Pete Singhof testimonial thread | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Pete Singhof testimonial thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by daytona355, Sep 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Odd, a Singhof F1 section post mortum thread.

Had a few differences with him, he certainly is outspoken, has strong opinions on matters and he latched on to them like a tick.

Whatever the case a permanent ban seems excessive. Hope it somehow gets reversed, less opinions means a less colourfull place here.

2. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Roll on Singapore ,all this banning talk pro and cons,getting old fast.

ypsilon, Sharknose and DF1 like this.
  3. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    The moderation here is the only thing getting old fast.

Steve355F1, ypsilon, fil and 6 others like this.
  4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Someone didn't answer Peter's question after repeatedly asking for it so apparently the next logical step was a permanent ban.

Yep. You read that right. Peter asked a question several times, went unanswered, perma-ban.

crinoid, Jeronimo GTO, 375+ and 4 others like this.
  5. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    When passion and stubbornness overrule objectivity , it can become a very toxic environment . The F1 forum is extremely difficult to moderate in my opinion, we can cut the mods some slack.

ricksb and Surfah like this.
  6. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Please don't misrepresent what actually occurred.

For people interested in what actually occurred, read from here:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/146799811/

The backdrop to this is that multiple mods have been having PM conversations with Peter for years. The concerns he raised and demands to have the mods define trolling were not only answered on the thread, but have been answered repeatedly for years in private - he just didn't like the answer so kept asking it again and again. His expectations for the F1 forum were not reasonable, and he refused to apply tools that the mods provided to improve his F1 forum experience.

Our patience with the above is not inexhaustible and I have very little tolerance for misrepresentation of moderation actions to malign the moderators. If you're going to take it upon yourself to summarize the situation for others, make sure you are informed about the events and that what you post is accurate - gaslighting the other members is unacceptable.

P.Singhof could have had full access restored if he would have agreed with Yin to make an amicable return, but he elected instead to have his F1 access removed.

All the best,
    Andrew.

7. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Andrew, someone suggested that perhaps one of the problems in moderating the f.1 section was the fact that some of the mods aren't that interested in f.1, so, they just don't folow actively the discussions, wich makes it difficult to know where some post come from, and why. I guess it's perfectly clear that this section has a serious problem, and that it will only go away if we have another season like 2002 or 2004, because all the Ferrari fans will be happy and no one will be able to troll the Ferrari fans.
    Since this is highly improbable in the foreseable future, this poisonous ambient will endure (and i don't want to blame anyone in special, we just know it will). So, if people want to prevent bans on a weekly basis and contribute to deteriorate this space i see only 2 options.
    Ferrari fans put "group 44" on ignore and vice versa (although i believe the second group is not interested in that because they rarely discuss amongst themselves, rather prefering to engage in disputes with the first group) or, and i believe this would make a lot of sense, do you believe it would be possible to create a "ferrari f.1 section?" I know we already have exclusive Ferrari threads (and you can see that still they are infiltrated), but one thread is for a specific race, or something else, what would really work, was a sub forum where the tiffosi could create all the threads they wish to discuss. races, girls, pictures, vintage races, ferrari drivers, silly season, etc.... This would definitely separate those who wish to discuss Ferrari f.1 and the other that wish discuss Hamilton.
    I don't know what you think, or what the other mods and above all the owners think about it, but you have been in the f.1 section a lot, and know how things work around here, please give it some thought, we could even make a pool if you guys think it's worth it, i believe most will agree with me. If you guys take the time to see the contribution from both parts to this section i guess you'll agree that probably 90% of the threads and information come from true Ferrari fans, so i believe it would only be fair they have a space where they can debate Ferrari without being pestered all the time by people who only wish to adulate Hamilton.

8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

There are only two or three of us actively moderating in F1. I have been a fan of F1 since I started watching it on the "Wide World of Sports" in the 60's. I've been to Watkins Glen, sent my kid to a couple GP races, and watch almost every Sunday, only missing when the race is on at an odd time.

We moderate as little as we can, but it is important to understand this is not a subscribed section of FC, so the rules for moderation are tighter than in a subscribed section.

Perhaps, and I'm spitballing here, we could talk to Booker about adding a Ferrari Only F1 section in the subscribed forums. @Booker Wadda ya think?

