812 Spider | Page 30 | FerrariChat

812 Spider

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by MalibuGuy, Sep 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Interesting to hear the 812 Spider completely over shadows the F8 Spider....

Stradalelover and JagShergill like this.
  2. mepassione

mepassione Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    Passione
    It did... by far

Stradalelover and JagShergill like this.
  3. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    In fairness, that’s more down to the fact that the audience had come to see a V12 spider (so they’re not necessarily the V8 spider market) and a V8 spider, although beautiful, is not exactly exciting rather predictable. One could go further and argue the F8 isn’t very exciting and probably wasn’t supposed to happen at all...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. Trax

Trax Formula 3

May 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Douglas
    Its even more impressive that there are no leaked photos when you realise the silver car was built 6 months ago at a guess based on the Vin which was 244602

5. nycbrose

nycbrose Karting

Aug 11, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Trax, what do you think of the car so far?

6. Trax

Trax Formula 3

May 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Douglas
    Thought the silver car looked great
    Didn't like the red car - color made the car look all wrong imo
    Although as mentioned a few of the lines have changed don't think it really mattered
    I'm guessing the special paint will be another one of those €25,000 options
    I was really surprised that they would go for a brown interior for a launch car because they did the same thing years ago with the FF - but this time it looked really good
    Will be interesting to see when they say the car will go into production but can't imagine many will be delivered in 2020.

What I couldn't understand was why they didn't let us hear the exhaust since they kept going on about how great it was in the video - makes you wonder how the filters have changed the sound (especially when the reviews are saying the F8 doesn't sound as good as the Pista)

I did actually really like the design of the F8 Spider - for once they have actually got a car which looks almost as good with the top on as off
    but as someone else on here said the sort of customers they invited were unlikely to order the F8 - then again perhaps that why they invited wives to the event

7. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    IMHO

8. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    You don’t care about how the car sounds...? This is what you’re implying by saying you don’t care about GPF. I, for one, do care and am suspicious they didn’t let us hear the car at the event.

I will still order one, but there is a chance we will be hugely disappointed by the loss of the sharp V12 sound. Doesn’t appear that after market mods can remove a GPF either.

I appreciate this topic has been discussed ad naseum but I think it is very important and Ferrari have been less than forthcoming with info when I’ve asked

of2worlds, Caeruleus11 and Bundy like this.
  9. LandandcarsAZ

LandandcarsAZ Karting

Jun 14, 2018
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Probably will get a “hot pipe” system from F8 to pipe in natural sounds to cover GPF shortcomings. I want to be wrong but is what it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  10. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    For those that haven’t seen it, this is the kind of thing that has me worried (link below). All F8s have the GPF fitted. Sure, it’s a turbo vs. Naturally aspirated v12, but to me it destroys the argument of ‘don’t worry, Ferrari will make a car sound good despite GPF’...

Tim Riley and of2worlds like this.
  11. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I called Novitec's main office in Stetten, Germany this week and spoke with an engineer. When I asked if they are developing a GPF replacement pipe or aftermarket mod, his response was simply: "Not possible."

of2worlds and Caeruleus11 like this.
  12. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Terrible

13. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    That sounds dreadful.

14. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I am saying that there's nothing one can do about GPF. It's legislated and all manufacturers are in the same boat here. I trust Ferrari will do their best within these constraints but it's not worth 20 pages on FerrariChat...

15. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Incorrect.
    It is always worth discussing things that matter. When you say “there is nothing we can do about it,” I cringe inside at that abject powerless sheep mentality.
    The ONLY way you can do something about anything is to recognize it, discuss it, and plan accordingly.
    Firstly, the USA does not require GPF so if Ferrari is going to make cars for Australia market that apparently can’t have GPF for fuel-type reasons then they DON’T have to make GPF for the USA either.
    Secondly, I can say that the 812 GTS better blow my socks off when I see the pictures and better sound pretty damn close to my F12 because if those aren’t true then their Euro-masters-groveling-GPF will close my checkbook...forever.

LARRYH, Surfah, of2worlds and 7 others like this.
  16. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I agree with you except to say its worth an infinite number of f-chat pages- but- we have to accept reality.

cesman likes this.
  17. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Other way round

18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Indeed.

For me the GPF debate has become truly tiring and stale at this point. I don't like the GPF, but it is what it is.

My problem with this whole debate is that it seems to completely focus on the negatives, and nothing is left to the positives.
    No debates on how nice it will drive, or how fun and fast it will feel with the top down. No debate on the looks and what we like etc.
    It's become the same dull repetitive chant being repeated. Sometimes I feel like I'm watching a spoiled kid with a tantrum repeating "I don't wanna!" while stomping his feet. Hell, we haven't even heard or driven the car yet, and all that there's focus on is the GPF and how unfair and horrible it all is.

I'm sorry if this offends or if someone feels targeted. I'm not lookjng to target anybody personally, I'm just a bit worn on all the negative stuff being repeated over and over about this whole GPF thing.

I'm sure it will be an awesome car, and I think the most important thing is how the car drives.

Lukeylikey and Caeruleus11 like this.
  19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    What???

LandandcarsAZ likes this.
  20. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Our group is VIP and probably one of the last groups - so hopefully after that :)

21. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    100% agree - US, APAC, Japan etc count for a large amount of Ferrari sales and having two variants should not pose a problem if they want to do it.

of2worlds and Bundy like this.
  22. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    They won't do it as they would be paying a penalty for what they produce in Italy, not what they sell in the US.
    So for this to happen, maybe the price of the vehicles in the US would climb 80k per unit. And that would not sell.

23. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    With all due respect, anyone paying $450,000 ++ for a car has every right to be demanding and get what they want -- or in the case of GPF, what they DON'T want.

LARRYH, Jordan68, JTSE30 and 6 others like this.
  24. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    #749 Bundy, Sep 5, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    Respectfully, the reality is that Ferrari is not required to force these EU regulations onto its American, Japanese, Middle Eastern, etc, customers. I accept the turbo-related sound hit of the V8 Pista engine because that engine provides legitimate performance advantages over its NA predecessor. GPF on a NA v12 has no redeeming qualities.

IMHO, it’s also very appropriate to discuss at this point in this thread given that Ferrari seems particularly reluctant to let preview attendees hear the 812 Spider engine this week. I don’t remember that being the case at the 812 coupe Maranello preview which I attended. I’m far from a conspiracy theorist but that seems worrisome.

The melodious NA V12 goes back to the very beginning of the company and is a HUGE part of the Ferrari DNA. At least for me.

Thecadster, JTSE30, DRYHOLE and 11 others like this.
  25. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    This is a very key point. Ferrari most certainly could produce both EU-spec 812 w/GPF and ROW-spec 812 w/o GPF. Of course doing so complicates production and thus drives up cost. But what is more important, keeping Ferrari clientele happy and buying cars, or keeping costs low to please shareholders?

DRYHOLE, Shack, of2worlds and 3 others like this.