488 - I have a weekly issue | FerrariChat

488 I have a weekly issue

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Principissimo, Sep 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    I'm having the same problem every single Friday. This is killing me.

Let me explain it.

After 2 Posche Turbo S, a 458, a Huracan, a Huracan Performante and the 488 Spider I'm considering to buy a different car. Why? Simply cause I'm tending to go too fast cause my lead foot. Unfortunately I've made to many professional driving courses and, because of that, I tend to drive too fast on open roads.
    So spending my week thinking at what to buy next: GTC4, Continental GT, Wraith, Dawn, Taycan... I'm configuring dozens of cars, calling dealrs daily, changing my mind frequently.

Then Friday arrives.... I open my garage and I see my 488 Spider and tell myself "you are a jerk changing this beauty". So i drive it and fall again in love with it..... But I drive it too fast so on Monday this process starts again, and again, and again....

Please help me!!!!!

2. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Ditch the 488 Spider and order a F8 Spider and you wont think of any other car.

nickbains26 and Principissimo like this.
  3. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Bruno,

It is my firm belief that with either the Bentley Continental GT or the GTC4Lusso you will be very comfortable and relaxed, and the power is still there if you need it.

I think that if you want a change from a super sports car because it’s just too powerful and too uncompromising all the time, a 4-seater gran turismo is the way to go.

Just my humble opinion. Hope you find your new car soon and that you’re happy with your choice!

Cari saluti!

Nuno.

Caeruleus11 and Principissimo like this.
  4. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    GTC4 Lusso...I had a Continental GT new model, didn’t drive it much because it is less practical than the Lusso (believe it or not), less interesting to drive, less everything...So I sold it...I had a Taycan on order and just cancelled it because I don’t understand how to use it; too short range to do my trips in, inferior dynamically to the lighter Ferrari... and as much as I adore the Wraith I would be embarrassed to drive it...The Lusso is an incredible machine and it is a lot of fun to drive once you get used to the size of the thing...Now regarding your weekend problem, my answer is a little unconventional...have you considered the Portofino? Costs less than the Lusso, is more practical than the 488, beautiful (to my eyes at least) and dynamically far superior to the California...I used one as a DD for almost a year and I highly recommend it

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

5. Principissimo

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    Thanks my friend ;)

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  6. Principissimo

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    Interesting thank you ;)

7. Jordan68

Jordan68 Formula Junior

May 12, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jordan W
    I have a 488, FF, turbo s and SVR... My 812 will arrive in 2 months... My 488 is my faverote.... It's a keeper... No way to replace it... I am driving it daily... And everyday I love it more... So drive yours daily

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

8. Principissimo

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    That's another possibility!

Jordan68 likes this.
  9. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I would go back in time and get something slower , yet more visceral and involving.....first thing that comes to mind in the same general price range is a 550 Barchetta....or save money and get a Scuderia 16M.

And get value retention instead of losing tens of thousands to depreciation

Way2fast and johnr265 like this.
  10. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    Unless I lived somewhere with no traffic and could actually drive, a Tesla is the best commuter car. I find a Tesla and a sports car to be the best pair. Plus, if you spend all week driving a fast, but quite car, your sports car sounds absolutely amazing on the weekend!

Wazmo likes this.
  11. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    you poor thing..... Lol

I guess it really depends on your needs/wants, but there is nothing out there that I would switch a 488 Spider for that *wouldn't* give you the same problems of being too fast for open roads

That's how it goes with a modern supercar, they are just so insanely fast. Personally I'd never drive a Bentley or Rolls, but that's just me. Ironically I had the same problem as you with my Porsche GT3. That's why I'm really loving my 488 for the moment, I'm finding it to be a really enjoyable experience even just cruising lugging around in 6th gear enjoying the interior, the very cool looking dash displays and tach, the smell of the leather, the beautiful stitching, savoring all these little details. With the turbos, I can be going slow and then fast instantly and effortlessly. When I had my GT3, it was just like any other regular 991 around town or on regular roads. Not an event. So for me to enjoy that car, I was flying like a bat out of hell at illegal speeds to hear the 9k scream

