No Start with clicking sound on 2006 F430 F1 | FerrariChat

No Start with clicking sound on 2006 F430 F1

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by nrad, Sep 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nrad

nrad Rookie

Sep 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    Alex Reese
    My F430 F1 would not start after taking it off the CTEK charger yesterday...it made the rapid click sound and gave all kinds of error mssgs like the "no CST" symbol and the triangles under the car tires symbol.

I disconnected the battery from the terminals for about an hour today and gave it another try, this time there were no error messages and it displayed "OK"...but it still would not start (I think the click sound was less rapid). I wouldn't think it's a battery charge issue since the battery is only 1-2yrs old and has been on the charger, also the lights & sounds etc. are all there unlike when the battery is low.

Any thoughts? I read somewhere there is a reset operation? I am a novice so any easy fixes appreciated.

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    By "lights", do you mean headlights, too?

What kind of battery do you have? There have been quite a few stories of Optima batteries failing prematurely since they shifted production to China.

Can you check your battery voltage? (with and without the charger on). For cars older than yours, I would normally recommend buying one of those cigarette lighter battery checkers, but your cigarette lighter may not be powered until the ignition is turned on (i.e. you don't get to see what the battery voltage is without a demand on it).

How old is your charger/conditioner?

f355spider likes this.
  3. nrad

nrad Rookie

Sep 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    Alex Reese
    THANKS for the response

*Update*...it just started up! All I had done since disconnecting the battery is letting it charge for maybe 4 hours.

The lights were always working. I forget the battery type and unfortunately the brand is not really visible without taking it out I think...but it's not Optima.

My CTEK charger is less than a year old. Not sure what happened but clearly something went wrong electrically.

f355spider and Qavion like this.
  4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    It is possible your Ctek is acting up and allowed your battery to discharge. After the unplugging and reconnecting, it reset and started charging again. I have seen a similar condition with the factory Ferrari Ctek. For that reason I lost confidence in it, and started using the Granite Battery Saver brand tender. I also have a Griots Garage battery tender. Both work flawlessly.

Red 27 and Qavion like this.
  5. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    What 355spider said. How old is your battery? It might be weak and on its way out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell

7. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Just like any other component, a battery can be defective from brand new or fail very quickly. Just because a battery is only 1-2 years old doesn't mean that it is good. The CTEK unit that you have is not a battery charger, but a maintainer. It will slowly charge a good battery that was discharged, taking a period of a few days, but it will not bring a sulfated battery bad from a deep discharge.
    Take the battery to a battery store and have them test it, or measure the voltage at the terminals while you are trying to crank it. If it drops below 10.5v during cranking, then it is time for a new battery.

Unless you are driving your car every day and then immediately putting it on the battery tender when you are done, then the battery is going to have a short life.
    The original factory Ferrari batteries (Fiamm) are crap and most don't make it past the warranty period of the car.

I am 99.99% sure that you need a new battery. Get a good quality AGM battery (not an Optima) and keep the maintainer on it at all times and you will be fine

f355spider and Qavion like this.
  8. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Brian, what is the solution for 430 Scuderia owners saddled with a battery tray formed to only accept the Optima red top 34R AGM battery? Get a regular F430 battery tray?

9. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    Just want to share my experience with the battery that came with my F430....every time the engine started the instrument cluster would display the upward arrows with the car above( suspension error) after the immediate restart this display would disappear.
    My battery at that time was always on the factory charge..when measured voltage was observed it showed 12.7v after sitting this should indicate a very healthy battery but it was not the case. When testing the battery with a high end midtronics battery tester it said replace the battery...not even giving the option for recharge. I replaced the battery with a later generation interstate problem solved.
    It never showed that error display again.
    These vehicles are temperamental to battery wellness...as mentioned above.

10. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    The problem with a voltage test it is a less accurate test of battery capacity. The reason is there is a "float" or "surface" charge on the battery right after a drive or taking it off the battery tender. To get an accurate test by voltage, there is a procedure where you turn on the headlights for about 2 minutes. Then, turn them off and let the battery recover for a couple minutes, then do the voltage check. (I may have the procedure incorrect, but you get the idea). This takes that surface charge out, and gives a truer indication of battery capacity. Ultimately, I simply bought an electronic battery load tester, as this gives me a more accurate and repeatable test. They are not terribly expensive and very handy to have. I will perform this test every 6 months or so on my cars and truck and gives me early warning to a weak battery before it leaves me stranded. I discovered my truck battery was weak a few months ago and replaced it.

11. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    That is 100% correct.!
    That is what the high end load testers are performing..like the midtronics.