Ferrari 488 Race Seat Lift | FerrariChat

Ferrari 488 Race Seat Lift

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by KMM316, Sep 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KMM316

KMM316 Rookie

Sep 13, 2019
    Orlando
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Just bought a 2016 488 with 600 miles. Loving this thing. Handles like no other car I’ve ever driven. My only issue is how low the Daytona racing seats are. I tried calling my local Ferrari dealership to ask if there was a seat lift kit for the 488 and didn’t get anywhere with that. I’ve read a few things on here but I am dying to lift the seat a bit. Can anyone point me in the right direction on getting the seat lifted? Is there a part available or something aftermarket? Thanks for any information you can send my way.

2. thebigo

thebigo Karting

Feb 10, 2019
    There are 3 available positions to adjust the seat height.

3. bobhitch

bobhitch Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I believe that the 3 position option was only in the 458 not the 488 where the seat height is fixed without the lifter option-might be a silly question , but did you not take a test drive first?

4. KMM316

KMM316 Rookie

Sep 13, 2019
    Orlando
    Full Name:
    Keith
    No test drive, purchased it from a reputable dealership out of my area after a lot of back and forth. The seat being too low never crossed my mind. It’s not a huge deal but if I am able to raise it a bit and achieve that perfect position where I feel most comfortable then I’m willing to pay to make that happen. In all my cars I like to sit high. I’m hoping there is a way that someone is aware of.

5. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Perhaps the optional seat lifter can be retrofitted; the option price in 2018 was $2,531. The vertical adjustability adds a dimension of comfort on longer drives.

6. KMM316

KMM316 Rookie

Sep 13, 2019
    Orlando
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Do you happen to know the part number? I also saw another post where someone had a 30mm aluminum lift made, I wish I was able to find out where he had it made.

7. veilstylez

veilstylez Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    I had my adjusted to the lowest setting on my car. Dealer changed me 400 for the labor....taking the seats off is a pain is what I hear but still expensive.
    If you look at the side of the seats, you'll see 3 level/holes for adjustments. The lifter kit option would be nice for other people/friends/wife that test drive your cars.

8. KMM316

KMM316 Rookie

Sep 13, 2019
    Orlando
    Full Name:
    Keith
    So your saying I could have dealership raise the seat up and it would be in a set position for me?

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  9. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    On my 458, I lifted the seat myself, using a couple of wrenches and the three hole adjust-ability built in to the seat mount brackets. Not hard to do, but just a little bit awkward relating to access. I ordered the seat lifter on the last 488, and its not a complicated mechanism; all manual (no electric motors). I swear its the same hardware as on my daughters GTI!

I'm very sure that you will be much better off avoiding trying to retrofit a factor seat lifter, unless you can find one from a salvage shop...not easy to do for a 488. The better bet is to fab up a bracket and bolt it in, assuming you can't get enough elevation from the existing holes. I'm 5'11, but I like to sit very high in the car...I feel like it gives me better visibility of the two front corners of the car while carving in the canyons :).

I'm sure you'll get it just right. There's nothing magical about Ferrari's seat mounting hardware. Hope this helps

10. KMM316

KMM316 Rookie

Sep 13, 2019
    Orlando
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I just looked and unfortunately this one doesn’t have those 3 holes adjustable brackets. It appears there is a slight lift under the seats now. I’m wondering if I had something like that made exception thicker. I need to figure something out. I’m 5’7” so, like you, I like to be higher up in my cars. Here is a photo of what the side of seat looks like now and what it looks like underneath it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
  12. KMM316

KMM316 Rookie

Sep 13, 2019
    Orlando
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Mighty Joe likes this.
  13. veilstylez

veilstylez Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    wow the set up on the 488 is different, that sucks
    This is how mine looks....maybe thats why they made the lift option for the 488.

Attached Files:

14. Anindith Reddy

Apr 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Anindith Reddy
    Thats wierd. I have a 2018 488 with race seats and mine has the 3 holes to adjust the seat height.

15. Hexproject

Hexproject Rookie

Feb 14, 2015
    were you able to retro fit the part?

16. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Now that we got the seat issue resolved....how about some pics of your new ride! These 488's are stunningly good looking IMO!

17. BDUBB

BDUBB Rookie

May 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    BRANDON
    I'm also 5'7, looking to purchase a 488 with Large Race Seats, problem is that it doesn't seem to have a lifter. How did you solve this problem?

18. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
  19. BDUBB

BDUBB Rookie

May 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    BRANDON