FORMULA 1 SINGAPORE AIRLINES SINGAPORE GRAND PRIX 2019: RACE ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄ | Page 15 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 SINGAPORE AIRLINES SINGAPORE GRAND PRIX 2019: RACE ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Sep 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    During the race they showed a stat on Vettel that made me think. In his whole F1 career he has only won races when he qualified in the top three. I'm wondering what the stats are for other winners during that 12 year period. Does it say something about him or about F1 as a whole?

william and kandi like this.
  2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Simple confirmation of his lack of race-craft in general.

3. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    He didn't just ask about strategy, he was crying about it being 'unfair'. Vettel didn't claim monza was unfair, he was pissed after qual but clenched his teeth - and he got screwed directly by leclerc. If leclerc is going to dish that out he needs to take it when it doesn't go his way.

dflett, Jakuzzi, classic308 and 2 others like this.
  4. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

LOL! That is really funny if not utterly sad. Simple proof that they favored Vettel to get him a win as he has been CRUSHED by Charles this year. Same as his year with Ricci. LOL> thanks for the entertaining post LOL. I needed that.

5. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Who cares. He got beat That’s good enough for me.

Forza Ferrari..... the only racing team and car marque that matters. Italia forever It’s easier to apologise than it is to ask permission

Jakuzzi, nietoale1 and tonyswfla like this.
  6. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Binotto's face after the LeClerc pit made me think they were shocked that Vettel got around him. The race was going to favor the undercut (the lap times of those who pitted were seconds faster than the leaders), though, so I'm a bit confused as to why they'd let Vettel pit first. Regardless, I don't personally think Ferrari intentionally wanted Vettel to win. I think Vettel just nailed his out lap and the tire advantage was just too much.

Vettel drove like the Vettel of old today. It comes out every once in a while and it's lovely to see. He CAN pass and he CAN race. Remember his drive in Brazil to overcome his first lap crash with a damaged Red Bull that saw him take another championship (away from Ferrari). Hopefully this restores some of his confidence and he can continue fighting. I enjoyed his interview after the race talking about how he embraced the stories and positivity people were sharing with him.

LeClerc has a reason to be frustrated but it is what it is. You can't win them all. Remember that (whether right or wrong is up for debate) he has defied orders and plans of the team this season which potentially could have hurt Vettel. He's young and he did not make any mistakes to hurt the team which shows the champion attitude in him. It sucks he wasn't able to take his third win but he did his part to ensure Ferrari came home with the first team 1-2 in Singapore's history.

Today was a good day for Ferrari no matter who was first or second. This was a track they were told they had no chance of winning and they looked unstoppable. That's some improvement!

Senna1994, LVP488, LittleTino and 5 others like this.
  7. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    I wouldn’t go that far. He’s still a kid and put yourself in his shoes. Bust your ass to get on pole, bust your ass for your first 2 victories with the 3rd in sight on a very hard to overtake track, 500 degrees out, heat of the moment I’m sure

He really wanted 3 straight victories, and was set up nicely for that. I’d have done the same only to come to grips with the reality post race

He is the future of Scuderia Ferrari and I can only hope we just continue to nurture him and support his success for the foreseeable future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

william and daytona355 like this.
  8. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I think it was more about asking him not to intervene with a flawed strategy to have LH run long so that he can have fresher tires to pass at the end. They were trying to limit the damage of a team-inflicted shotgun wound.

They pushed him from 2nd to 4th, so they were on the hook for that.

9. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    In fairness to Ham, he did ask for the undercut right before Charles came in.

LamboLover and lagunacc like this.
  10. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Fair point, but remember Vettel initiated the Monza issue when he straightlined the chicane and broke up Charles’ planned tow lap.

Charles has not been on the receiving end of any Ferrari pit strategies this season. They have only benefited Seb. Alpha drivers won’t stay around if they are treated that way.

DF1 and daytona355 like this.
  11. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    Amen.

daytona355 likes this.
  12. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Mega-kudos to Max Verstapen for holding off Lewis, which is never easy.

How glorious is it to see not only a Ferrari 1 -2, but also no Merc drivers on the podium? Superb, I say.

dflett, Thecadster, Jakuzzi and 8 others like this.
  13. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    Im sure it would of gone down well had it been the other way around.

daytona355 likes this.
  14. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
  15. V12addict

V12addict Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    Both Hamilton and Vettel got special treatments to stay ahead of the their teams #2 drivers. Had this not happened the final results could have been different for sure me thinks.

16. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    What do you mean? Vettel gave leclerc the tow in the first run of q2, leclerc didn't return the favor as they planned for the 2nd run, he hung Vettel out to dry. Vettel would have had a legitimate shot at pole if he got a tow on the 2nd as he was only 2 tenths off in the first run with no tow where the tow is worth half a second, instead leclerc made sure nobody, including his teammmate, had a chance for a 2nd run.

This was the only strategy where Hamilton wouldn't have split the ferraris, so dropping him to fourth actually helps Ferrari significantly in the championship.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  17. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    This is F1 racing?
    NO talk about actual racing. Just pit stops. Very sad.
    yeah, this is F1. :(

william and lagunacc like this.
  18. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I didn't see the stat but is that the case? Anyway, I can't immediately find the info to check but assuming it is true I think it says quite lot about him and quite a lot about F1 too. It probably also says something about Ferrari's often poor tactics and the difficulty of beating Mercedes. It is much easier to win from the back if you're in the fastest car and only towards the back because of some car issue in qualifying or whatever.

I'm too lazy (and don't have the time) to investigate all the statistics but I suspect it might be that you are more likely to win by qualifying the top three in F1 now than you were 10 or 20 or 30 years ago.

Having said that, back in the '60s Jim Clark tended to either win a race or blow up. One statistic I do recall is that he won 25 Grands Prix but never finished second.

I think that's a little unfair. He's made far too many mistakes over the last year or so but he has pulled off some fairly impressive passes as well.

19. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    This is a Ferrari forum and Ferrari have just won three races in a row. That should be cause for celebration (and certainly is for me). Who cares about pitstops or tows two weeks ago. I'm just enjoying Ferrari actually beating Mercedes while it lasts!!

20. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Yeah, but it would have been nice to maybe see Lewis at least attempt a pass on Max, fight for podium.

21. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  22. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  23. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
  24. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Did we see any passing on the track amongst the top 5 cars?

william likes this.
  25. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    Top 5 were managing tires and observing team orders.