Pros & Cons to cardio first thing in the morning | FerrariChat

Pros & Cons to cardio first thing in the morning

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by azzurribaggio, Jul 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. azzurribaggio

azzurribaggio Formula Junior

So for the past several months I go for a brisk hour walk right when I wake ( Fitbit tells me I do about 8,000+ steps ). Even before I take a drink of water or food. My thought is my body will burn more fat because that's all it can use for fuel since I haven't eaten or drunk anything. At least that is the theory.
    But wanted to get others comments?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    There is no right answer. Lots of people do fasted cardio. I do it on the weekends.

Ultimately, you have to find what works best for you and your time and body. As long as you aren't noticing any negatives keep doing it. In the end whatever your goal is it boils down to diet and exercising consistency.

3. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    Drink water

ag512bbi likes this.
  4. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Everybody is different. The only thing the same is: DRINK LOTS OF WATER!!!!!

285ferrari and crinoid like this.
  5. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    On an empty stomach, look into taking a supplement ketone. It provides faster burn of fat and
    Is a natural occurring element that happens in the liver that burns fat when there are no carbs to burn. If you do not eat, take this before your walk

6. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    When I'm on Army time I almost exclusively work out at zero dark thirty with nothing in my stomach, and tend to feel a lot better the rest of the day.

At home though, it's usually not in the schedule, so it's a light breakfast, lots and lots of water, then I skip lunchtime to try to run around 1PM, then come back and eat a little.

Lately I've been eating smaller dinners, and then doing 5-8 miles of intense mountain biking at 730-830PM. Which is great because you're pushing when your body is tired from the day, but the downside is not being able to settle after and fall asleep easily.

Cardio with no food in your body is good for fat burn, but as mentioned about, water plays a big part here in both hydration and energy.

7. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    It has been proven that fasted cardio is of negligible benefit. Interestingly, there have been studies that have shown people with little stamina or small blocks of time can reap similar benefits from cardio that is broken up throughout the day vs. that which is done all at once. I don't care to test that, but it is worth mentioning, especially for the novices out there.

I have been running and lifting for 22 years, very rarely in a fasted state, and have maintained my fitness and body fat levels even now that I'm starting on the backside of the hill...whatever that means. :) Only problem I've had running soon after dinner is I tend to get "lights" in my eyes and a little sleepiness, usually around the 15 minute mark, from the oxygen being diverted to the digestive tract. Clears up pretty quickly and I always plow through. Again, worth mentioning. I look at it as accidental hypoxic training, but some may find it weird and uncomfortable. I'm used to it after all this time, and it's really only an "issue" if I'm a bit too close to dinner.

Of course, if it makes you feel good to get up in the morning and go for it, by all means, do it!! I am admittedly NOT a morning person. :)

Maximus1977 likes this.
  8. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Depends. On a vigorous bike ride without nutrition, it’s a guaranteed way to bonk. Ask me how I know.....

9. Maximus1977

Maximus1977 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2016
    Correct.
    Recent research has clearly proven that doing cardio fed or fasted has the exact same effect. In fact, there was a slight benefit in fat oxidation when fed.
    But for G's sake, drink any fluid before doing cardio. being dehydrated will surely kill any benefit from doing cardio.

Chupacabra likes this.
  10. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    May kill you as well! A lot of people do not realize how much water you lose during even a shorter run, especially in the heat.

Todd308TR and Maximus1977 like this.
  11. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    We have about 3 days worth of sugar/carbs stored in our muscles. Starting at the 18th hour of a real fast you are already burning more fat.
    Read Stop Eat Stop.