D

william and TonyL like this.
  9. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Thank you for the summation of this. I stay away now from threads that simply 'glow' with conflict. They only get people bans and I do warn them as they heat up. I like the team here and look forward to posting what I know and feel, aligned to not drive conflict with anyone. What else can an F1 fan here do. Please keep up the good work Andrew and thank you again for this data................... well done!

10. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Couldn't agree more with the mods' decision.

He was about as one sided as one can be and constantly out to pick a fight.

I have long given up to respond to any of his posts, it's useless.

That said, he is a great Ferrari photographer and perfectly fine in the other forums of FChat.

vinuneuro, NeuroBeaker and william like this.
  11. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Guys, I really feel like bailing out of this part of the forum. I make contributions because I like F1, I don't like the direction its going in and there is certainly room for a lot of improvement in the racing.

Unless you have been a moderator on a forum then you don't realise just how difficult it is - I was one for many years (not Fchat) and believe me it was a highly stressful experience trying to juggle peoples opinions and controlling passionate and sometimes heated debates. People give up their valuable time to referee these places so be kind.

We should all try to respect other peoples opinion regardless if we agree or not, so what if they don't share your view!

Moreover we should [all] learn to temper our mood, its easy to get carried away and I have been guilty a few times myself. We also have to realise that for some it is their second language and to get a point over takes skill.

So lets leave the mud slinging to politicians, respect the guys who do the modding and concentrate on why we are on here, not to score points on each other but to discuss our sport - F1

For me I don't care who supports who or who worships the devil, lets focus on the real issue - will SF improve and win the WCC.......soon

Best Regards

Tony

william and kandi like this.
  12. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    If they do, all troubles will be solved :)

Nortonious likes this.
  13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    What he said.

I once was mod in this section and couldn't agree more with Tony's comments. It was stressful for me too and I wouldn't want that role back.

william likes this.
  14. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    If this forum/chat room was what it 'says on the tin" ie Ferrari Chat for Ferrari fans to discuss Ferrari and SF, there would be peace in the Vally.
    There would be spirited discussion for sure, imagine if say Elton signed for the Scuderia, but that would be fine because it would be amongst friends and family.
    SF is a sports team, in my country an Arsenal site would not encourage Tottenham fans to post , In Italy a Lazio site would not invite Roma fans to get involved.

Yet for some reason , here we encourage the opposition supporters to participate, enraging some of our guys and leading to bans.

Am I therefore against free discussion ? No, but there are neutral F1 sites/chat rooms providing that space and there I post as a fan of the sport as a whole rather than as a partizan Tifosi.

It would be nice if this was a space for us to share our joy and pain together but those in charge (whom I respect for many things and to whom I bear no ill will) inexplicably want to make this a bun fight with ineviatble casualties (including themselves).
    Are they perhaps selling seats?

Steve355F1, crinoid, dflett and 2 others like this.
  15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The F1 forum on FChat was always neutral and NOT for Ferrari fans only. Something I always liked about it. If this was for Ferrari fans only, I'd be outta here in no time. I hate love-fest forums.

bobzdar, william, DF1 and 1 other person like this.
  16. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    And so it should be

william likes this.
  17. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    #42 ylshih, Sep 18, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    Let's be clear about something, the site is called Ferrarichat and so it is for those interested in Ferrari. But the site has never been moderated with favoritism for Ferrari owners, Ferrari fans, Tifosi, or anyone else nor have we ever considered it trolling simply for someone to post in favor of non-Ferrari discussion points, even if it creates controversy. This applies whether we're talking about the Scuderia vs Mercedes, Hamilton vs Vettel now or Schumacher in retrospective, or La Ferraris vs McLaren P1s vs Porsche 918s, or 488s vs 720s. We welcome spirited discussions, even if controversial, as long as it is about a relevant subject, typically with Ferrari being on one side of the versus, and not about the users posting; this is a discussion board after all!

But NO, we do not "encourage" anyone who is against Ferrari or the Scuderia to post or not post. If they come, it's because they find the site interesting and worthwhile. As long as they post courteously, then they are welcome; if they don't then we will apply the same moderation rules against them as against a Ferrari fan or owner. If tifosi want us to apply a behavorial standard against a Hamilton fan, we ask ourselves would the tifosi want that standard applied against them, usually not. :cool: This may very well be different than other forums, where if you speak out against the favored marque or sports team, then you will get bounced. We understand that.

