430 - Had an accident. Advice needed. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

430 Had an accident. Advice needed.

Discussion in '360/430' started by Eric C, Sep 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I said that for 50 yrs until last May

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  2. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Until I moved to Miami I thought I could be accident free... then...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeTSI likes this.
  3. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    My point was simply this, you can attempt to “properly” maintain distance but other motorist drive like A holes. In many urban areas in America it’s simply not possible in a normal vehicle let alone any kind of exotic because people drive 10x worse for varying reasons. I once was trapped on the freeway in a Ferrari California while surrounding motorist boxes me in and were getting as close as possible to snap photos. Caused me to miss my exit and the next possible exit was several miles later in the next state. This is only one example I’ve personally experienced.

4. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    1 cars length for every 10 mph is the general rule. But try doing that driving down I95 through SC and Georgia. Id you leave 1 1/2 someone will take the opportunity to cut in front of you.

BruceC likes this.
  5. phil the brit

phil the brit Formula 3

Jul 7, 2013
    Colchester+Clermont
    Full Name:
    Phil Taylor
    Yes, happens to me all the time on freeways. It's always annoying to have to "drop back" every time it happens. I will happily drive along at 80mph (already 10mph over the limit) to keep up with the pack. There are many drivers who treat I4 like a NASCAR track who on a drive from Orlando to Tampa (say 70 miles) will beat me by probably two minutes at the end of "the race".
    So what, let them win, I've had my fun on proper race tracks.

johnk... and EastMemphis like this.
  6. phil the brit

phil the brit Formula 3

Jul 7, 2013
    Colchester+Clermont
    Full Name:
    Phil Taylor
    I've seen many a vehicle in lane three ONE cars length behind the car in front. What's even worse is that the vehicle in front is a "tall vehicle" with blacked out windows or some such, so they can't even look through the car in front for advance information.
    Lemmings I tell ya.
    And just for information most Brits are no better in the UK.

7. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I was involved in another incident this morning on my way to work. I changed lanes in my G Wagon, apparently I pissed off the lady in back of me so bad that she decided to ride my ass while blaring the horn the entire time. When she realized that I could care less, she sped up next to me to stare me down while still blaring her and ran straight into the back of another car. People are so angry these days. Blows my mind.

8. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    Karma served up a dish for her this morning. But yes, people are becoming increasingly angry and indignant without any regards for fellow humans. It's sad....

f355spider and kes7u like this.
  9. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Yeah this was the point I was making basically. So while legally it may be the op’s fault it may in reality be a simple result of poor motorists in general. And if you continue to slow down especially in large metropolitan areas you can then be cited for interrupting the flow of traffic. I have many freinds in law enforcement, and the way people drive has been the subject of numerous conversations.

In my work trucks we now have dash cams, and those dash cams have saved me and my employees on more then one occasion. One instance that sticks out is when I had some guys in a neighboring town to service an account and they seen a lady getting ready to back out of a parking spot. They stopped and the lady, without looking, tears out of the parking spot while texting and backs into the front of my company truck. Then calls 911 to report my company truck rear ended her. The footage saved my guys a lot of hassle.

It’s like others have said it sure seems like everyone is in a hurry, believes the road belongs to them and everyone else should yield to them and gets angry when you don’t. Defensive driving takes on a whole new meaning nowadays. I feel like I’m in a demo derby trying to avoid being hit some days. I’m sure glad I live in a more rural area where fewer people drive like maniacs.

10. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #60 Eric C, Sep 18, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    I received the estimate. $43,030.89. Some items were left off until they get pricing.

:(

11. The4DA

The4DA Karting

Aug 31, 2018
    GA
    Full Name:
    RC
    Damn! :(

12. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Probably $50k before they are done

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

13. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I don't get how it could be that much. My insurance guy said they are going to look if over and decide what to do. What to do?

14. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Time for a new car I think.

Robb

15. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    What do you mean?

16. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    i think he means, insurance will total it...

17. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Bobby Williams / Parts Manager
    Without delving too deep, $43k seems a tad high but by only $5-7k. If you don't mind me asking, was there structural damage or just body part damage?

18. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I'm not sure what all damage there was. I know that it was pulling to the right after the accident. It also has Scud mirrors on it that were swiped. Also, passenger door was hitting fender slightly and passenger window was scratched by the mirror that banged up against it. These were things that the bodyshop pointed out that I didn't notice. This is the bodyshop that handles all of the exotics in St.Louis, so they aren't some mom and pop outfit.

19. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    With all of that taken into consideration, it seems about right. You have some structural damage which is causing the suspension and door issues, plus Ferrari parts are anything but cheap. Can't recall Eric, is your car a 6 speed or F1?

20. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It's a F1 that just hit 37,000 miles.

21. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    seriously, with that kind of estimate and the car is already 37k miles F1, it's prob better to total it. A market price for this car is prob 70-80k. Now add accident history to it it's probably worth 50 even after it's done. The body shop is helping you out by providing a realistic estimate. I dont think u want to be stuck with this car, unless u buy it as a dedicated track/race car :(

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  22. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Is that really the going prices for our cars now? If so, that's depressing :(

23. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    I wasn't insinuating as much but I reread your initial post and didn't even consider the alignment issues. The suspension parts (if any are needed) are quite pricey as well as that carbon mirror; so I recant my previous statement. With that initial estimate you posted, that actually seems low.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, hope it all turns out positively.

24. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Considering high mileage (25k and up) Spider's are going for $100-$110k, with a clean "record", it would be quite interesting to see what someone would be willing to pay for it.

25. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Sorry if I came off snooty. That was not my intention. I've made the mistake of taking my older cars to smaller shops because of a better deal, but I always paid the price for it.