Portofino Inventory | FerrariChat

Portofino Inventory

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by wrs, Sep 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I was dropping off my 488 at the dealer yesterday for it's annual service and to my surprise, they had three Portofinos in stock. One was untitled and was well optioned at about $275k. The second was medium optioned and only four months old. They were asking $10k less than MSRP. The third one I think was also untitled because it's not showing up on the used listings for the dealer but it was for sale, I just didn't ask about it.

The untitled one was one that a customer didn't take delivery of. I am not sure about the other one. I was surprised that there was a used one this quickly but I guess I shouldn't be. The customer that bought it, traded it for a used 488 so I guess they didn't think it was fast enough or sporty enough.

What really surprised me was that Ferrari was acting like a real car dealer by offering a discount from MSRP for a 700 mile car that was only 4 months old. I would expect that at MB or Porsche but not Ferrari.

2. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Numerous dealers have used Portofino's already with minimal miles on them below MSRP. Not unusual.

Grandmaster likes this.
  3. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Meh . . . . Not exactly the days of 308GT4s and Mondials.

gatorgreg likes this.
  4. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    The exact number in inventory is probably a closely held secret.

On a lark, I went to cars dot com and asked for their list of all 2019 Portofinos for sale, new and used. I'm sure they use robots to gather their information, so if a dealer doesn't put a car on their web site, it does not get counted.

What I found was 1 new and 31 used, with most of the used being listed as CPOs with hardly any miles. Considering wrs's comments, there was only 1 Portofino listed in Texas and that was at Ferrari of Houston, a red with black interior. Interestingly, probably half the cars listed were at various Ferrari dealers in Florida

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Any with no shields and an interesting color?

I have cars.com send me alerts on new Portos and price drops. Alerts almost daily. There's gonna be some juicy deals on great cars for those patient enough...T

ScottS, Bravo68 and Chizz like this.
  6. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    It looks as if ferrari has now saturated the market with their cars. I have a portofino with less than 1k miles with incoming Pista and was offerred 20% off MSRP. I was shocked to hear this but then again I guess with introducing 5 models this year, the "lure" or exclusiveness of an F car is going down. 5 years ago I was offered barely under MSRP for my 458 but didn't sell as it has a very specail car that I truly adore.

The times of buying any F car and moving onto another model (higher up on the price scale) without losing much is history. It's all about profits and no longer about the LM era of protecting the brand from losing its value. I'm not trying to be a snob but I had always aspired to have a ferrari because it was different maybe also because it was hard to obtain but if my neighbor has one, then its not so much exclusive for me anymore. It would seem that in few years they will be very common as porsches.

Chizz, sampelligrino and crinoid like this.
  7. Griffon83

Griffon83 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2016
    Greece
    Full Name:
    Nassos
  8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ScottS likes this.
  9. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Its amazing to see such inventory. I think times they are a changing.

We will see how it plays out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    So what I want to know is why all these used Portofinos are showing up on the market. I only know the one they have on their website here in Austin was traded for a 488 after only owning it four months. I guess some were also purchased to get a Pista as well. I know of one person that bought a Porto and a Lusso to get the Pista.

I do remember in late 2016, a lot of Cali T inventory showed up because it was people who wanted a 488 Spider and were told to order a Cali T first. That is why I bought mine, aside from the fact that I liked it.

11. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    I believe that many Portofinos were ordered then those individuals got the opportunity to get a Pista as in my case and don't have enough garage space so need to unload. In addition, per the rules can't sell them until 6 months have expired which is why the inventory has gone up suddenly.

wrs likes this.
  12. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    So you mean they are only giving you 80% of what the car cost you a month ago in exchange for the Pista? I didn't quite understand the 20% off MSRP comment.

13. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    Yes, I'm being offerred close to 80% of sales price and I've had the car for 8 months now. Since there are so many portofinos available, I suspect that dealers realize that they will have to give some sort of discount to sell them hence the offer being made to me.

14. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    UGH, that sucks. I took a 17% hit on my Cali T HS a year ago last May but that was after over a year of ownership and the introduction of the Portofino. This is a bigger hit in a shorter time on the latest and greatest, wow.

15. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    To be expected, they are going to be pumping these cars out fast! If there is no deal to be had by the buyer it will be hard to move. As a new buyer, off the lot means a discount because realistically the wait time is about 6months for what you really want - ain't bad! Ironically Lusso's have held up well because from what I understand they are not as easy to come by and those that may have bought them for Pistas ended up keeping them as their DDs.

16. John458

John458 Karting

Nov 24, 2014
    Ohio

Wait! You were able to get delivery on a Pista by purchasing a Portofino? How many F cars have you bought from this dealer prior?

I would have done that in a heartbeat knowing I would lose $50k on Portofino! I still would!

17. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Well said. I totally agree

18. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    Ferrari is milking these chassis and engines in the good times. The Portofino, 458/488/F8, FF/Lusso, and F12/812/ TDF are all the same chassis with added features.
    The Portofino is not much of an upgrade from the Cali T. The market is responding.

19. Griffon83

Griffon83 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2016
    Greece
    Full Name:
    Nassos
  20. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  21. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    This is the dealers way of getting around not being able to sell a new car to customers who live outside their "territory" thus expanding their customer base.
    If the car is "used" ( even if it has 25 miles on it ) or a "demo" they have no such restrictions and can and will sell to anyone for the right price.
    Stealerships typically find a way to bend the rules when it's to their advantage.

22. Mother01

Mother01 Rookie

Dec 30, 2019
    Full Name:
    Marco SIlva
    Had the same conversation with my local Ferari dealer here in the UK. They are killing loyal customers who spend 250-300K on a brand new car only to be told its lost 100K in a year. Ferrari clearly wants to be more mainstream & sell more units which is why they introduced the Cali/T/Portofino & this will not change with the ridiculous SUV planned for 2021. They're using the 488 & below as customer fodder & these will attract large depreciation values, so some good deals to be had. They want you to spend even bigger money on the rarer SF90, etc., which should hold their value. My take is buy a nearly new & push for large discounts. You might be surprised.

Xrayv8 likes this.
  23. Florida Joe

Florida Joe Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    South Florida
    Interesting because I went to my local F dealership and they only had 2. One with a sold sign on it. Was thinking about ordering but i may wait to see how this plays out over the next 6 months.
    Sent from my H8314 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

24. Quietriot

Quietriot Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2018
    Agree with so many models being released. Who knows how the market will respond in 6 - 12 months.

25. bmcginn

bmcginn Karting

Dec 11, 2005
    So I have the other side of this discussion. I recently took delivery of a 2020 Portofino and freaking love the car. We ordered it in May, 2019 and had a terrific time spec’ng it out at the dealership, they organized a factory tour for us in September when we were in Italy, and then delivered the car to us when we got back. I fully expect to lose money on the car, but guess what, I don’t care. I’m thoroughly enjoying this car...life is too short to get hung up on the small stuff.