But what we have found is that our users, with some notable exceptions :cool:, are generally more broad-minded and eclectic than other forums, which is why the difference works for the site. A Ferrari owner has often "come up through the ranks" and had multiple Porsches or other exotics before his first Ferrari and still appreciates Porsches and other exotics. Or he's gotten his Ferrari 488 and then adds a McLaren 720s to his stable. Or has been a long time F1 fan and appreciates Ferraris storied history, but isn't too happy with their team management or performance right now and is simply willing to acknowledge superior performance.

Users who think the forum moderation has changed, simply didn't realize that it was neutral from the start because the Scuderia had a string of wins in the 2000's and tifosi didn't have as many naysayers as now. Note the users here who've commented that Ferrari winning a few would restore the F1 forum to a more satisfactory state. :rolleyes: They're directing their frustration at the wrong party. :cool:

So don't make the mistake of thinking we're being obtuse or don't understand some of the fans here who want that favoritism or tifosi echo chamber. We know very well how to moderate in favor of Ferrari owners and fans if that's what becomes a policy, simply look at the Forza Ferrari threads. Except for that new concept, you must simply accept that we moderate differently than the extremist tifosi want and that this difference comes down from the very top and from the very beginning of the forum.

Users who refuse to accept that difference, refuse to try out the Forza Ferrari thread concept, demand that the forum admin and moderators change policy to suit them, and harangue us constantly about this point are simply headed for severe moderation.

rob lay, william, tifosi12 and 4 others like this.
  18. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Also agree with the mods' decision.

He was warned by the mods (and had a particular predilection for pushing the mods' buttons) and banned from countless threads obviously not learning from his past behavior.

Newsflash: the mods run F-chat. Their forum, their rules. Either play by their rules or get out of the sandbox.

Does take great photographs though.

william and tifosi12 like this.
  19. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Let's be direct, seems to work best. As moderators here, we bend over backwards NOT to favor one member, or point of view over another. We try to encourage diverse topics and conversations.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Do we not see that?

D

20. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Going to miss Pit Bull Pete in F1. The hammer of eloquence and tenacity.

furoni and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  21. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    IMHO- Moderation policies and enforcement which cause Tifosi like Peter (aka P.Singhof) to depart the Formula 1 forum in FERRARI Chat should be reevaluated.

wrxmike, Steve355F1, moretti and 7 others like this.
  22. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

How about this:

Member actions that cause mods to react with bans should be self moderated instead. When you know the rules and you ignore them, you do so at your own peril. If you get warned both publicly and privately repeatedly and you ignore those warnings, you make a calculation about the risk..

Here's the thing. When you speed 40 over the limit, you risk getting arrested, tossed in jail, and losing your driving privileges. You see the speed limit signs, you know the rules, but you ignore them and push the limit. Some folks do it because they enjoy the thrill, accept the risk, and pay the price when caught. Some plead ignorance of the rule, profess innocence, or suggest that rule shouldn't apply to them, as their skills are superior. Same applies here. Guys who get repeated warnings and temp bans are pushing the limit. They know it, they accept the risk and seem to enjoy the thrill of trying to get away with it. When caught, some take the ban in stride and learn from it, others plead forgiveness, profess innocence or ignorance of the rules, but they know what they do is risky and yet try time and again to get away with it hoping to avoid getting caught.

To quote Tony Baretta, "Don't roll the dice if you can't pay the price."

We have a few guys like that right here in F1.

D

william likes this.
  23. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    You have your thoughts on the matter, I have mine. I don't expect to change your mind.

daytona355 likes this.
  24. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Make a compelling argument for why Peter, or anyone else, given they know the rules, have been advised repeatedly to stay within them, and still can't seem to manage it, should be allowed back so they can continue to flaunt the rules, and I'll listen.

D

bmwracer likes this.
  25. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Discussion among true Ferrari fans is unlikely to be a love fest.
    It may even be more viscous than on an open forum.
    See Machiavelli, the Vatican, the family, the Scuderia, the press and other Italian institutions.

Anyway, it is what it is (f’chat) and we are grateful for it and the hard work off those who run it.
    Myself I would never insult anybody personally, though according to William I have “big problems”.
    Though they remain unspecified and I am generally happy and easygoing, aside from Sunday afternoons when I surf the highs and lows of wanting something to happen over which I have no control.