FF or Lusso V12? | FerrariChat

FF or Lusso V12?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by dustman, Sep 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Serious thread looking for insight from owners of both or at least solid seat time.

Of course I will need to test both myself and decide. Until then, feedback welcome.

What I’ve gathered from reading and watching so far...

FF:
    + incredible value at current prices
    + exhaust note
    + sharper/a bit more hard core in steering feel

Lusso:
    + Modern interior
    + Modern tech (for a Ferrari)
    + IMO a bit better looking

What I prioritize is epic sounding exhausts. Not sure it’s worth the price going up to a Lusso at $210-225k and adding a Novitec exhaust vs $150k for FF. Not opposed to either price point or vehicle nor do I really care that the Lusso will depreciate further.

Thanks owners. - DW

2. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Well i tried a lusso new Miami and bought a FF. My wife said: I don’t see the difference between the 2.

You might lose 30/40k with ur ff, u will lose well over 100on the lusso.

The sound? Well u can get aftermarket on the lusso so I’d say really it’s a wash on both.

The entertainment, infotainment ; honestly from a drivers point of view it’s the same, co pilot wise yay it’s better but really it’s a Ferrari.

The really cool part is how they drive! So fun.

Id say go FF!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RamsHmb, dustman and ANOpax like this.
  3. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    #3 IloveGT, Sep 22, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    I have driven the Lusso for over a week or even 2 when the dealer corrected some paint issue for my 2016 FF. The exhaust is so much louder in the FF (about 45% in the morning, about 25 to 30% when warm). The scream of FF is higher pitch than the Lusso. Essentially the FF just sounds like 90% of a F12. I can confidently say that it's like if you put an cheaper aftermarket exhaust to the Lusso you can then get a FF music. To Ferrari's credit, this is by design as people who bought FF gave feedback that its exhaust were too loud, so they toned the Lusso down.

The interior design of Lusso is definitely more modern to look at, but the quality of materials are also different to FF's advantage. The padding at the dash board, door and even chairs are noticeably thinner in Lusso. The traditional Ferrari leather was already gone in the Lusso we drove at only 2K miles. My FF now is at 8K. If I forget to close the window, my whole garage smells like a Ferrari too (without the help of the 458)

If you are into the sound, you likely will regret the Lusso. I am also a audiophile when it comes to engine and exhaust. If you are planning to put in a novitec anyway, then I am not sure about the delta because the baselines are different to begin with.

I say just save yourself 100k, get the FF, and buy the M5 with the money saved or buy TSLA stock with it.

The Lusso panoroof is electrochromatic, FF is not. 2016 FF pano roof is free. You should get the pano roof for either car, I suggest. It makes the world of difference for whoever sitting in the back.

Finally look at the FF rear diffuser. It is one serious diffuser to function and look at.

AERspyder, johnr265, LeoBRK and 2 others like this.
  4. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo

5. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    IloveGt everything one of the points you just described you are spot on! I drove a brand new Lusso v12 and lusso t last month in Palm Beach and I wound up with a 2014 FF with only 2500 miles. For the money there’s no comparison.

6. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Counterpoint.

My Lusso has nearly 5000 miles and driven all over the place and no problems whatsoever with leather wear or any other wear and tear. I had an FF which had issues - all 4 wheels and tires were shipped with bends/ bad road force! And the AWD system would work too abruptly. And there was an annoying rattle from the dash. I think I simply had a bad example. I bought it new. Didn't care for the looks either. Once the wheels and tires were sorted, I found the FF too rough to be used for luxury cruising and too compromised to be used as a real Ferrari V12 sports GT (my opinion). I hated the functioning of the AWD system and I thought the car felt a bit ponderous in the handling compared to the F12. Decided it wasn't for me. However, its hard to argue with the relative value of the FF.

I was so happy when they updated the FF to the Lusso. I find it much more on point for the GT mission. Its far more handsome, and I like that the Lusso is a little more luxury oriented, it is literally in its name. The systems make it easier to integrate into modern life, the comfort part of the equation is much greater, and I think the car easily would out handle the FF around twists. I did some serious mountain driving in the Lusso this summer and I think in real world situations, I am faster around corners than in the F12. I credit the AWD and the 4WS. Great tricks that *almost* let you have your cake and eat it too. The 4WS is almost invisible to you- it just feels like a much more pointy and nimble car- except sometimes on highway sweepers that change their radius- sometimes I will notice it a little here. It really does fly under the radar- the appeal is very much what I used to enjoy in my older M cars- no one notices. I drove past a lady sitting at a bus stop today, if I were in an eye catching Ferrari, she would have looked up, no doubt at all. But I accelerated right past her, and she was glued to her phone. Sometimes I don't want attention.

Anyway, I think if you want a better value and a car that will be initially louder and also probably feel harsher, then that is the FF. But I think the Lusso presents you with greater depth- you'll just have to reach deeper into your bank account :)

johnr265 and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  7. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Much appreciated.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I think the FF is much more engaging and fun to drive. From a drivers perspective, I think Ferrari has lost the plot a bit with the Lusso.

It is very nice inside, more so than the FF, and as a soft GT it is more comfortable. I also think the Lusso sounds better. But for me, the lack of engagement and feeling of fun, is not redeemed by just sticking a V12 in there. It left me cold and dissapointed.

