What towns in NC mtns for 2nd home? | Page 7 | FerrariChat

What towns in NC mtns for 2nd home?

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by SCantera, Jul 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
  2. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
  3. juliei

juliei Formula Junior
    Owner

Apr 5, 2009
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Julie I.
    Steve, it has been great watching your post start out as a thought and inquiry in 2009 and finish as a dream come true in 2011. Congratulations. Thank you to you and your wife for showing us your slice of heaven.

4. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Thank you Julie. It was good to show you our pride and joy in Blowing Rock. I remember that I was not sure how much Kathleen would like being in the mountains. After all she is a Florida girl all the way. The funny thing is that now she loves it so much she wants to stay up there. She left home here in FL this past Sunday for a week in the mtns....without inviting me!! She told me to stay home and get to work!! :eek:

5. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    Just found this thread. I enjoyed reading the entire process and all the information given about the different areas of NC. And of course, the house looks fantastic!

So Steve, its been a few years now. Would you mind sharing if you have enjoyed it there, what are some things you may dislike, if you had to do it all over again, etc?

6. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Brandon........this thread ended over 7 years ago. A lot has happened since my last post in '12. Including an ending to my 35 year marriage! I only was able to enjoy that beautiful Blowing Rock home for 2 summers before giving it away in the "great divestiture" to my ex. Oh well. Life moves on.

However funny you should ask....."if you had to do it all over again?" In fact I did. On many fronts. Found the love of my life and have been with her for almost 6 years and loving more every day. And I came back to find another location in the mountains that was better than the first in Blowing Rock. About 3 years ago my girl and I found a 48 acre property for sale that is about 35 minutes W of Asheville. It's near Maggie Valley and Waynesville. But the amazing part of the find was that this property has about 1/2 mile of mountain stream and a 65' high cascading waterfall. We built our new home at the base of the waterfall. We designed the home to take advantage of the view of the falls from the Kitchen, Dining, Living and MBR and even my 2nd floor office. As I type this the view of the falls is right in front of me. The elevation here is just over 3500. The hottest day this summer was 82 degrees. Evenings are always cool. We open the windows in our bedroom and sleep to the sound of the water from the falls and the stream going by.

We named our property Living Falls. We finished construction of the home in June of 17. This is our 2nd year of living here year-round after both of us left homes in FL. And just today I began construction on my new dream garage at the other end of the property. It will be built out of logs and timber frame with approx 3000 sf under roof. It will hold 8 cars including my small RV and also house my man cave. At some point it will also serve as a guest house with a suite or two on the 2nd floor.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Living Falls is our new slice of paradise. Once all the construction is complete I will be holding an FCA event or two here in the mountains w/ Living Falls serving as part of the festivities. I will keep you in mind when it happens sometime next year.

Thecadster, nicholasn and AD211 like this.
  7. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    Nice, this is a special property. Malcolm

8. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Hey I hate to break the news to everyone but Steve is totally right and is in a 10 times better spot and uncalcuably happier -known Steve for years and have never see him or anyone
    happier - But he never mentioned who he was visiting while looking and buying - ME I was trying to get him to buy by me but the watetfalls got them both

9. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    True. When we found it on-line the agent said to park by the road and follow the stream. We couldn't see the waterfall after bush-wacking through the woods for 1/4 mile along the stream. But when we got to the base of the falls and looked up we were blown away. I know a great property when I see it. And this was the best I have ever had the opportunity to make our home. I bought it the very next day. I still pinch myself every morning. While we built a beautiful home our efforts pale in comparison what it took Mother Nature millions of years to create. Truly paradise.

Malcolm.......maybe you remembered that I purchased a GTC toolkit from you many moons ago. And unbeknownst to you I had my eye on a "driver" 6-carb 275 that is now in your care. IMHO that is the best of the 275s...except maybe the Nart Spyders for their sexy body. But what has always made an impression is how you do what few others would even consider. I thought driving my GTC 800+ miles from FL to NC was a big deal. But for you to drive a GTB across country makes my trip seem like a stop at a 7-11. My 330 has a/c. Your 275 has a great heat sink at your feet while you cross the desert. My hats off to you!!!

10. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    What an unexpected turn of events and an ending I wasn't expecting. But it has made the story of your journey up there even better. Congratulations and thank you for sharing.

48 acres in the mountains of NC, some of the best driving roads in the country, the love of your life, an 8 car garage, fantastic weather, AND a waterfall. What more could a guy ask for?

Thecadster likes this.
  11. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Maybe another Ferrari? :D

nicholasn, Finlander and Thecadster like this.
  12. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    Hey guys. Buying a place near Sylva/Waynesville. Closing next week. Unfortunately driveway is not conducive to sports cars.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    All I can say is that I've always enjoyed my visits to Highlands.....

Thecadster likes this.
  14. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS

The down side is I dont get to drop in on him from time to time any more.

:p

15. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Dr.....I don't live on the other side of the world. Take 19 to Marshall....70 to Hot Springs and The Rattler, 209 and you end up about 10 minutes from our home. But if you choose to do that please let me know you are coming. I remember wondering who was knocking on my door the last time I saw you!!!

16. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Yea, but she was cute!