250 SWB production changes | FerrariChat

250 SWB production changes

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by fskof, Sep 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fskof

fskof Karting

Nov 23, 2005
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Recently I saw a list of the changes during the 250 SWB production cycle. I can't seem to find it anywhere. I don't remember if I saw it here or in Cavallino or Forza. Has anyone else seen it?
    It listed all of the changes by year.

Thanks

2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #2 miurasv, Sep 22, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    250 GT SWB body production changes posted previously by Boudewijn Berkhoff. I do not know who the copyright belongs to.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Tenney, wbaeumer, 375+ and 1 other person like this.
  3. fskof

fskof Karting

Nov 23, 2005
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Thats It! Thank You

4. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    If memory serves me, those comparison drawings were published with the SWB feature in Cavallino 25, if not, the follow-up in 26

375+, miurasv and readplays like this.
  5. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    #5 John Vardanian, Sep 23, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  6. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #6 miurasv, Sep 23, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    The same outline for the body evolution is used in the illustrations and is clearly of a later SWB. Picture 4 does refer to the side window difference.

7. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Also the sweep/side shape of the tops of the front fenders (wings) change from early cars to later cars. The later cars are more flat - straight across as shown in all of those drawings, which do not show how they are on any of the early cars.

miurasv likes this.
  8. clive beecham

clive beecham Karting

Mar 28, 2009
    of2worlds, Tenney, NürScud and 10 others like this.
  9. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    Lest we forget: the 1960 run of cars was significantly more alloy(competition), than steel-which means hand made. NO english wheels-all hammers and bags and wood stumps and sacks filled with lead shot...NO 2 cars are "Identical"- even alloy cars finished the same week....
    the numbers lipped around in 1961,as recall...
    The type 61 specials(SEFACs), are a distinct, sub-variant, competition car, and isn't really the same car-it just LOOKS like the same car....

The EARLY cars were produced AFTER the "Interim" cars which were ALL built on TdF chassis(2600 mm)...hence the nose configuration references above...
    Paso cars are of course, 2400...the gradual evolution of lines is no doubt a byproduct of these physical realities-IMO....
    times change, designs change with them...as it clearly shows...
    excellent pictorial comparisons

Timmmmmmmmmmy and readplays like this.
  10. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    There is a picture of the two Walker cars beside one another in the pits that illustrates which is the prettier sister. It's on this forum, but I couldn't find it.

john

11. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
  12. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Wonderful thread - thanks for posting!
    I had no idea of the number of SWB variants.
    But, I was wondering about engines.
    Assuming that there were a number of them used, how many different configurations were there?
    Did they share powerplants with any other cars, like the Californias of Testa Rossas?
    Were they inside and/or outside plug configuration?
    Three carbs? Six carbs? Different cams and compression ratios?
    Just curious!

13. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Thanks BB, that's it.

john

14. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Find the old Jess Pourret book "The Ferrari Legend, 250 GT Competition", published by John Barnes. It detailed the progression from the 250 TdF to 250 GTO. There are separate sections on SWB engines, chassis and bodywork. Although the book is older and some corrections were in order, this is going to get you through the vast majority of what there is to know.

15. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Thanks for the suggestion, Jeff.
    I have the book and I'm amazed at the weath of information.
    It''ll keep me busy for quite a while!

Bob Z.

16. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    I personally can tell you it contains numerous and significant errors-based solely on the fact that:l based on THE publication date, the available, verifiable, facts... simply were not available-as easily obtained-as they are today in the :"information age". Most egregious errors of that era are in the area of the "4-liter prototypes" with the then current competition berlinetta bodies...a tome for another time....
    But with that said, it is a good starting point for a lot of generalized data....good stuff really....

...as to a previous posting inquiring about power plant variations: it is a somewhat more involved response, than as is the question, as it is posed....
    a BRIEF, chronological description, accompanied with the major technical "whys"(as to the engineering motivations based on necessity for power and longevity-advancement needed during the late 1950s) as a race car machinist- nee mechanic(just short of 50 yrs experience)-I have intimate details and failure/use/wear profiles based on this experience and exposure. I'll sleep on this or a couple of days and give a terse, but detailed, description. There are ALWAYS exceptions to generalizations-particularly in a small volume, competition oriented manufacturer...therefore, any disagreements readers might have must be kept within this focal view-IMO...
    HASTA.....

BMWairhead and Timmmmmmmmmmy like this.
  17. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Jess admitted that there was information that needed to be corrected if he ever decided to do a revised edition. I talked to him about that but he apparently never got around to it.

But, his book did detail a lot on the evolutionary changes to the 168 series engine, and other aspects of the 250 SWB. I expect that Bob Z. will have far fewer questions after pouring through the relevant pages. Of course, one should put into perspective that the SWBs used in competition after the GTO came out were likely to get upgrades (factory parts or not) to remain competitive.

Timmmmmmmmmmy likes this.
  18. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #18 miurasv, Feb 20, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    RHD Steel bodied with Competition features 250 GT SWB 1995GT was probably the first car to receive the cabin air exhaust vent placed at the rear of the roof, rather than having it in the rear perspex window of earlier and some later Comp. cars, according to DK Engineering who are restoring the car.

The alloy Competizione cars must have incorporated this later on in the production run.

All pics DK Engineering.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Cabin Air Exhaust Vent at rear of the roof.

NürScud and Marcel Massini like this.
  19. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    A worthwhile watch:

JimEakin and of2worlds like this.
  20. thepinkumbrella

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    Two of the cars featured in the above video were present yesterday at the Ferrari Owners Club of Great Britain National Meet and it was the first public showing of 2221 GT in its new blue paint Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    See also here.
    1995 GT (red), 2221 GT (blue) and 3657 GT (green).

Marcel Massini

of2worlds likes this.
  22. thepinkumbrella

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    Marcel Massini and of2worlds like this.
  23. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  24. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    Would make a nice Christmas card with cars instead of the usual tree ornaments. :D

Lusso123, of2worlds and turbo-joe like this.