DGPF likes this.
  9. Natkingcolebasket69

My ff has novitec springs on it and it makes it way too harsh to be considered a true GT...like I said before I like my s63 way better than this for gt/comfort rides; heck if it’s true comfort u want get a used ghost or a Bentley gt.
    That being said for me money matters and for 140-150k u have a low mileage FF vs at least 220k for a lusso...now I don’t about u guys but 70k more for a car whose radio turn on every time u get in (can’t turn it off) ; that needs an aftermarket exhaust to sound like a Ferrari that’s a looooot. I can definitely do a lot of stuff with the 70k saved. Personal opinion of course;)

dustman and Autolove like this.
  10. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    It has occurred to me you might also want to be comparing FF to F12 as the prices of available F12 might be somewhere in between GTC4 and FF. My opinion is the F12 is way ahead of the FF in terms of being a sports car. Its really mega. Its probably 500lbs lighter and feels like its more like 800 and it is so much more engaging and fun to drive. The only slight on the F12 is the suspension setup if you have washboard type roads you will be on frequently, it can get a little bouncy. Otherwise, unless you need the 4 seat capability, I think the F12 should also be up for consideration.

Bundy, johnr265, twist-a-grip and 3 others like this.
  11. Natkingcolebasket69

Fully agreed!!

12. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Have also considered...but reviews and owner feedback is consistent in pointing out the challenge with traction, even in 3rd.
    At $235k, I think another 458 again might be more fun.

13. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I can tell you I almost never had a traction issue with my F12 (on MPSS). As a matter of fact, I often marveled at how Ferrari can make it possible to put down so much power with 2 driven wheels. There were times I could feel it shuffling power side to side with the F1-Trac + e-Diff. I would say the 458 is more fun, the F12 more serious- but- its got that heavyweight punch the 458 simply just doesn't. If you want sound, it doesn't get much better than an F12.

14. Natkingcolebasket69

Can u elaborate on more serious?

15. Maloja

Maloja Karting

Oct 19, 2016
    I fully agree with Caeruleus11 assessment!
    I do own both a GTC4 Lusso and an F12. Before the GTC4Lusso I owend an FF.
    In short, the Lusso was a big upgrade in every dimension for me. I agree the FF was somewhat louder, but you can easily get this tu ned up at the Lusso as well if you want. I never regreted the car upgrade at all but rather was very much impressed. The Lusso had all the „flaws“ of the FF improved and also just looks so much better.

In respect to the F12 and the FF, the drama and the sound of the F12 is just as good as it gets. This V12 makes you smile all the time also in respect to looks compared to the FF and many other Ferraris. It‘s an absolute beauty and a showstopper on the street.
    So yes, if two seats would be sufficient for you, I would even go directly for the F12 and not think for a second to get a 458 or so.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  16. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    But didn't you have the 458 three times already? The 458, spider, and speciale. How many times do you have to buy a 458!? Hahhaha

17. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    It’s that good.

ScottS and Caeruleus11 like this.
  18. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Sure!

I like to think of cars having different types of personalities.

For example, my 458 is very playful. It wants to rev and it wants to go go go go. This is great for a spirited back road romp, but not the best thing for a very long drive. In all fairness I modified my car with novitec springs, spacers, headers, 100 cell cats and software. The car is just so much fun! Even the shape gives you a sense you are about to go have fun! And its very difficult to make a wrong move with a 458. It generally won't bite you.

The F12 is more elegant and its personality is a little bit more reserved- at least at first. Once you start to really drive an F12, it comes alive. But the F12 can and will bite because it has so much more power and it has not quite as advantageous weight distribution and its just bigger and heavier. So- mistakes tend to have bigger consequences than with the 458. This means the F12 is a car you need to drive with more discipline than a 458. And that is why I call it more "serious".

However, this is all relative, the F12 is hardly like the Porsche Carrera GT, which is the king of the modern cars that wants to get you. That car is very tricky even in the right hands.

Bundy and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  19. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Their weight distribution isn't that far off. 42-58 vs 46-54.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  20. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Lusso will need an aftermarket exhaust. My Kline does the the job, sounds awesome, and didn’t break the bank....

21. Outrun

Outrun Karting

Interesting mix of views.

I drove both FF and Lusso several times and chose an FF. For me, I wanted it to be special when I find the time to drag it out of the garage and the Lusso was just too refined. Great daily if that's what you want to use it for. I went for a post 2014 FF which has several software tweaks from the earlier cars and it's quite noticeable when to drive an early then a later car back-to-back. The earlier car is more mechanical and you can feel the 4wd system cutting in an out as well as being more clunky from standing start etc. In the UK, you'll see a gap in value between early one and post 2014 update cars as the main dealers are now looking only to stock the later examples.

Also fitted Novitec back boxes and a Capristo X-pipe with a remote valve control so I can have it in loud silly mode in any manettino setting. Sometimes I want to be loud and a bit wild, sometimes i want to be anonymous. The FF does both well.

I have to say though that I agree previous posts that if you don't need 4 seats and 4wd, the F12 is the best "value" in the range right now. The Lusso has value to drop, the FF is a good benchmark as to where. The F12 may well hold a little better as the gap to the 812 is still considerable.

22. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK

with this exhaust the FF is one of the best sounding cars ever made imo.

23. Outrun

Outrun Karting

That's the one. This is mine.

24. Natkingcolebasket69

I have been questionning myself
    About the value of the x pipe itself ; anyt thoughts?

25. Outrun

Outrun Karting

I didn't try X-pipe only with the FF however I had a Maserati MC Stradale previously and the X-pipe alone made a world of difference, opening more pops and bangs on the downshift and overrun. You could easily try it first. I went for the Capristo because it has the remote control valve option but other do as well so there's quite a lot of choice.