Who should replace Vettel? | Page 16 | FerrariChat

Who should replace Vettel?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Flavio_C, Jul 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Who should replace Vettel?

1. Alonso

2. Rosberg

3. Button

4. Barrichello

5. Other (please mention)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Agree
    People who are thinking right now that Alonso or Ricciardo could be a serious threat for Leclerc and Verstappen are just wrong.
    It's already over for them.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  2. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    #377 daytona355, Sep 11, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    How do you even begin to state that Elton beat Alonso when they ended up with almost identical results? That makes no sense, especially as you and your friends here use the same arguments the reverse way to try to claim that Rosberg shouldn’t have been champion as Elton beat him really save for some mechanical failure in 2016. Of course, if you were to accept the near miss of 2016 as deserving of Elton, then you also have to say that Rosberg could be the moral champ in 2014 and 2015, when only mechanical failures, and Elton crashing Rosberg out of the lead on many occasions and being able to continue meant Elton won those titles rather than Rosberg, plus the fact mercedes were very vocal on support over Rosberg for Elton, even PUBLICLY humiliating Rosberg at the request of Elton for crashes caused by Elton punting Rosberg from behind and therefore not under the control of
    Rosberg at all

Michael beat everyone that he needed too (and from memory did have a former champion as teammate at one point in the benneton too, but while he beat that champ, the car was not capable of even being close to a title winning car), and the fact that ferrari always favoured a one leader/one clear number two meant he didn’t have to battle a pier in the same car, exactly as Elton is paired with bottles, and how they expected him to be with Rosberg, save Rosberg matched or beat him in 45% of races, thus his performances were lacking compared to expectations

Elton only found himself against Alonso by default, joining as a rookie, and McLaren decided early on to cash in on an obvious marketing advantage of the fast rookie allowing Elton to challenge Alonso, and actively favoured Elton over the then champion. There was also a personal situation within the team between alonso and Dennis that destroyed their ability to work together very early into 2007, which is not, and likely will never, be formally revealed unless Alonso writes a memoire and includes details, but if you were close to management at McLaren at the time you may find out.

When paired with button, he did not destroy jenson as he was expected, far from it, he spent those years on a par with jenson, unable to draw clear despite the fact, according to you, he is a clear tier above such a driver. He resorted to twitter campaigns and threats to try to gain advantage when his driving did not gain the results, even accusing the stewards of being racists when they didn’t tow the line and favour him

If you took Elton and out him into a direct challenge with Michael in the cars of
    Michaels generation, Elton’s weak mental stability would have seen him destroyed by Michael, and his reckless actions when being beaten with the careless lunges andcrashing round that characterised his battles with other equals like Rosberg and massa would have seen him punted into the wall almost every weekend. He would have been destroyed as were every other driver by the machine that was Michael, and as he is so useless as feedback, he would have been unable to guide the development of the car, which back then was an essential part of being the best, and at which Michael is known to have excelled

Forza Ferrari..... the only racing team and car marque that matters. Italia forever It’s easier to apologise than it is to ask permission

fil, SimCity3 and Nortonious like this.
  3. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    They had high hopes for Gio, but looking like he won't be upgraded anytime soon.

So they have a handful of academy drivers in F3/F2 ,including of course Schumi jnr.Plus Armstrong/Schwartzman etc who are shining bright.

I don't think Schumi J has shown enough yet to replace Gio for 2020.

So my guess is they will let Vettel see out his contract next year,in the meantime deciding about the others.

Kimi looks set for more years so the heat has to be on Gio who might be replaced for 2020.With the hope whoever that is steps up in 2021 alongside Leclerc.

There is always a chance to take a driver from outside.

I'm 360 Canuck and ingegnere like this.
  4. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Kimi

nerofer likes this.
  5. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Ferrari need a solid second driver, one to maximise his position but contractually defer to LeClerc. That’s how you win championships, not by having two drivers that are equals. LeClerc is proving a talent, and if ferrari don’t put their weight behind him and show that they want to retain that talent, nurture it, and make him a champion, he will likely go to someone else.

That’s said, we MUST improve the car itself, at the moment, LeClerc is likely happy getting the odd pole and a win when it’s there, soon though he will crave a proper battle for a championship, he will feel he is ready, and if Ferrari are not, we might lose him anyway to a rival

ingegnere, Sig. Roma and VPX like this.
  6. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet

Don't worry, bar verstappen there is no other driver with the same driving skills than Charles.
    Most worrying thing is the car itself.
    If Ferrari doesn't deliver a title contender car , Charles won't wait three years before leaving the ship .

7. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
  8. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Not impressed by GIO. In fact, quite disappointed.

Definitely not an improvement over Vettel.

william, Albert-LP and 375+ like this.
  9. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    If Leclerc will be awarded by Ferrari the status of top pilot, he won't ever leave Ferrari. Actual Leclerc would have won last year championship, where Vettel threw away several victories with disappointing stupid errors.

Ciao

fil and VPX like this.
  10. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    KImi is in pre-retirement now.

11. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    His performance this season belies that, he has annihilated his much younger teammate.

Jack-the-lad, daytona355 and VPX like this.
  12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

And so he should with all his experience !
    Gio isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, is he?

Raikkonen is now content with pedaling a 2nd tier car mid-field for pure enjoyment, and I cannot see him being of any use at Ferrari.
    Ferrari has to look to the future, not in the past to recruit new talent.
    They should scout the lower categories and try to find another Leclerc/Verstappen/ Albon/Norris, and rebuild a team on new blood.

13. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

+1

Hamilton had Uncle Ron in his corner.

Alonso did not.

14. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Do you not know what happens if two drivers get the same pionts? How the FIA will determine the winner? According to the FIA Hamilton beat Alonso, in a car he did not have to do miles of testing in. PERIOD. I admit Hamilton's faults, but you won't admit Schumi's team mates was trash, and he got beat by Rosberg. But he is still great. You rather make excuses which shows there maybe a lack of confidence. If Schumi had faults or got beat, be a real Schumi fan and SAY IT!

ATBNM3 and william like this.
  15. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Schumi had Ross brawn and Totdt in his corner, you see how excuses get us no where?

16. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    #391 intrepidcva11, Sep 11, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    In a strong car Kimi is still a very competitive driver; perhaps not a consistent race winner but a very useful #2.

But a better thought: how about luring Vallteri Bottas from Mercedes? He is clearly a race winner in a good car, will keep Charles lively on his toes and able to win if and when Charles' car malfunctions. And I believe he is under contract to M-B only through this year.

17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

You don't believe in looking for new talents then ?

18. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Sir William, I'm surely not opposed to new talent. But when one is competing for a world championship and believes the team already has a potential world champion, a second driver with deep experience in setting up the car and the potential to win in the event that the car of #1 malfunctions, I'd much rather have that guy rather than experimenting to find out if we have another top driver. And doing more cultivating. And there's only so much excess psychic energy in a team, given all the multifarious demands hat exist.

daytona355 likes this.
  19. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
  20. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Same points means the same points. Just because they have to count back positions to make a table up doesn’t change SAME POINTS.

again, not bullying, just correcting your fanciful statements

Forza Ferrari..... the only racing team and car marque that matters. Italia forever It’s easier to apologise than it is to ask permission

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Alonso ?

Hahaha

Who wants him ?

ATBNM3 and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  22. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Ok- I know u are trying to be fair but how was Michael not weak for pathetically trying to crash out Villeneuve in 97? Or hill in 94? Schumacher wasn’t bullet proof.
    I would agree he is better than Lewis but stop living in the past. It’s over. Schumacher couldn’t beat rosberg when he came back. Don’t forget that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ATBNM3, william and ktu like this.
  23. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I don’t need to take any advice mate, I’m happy remembering the drives of a lifetime Michael made almost every single race. You chose to interpret them differently, go ahead. Doesn’t bother me at all

24. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Schumacher and Senna were both flawed. Believe it or not, all of these guys are actually human after all.

ATBNM3, william, daytona355 and 2 others like this.
  25. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    I don't think Ferrari should wait to 2021, and suffer with Vettel for another year. And I think two young hungry drivers such as Leclerc and Lando will actually enjoy racing each other, much more than having team orders. And it will put a fire in the team. Just turn them loose and let them race. Ferrari has suffered enough bad years sticking to the old "tried and true" strategies. Mercedes is a strong team with lots of talent...but I'm also starting to feel a staleness about them. They've won both championships this year...but the story of the season is Leclerc and what he is bringing to Ferrari. Now give him a young team mate from his own generation. You cannot buy with money or older more experienced has-beens, the energy and enthusiasm a Leclerc-Norris chemistry will bring to the team in 2020. That is a combination that will put everyone in the pits on their toes...and not our of fear but out of desire. A secret ingredient in F1 is that unexplainable magic that sometimes happens when the stars cross at the right time. That is what Ferrari needs now and in 2020.