812 Spider | Page 50 | FerrariChat

812 Spider

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by MalibuGuy, Sep 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Actually well put:

Forget that V6 Dino revival nonsense, throw the dogs a bone with a hybrid V8 whatever, but at the top should always be a scorching, screaming V12 that reminds everybody you should feel a Ferrari coming down the road, not just see or hear it.

stavura, Bundy, Griffon83 and 5 others like this.
  2. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    of2worlds and Art_collector like this.
  3. Art_collector

Art_collector Karting

Jul 13, 2019
  4. TAM340R

TAM340R Karting

Jul 26, 2015
    Would this GRIGIO GTS color be available for other models ?

Tam

5. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Sure, tailor made, special paint by Zanasi. Probably delays car at least six more months.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds likes this.
  6. TAM340R

TAM340R Karting

Jul 26, 2015

Did not know that....they send the cars to be painted there ? @!...?

Tam

7. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Same as what happened with LaFerraris etc.

Marcel Massini

8. TAM340R

TAM340R Karting

Jul 26, 2015
    The 812GTS is not a high high end model ....I suppose that FERRARI is also well "tooled" to achieve the painting in-house ....what is the logique ?

Tam

9. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    The rarer & more expensive the color option chosen the more likely it is not to be painted on the regular line (and quite often significantly delayed)

I believe a recent example of significant delays was the Portofino ordered in the new launch color !

10. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Has zero to do with the model. It depends if it is a one-off/special color.
    There are plenty of threads on ferrarichat that deal with this situation already.
    Use the search function.

Marcel Massini

Eilig likes this.
  11. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Work in progress :D

stavura, Shack, mofatmi9 and 5 others like this.
  12. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    “In architectural terms, a buttress is defined as a structural member built against or projecting from a wall serving as a support or reinforcement”. The buttress as applied to Ferrari spiders isn’t so much a structural element but a styling and an aerodynamic feature. The buttresses on the rear of the Aperta 2005 when viewed sideways are very similar in design to the ones of the 812 GTS demonstrating that this feature has been in use in modern Ferraris V12 front engine for at least fourteen years. In 2012/2013 renders of a F12 Spider were published and then we saw an evolution of the Aperta buttresses to something more like a “hunchback” as already existed on the F420 Spider 2005. The F12 TRS 2014 was the first open top front engine V12 modern Ferrari to fully apply to the rear this concept of the buttresses like hunchbacks. The concept was later applied to the SP3 JC rear design and now to the 812 GTS.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I hope it is structural, otherwise I would be really worried if the car overturned... One of the many reasons I prefer coupes over convertibles.

14. Elisesko

Elisesko Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2016
    Like Marcel said. Here is an old one. $15,000 painted shields.

F40org, MDEL, Wheels1 and 1 other person like this.
  15. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    As @MDEL says, the buttresses are not structural. They simply cover the the fixed rollover hoops immediately behind the seats.

MDEL likes this.
  16. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Same difference... As long as there is something sturdy behind my head, I am happy. They are not there just for aero purposes, that is the whole point.

17. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario

I also prefer coupes over convertibles.
    The buttresses are part of the moving boot cover A) as seen in the picture. The tip of the buttresses B) locks the moving boot cover over C) which is the element behind the seats that acts as the roll-bar in the eventuality of a roll-over.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Thanks for posting that
    I’d seen it years ago and was recently looking for it again, unsuccessfully.

19. Elisesko

Elisesko Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2016
    No problem! Took me many combinations of Google words for it to finally pop up. Thought they might have taken it down.

C50 likes this.
  20. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    They do that but also are an integral part of the foldable roof system. Should they have decided to avoid the buttresses, the roof system and anti-roll devices would have had to be very different. Bottom line for me is that it's a lazy design because they simply chose to use very similar retractable hardtop like in many past models. Many would have preferred a cleaner look, those buttresses are pretty big, visually disturbing IMO.

Classic racing car buttresses started for aerodynamic reasons (minimizing drag behind driver's head), eventually coming handy for structural/rollover and aesthetic reasons.

@MDEL there was never an official F12 spider sketch/render. Also the buttresses in the TRS are smaller than the usual ones and look really nice, but then again that's a one-off and doesn't have a retractable roof. BTW you're confusing Superamerica with SA Aperta.

BarryK and Bundy like this.
  21. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Garretto likes this.
  22. ScuderiaDE

ScuderiaDE Rookie

Jun 7, 2010
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus Ballast
    The color on that car is a special Maserati paint color called "Grigio Alfieri"

23. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Can I ask where you got that information from? I know Grigio Alfieri very well from the Maserati Granturismo and i would say it is a much lighter shade than the 'Grigio GTS' car.

24. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Looks like that's not correct, according to the plate. Maybe they're similar colours but it's very clear: "Grigio GTS"