If you are really that concerned about your lead foot, then only switch I'd make in your shoes is for an older Fcar. 360 CS, Scud, hell 355 but those won't have modern creature comforts you may be accustom to and who knows with maintenance stuff. I'm a sportscar guy through and through so I'd have a hard time going from 488 to Lusso or LussoT. Lusso V12 has had some PTU issues which can be eyeopening as reported by a few guys on Fchat, LussoT was actually very enjoyable for a test drive but I don't see how much slower you'd be going in that car. You just wouldn't feel it as much since you're more comfortable and insulated in the bigger car...

Maybe a Porsche 991 non Turbo model non GT model, but those won't hold a candle to a Ferrari in terms of that specialness

He has a lead foot problem/complaining his 488 is too fast and you suggest for him to get the 720HP replacement?

Cool to hear as someone also loving his 488

12. Principissimo

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    Thanks a lot my friend

13. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Is there another car in the garage?

One think you can try to do, and this is hard, try taking a little longer to build up speed. Yes, this is easy to say and somewhat difficult for most of us to do, but it has the benefit of not costing you anything more- and you can do it with any car. They are all so fast these days.

Principissimo likes this.
  14. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    This is why I like to have two sports cars. Rotate and keep the boredom to a minimum.

Boredom- with all. Ferrari. Lol- did type that? First world problems.

johnr265, Jordan68 and Principissimo like this.
  15. Principissimo

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    Two Smart, one Mini Clubman and a X6.
    And I only have my wife no children

16. Principissimo

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    I already use one so little :(

SoCal to az likes this.
  17. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Hummm... It seems to me you really love the 488 so I wouldn't move off that. I think you are like many of us, you love to drive, and drive with some gusto, I think you just have to pick and choose when and where. I doubt it helps much but maybe its worth changing the X6 for an FF or Lusso V12?

18. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Love this dilemma.

Anything worth your while to drive is not going to slow you down . You need to go to the track more.

19. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I like Jerry’s suggestion a lot, and personally I prefer the design lines of the FF than the GTC4Lusso, although the latter is obviously more evolved mechanically and electronically. Furthermore, FFs are a bargain.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Principissimo and Caeruleus11 like this.
  20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Drive it more so you get used to the speed and not so heavy on the right foot.

Principissimo and Caeruleus11 like this.
  21. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    This is called supercar fatigue. This is what I do - cover the car up. Force yourself not to touch, drive or think about it. When you feel the "withdrawal" of not seeing the car, hold on more one week, then drive it. Cycling through the trick with other cars you find boring. I did that with my toys.

Jordan68, ryalex and Principissimo like this.
  22. Principissimo

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    A lot of interesting suggestions my friends

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  23. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I know exactly what you are feeling. I drive my wife's giant SUV and I dawdle patiently in traffic, slowly manoeuvering like a large cruise ship. My other cars though...

I don't have a solution. The 458 is like a slightly disobedient horse that pushes me to go faster and faster. Usually in the morning I can commute in Sport / Auto and just cruise with the flow of traffic (I have a pretty short commute of only 12-15 mins, down one road). But I prefer to drive in Race / Manual... Sometimes I think maybe I shouldn't have gone with such a custom look to be so identifiable!

And even the Giulia QV has so much torque and easily power slides/drifts. Leads to temptation. Oddly, it's much quieter sound makes it deceptively faster to drive (presumably like 488).

Caeruleus11 and Principissimo like this.
  24. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Don't cover your car up. Car covers are horrid contraptions that only serve to ruin your paint.

25. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Gt3rs.2 with JCR Bi pass. Game over. You can thank me later. But yes I agree you need to have (at least) 2 sports cars. One more forgiving than the other.

Principissimo likes this.