Feeling poor? | FerrariChat

Feeling poor?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by kes7u, Sep 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I generally consider myself to be very well off financially. Come to this forum, though, and quickly get humbled and feel VERY poor!!!

Not jealous, just very appreciative of all of you sharing your amazing cars, stories, and fixes!

Now if only I could tolerate my job and wasn't looking to retire relatively young...... Have developed a very strong itch for a Grigio Silverstone 599......

Thanks again, all, for your contributions!

Kevin

2. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    Here's another perspective.
    You can't take it with you.
    How long will you live from now?
    I just turned 50, am relatively healthy but how long do I have?
    I just had a fellow car enthusiast die last week in her early 50's from cancer diagnosed 6 years ago out of the blue. She thought she had it beat.

I bought my 348 speciale in '12.
    I have a modest house (nicely remodeled) after my 1st divorce. I bought intelligently and its big enough for the family's needs including the new wife. (Also pre-nupped )

Last year my children were in a terrible auto accident. My eldest (17) almost died. It was my wake up call to life.

I made the choice then to still live below my means but enjoy life a bit more. So now there's an '04 911 4s cabrio in the garage. I always wanted one of those as well. They give me something to tinker with in my spare time which I also make more of and take advantage of the life /work balance my employer offers.

There are times I feel "poor" monetarily in the group of car friends I run with... but that's made up with the joy they bring me as we've become great friends. And I have the least expensive cars in the group.

I also spend more time with my girl's because it can all be gone in the blink of an eye.

Just my .01... I'd give you .02 but I need to do the oil change on the Ferarri...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Feeling Poor and Rich is and always is relative and often in one's mind (Rosebud)

That said, I wholeheartedly believe that after the 'basics' met (health, shelter, food) - one's richness or poverty (and the happiness entailed) is a state of mind.

In the end, true wealth comes from real loving relationships and having a meaning (hopefully passion) in life - and the opportunity to pursue it.

I have friends who are miserable internet millionaires, and others that are janitors/service worlers and the happiest people on earth. I consider the latter the rich men, and the former the poor ones.

In this world, I will not be arrogant and say those people live in abject poverty should "be happy in their minds." I understand there is a vast difference between extreme poverty and what constitutes as 'poor' in the first world.

4. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    What he says!!!

Just remember there is always somebody richer; and a whole lot far poorer. We are all very lucky to be running any F car.

Anyway, you want to see money; you need to go play superyachts. Monaco show is on, now there you could spend some serious money!

I'm 360 Canuck, Way2fast and paulchua like this.
  5. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Money is the most relative thing in this life: the same mount can mean/be the world to someone, and dirt to another man.

I have two mottos: don’t overreach financially, and always debate principles rather than amounts. So far has worked fine for me.

Not in a competition with another man’s wealth. I’m on a fight with myself, to be the strongest and most well off I can, without forgetting to lend a hand whenever I can to those who didn’t have the same highly privileged opportunities I had the good fortune to enjoy in life.

Be happy, keep it simple, work hard and invest wisely. Live by your own standards.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

6. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    If you have your health, your direct family is in good health and you have enough free time to experience enjoyment on a regular basis, then you are rich!

Financially speaking, if you and your children will never know a day when they are worth less than a million US$, then you are materially rich.

I do agree with the poster who commented about not being able to take it with you. Enjoy the fruits of your labor to the fullest.

I had an uncle, an aerospace machinist, who lived like a pauper and squirreled away all his earnings in cash. When he died of a heart attack chopping wood, his five children descended on his place like vultures and within a year, one was dead and the others had blown their father's entire wealth.

Boomhauer, Nospinzone and paulchua like this.
  7. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    That's sad John, but probably more the norm than not, unfortunately.

That whole mindset is a different generation though as well. We millennials are not in tune with that way of living, though I wish they were.

This site is awesome for the simple fact their are guys here in love with their Duetto and drive the balls off it, and have a few bucks in the bank, and there are guys here with $10MM+ Ferrari's and etc., who also drive them hard (or stare at them), and if names/cars weren't known, you'd never know who's who...

8. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I feel the same way, there are times when coming to this site is depressing. Took me 9 years to save to buy a 15 year old exotic.....and I'm in year 6 saving for the next 15 year old exotic.

And a dream car like a Porsche CGT? Not in 10 lifetimes.

Still have to keep asking for overtime work (just exceeded 300 hours this year) and moving forward.

I'm 360 Canuck, paulchua and kes7u like this.
  9. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Funny little story.

A couple years ago I was in my bank. I live in a fairly well-to-do town. An older gentlemen was a little slow and apologized for taking too long, saying he was old. I told him no problem, we're all getting old.

He said he was getting money to take for his trip to Florida. He said, "Up here I'm considered old and wealthy, down there I'm neither"! :D

10. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I used to compare my insides to the next guys outsides, its never a good feeling when it comes to comparison , its the thief of joy . since I have been sober and in "the program" I have learned how to be and stay grateful, and thats by helping others wherever, whenever, and how ever I can. I see lots of new super cars all over where I live, so yes my mouth waters over them !! The difference is that today , I know that no matter what, material possessions will never make me happy. I am grateful for the 20 years and counting that I have been able to own, drive, and maintain a Ferrari, and a fine stable of motorcycles . I have a successful small business that I have been blessed with , I am excited about life .

Thank you

paulchua, LARRYH, Nuvolari and 3 others like this.
  11. 4_Eff_Sake

4_Eff_Sake Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Wikdstrate, Statler, IloveGT and 14 others like this.
  12. VPX

VPX Karting

Jun 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Victor
    As a young professional still living from a 5 digit yearly salary, I could feel poor as well. But I tend to not think about it: everyone knows what took them to be where they are, and 100% of the time we do not know the whole history.

I think more in appreciation for the cars, which is a common interest here, but also about the appreciation of the characters, which is not money-related. A comparison is useless. I know it isn't the OP intent (to compare), but time is your best ally. Want a 599? Plan for it. 3, 5, or 10 years will pass either you have a plan or not. I have a 10-year plan for an F430 or 360. Too long? Maybe. But time will not get faster or slower to match my needs.

13. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I didn't used to feel poor.

Then I bought a Ferrari :D

14. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Just approved for 10 hours of OT this week....another 0.2% towards the goal.....ugh sounds even worse in percentages.

paulchua and kes7u like this.
  15. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Funny you mention that. That is something my dad always stressed to me when growing up. With regard to any goal. Whatever length of time needed to achieve that goal, the time will have passed regardless, and you will have either attempted and achieved your goal, or not even tried.

Several years back, I had plans to have a few different Ferraris. Came to realize, though, that life is way too short. I'd rather be spending my time sleeping in with my wife and pursuing multiple interests rather than having the alarm wake me at 5:30 everyday and slogging the day away inside an office. Not willing to trade my time for money too much longer.....

Kevin

16. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    u should be thankful

for the most part.. these are the peeps that allow you to buy something at 50% of msrp 3 years later

17. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I’ve wanted to own either a Ferrari or Lamborghini since I was a young boy. I’m coming up on my mid forties and while I still want one, my focus has shifted to spending significant amounts of time with my young daughter and on being able to retire when I’m fifty. I previously planned on working much longer but I’d rather forego an exotic and have the option to retire in the not too distant future and be able to spend more time with my family.

If things go well, I may still buy a Ferrari or Lamborghini as I come up on fifty but only if it doesn’t affect my ability to retire if I want to. The material possessions that would have made me happy in my younger years just aren’t as important to me now.

I'm 360 Canuck, paulchua, VPX and 2 others like this.
  18. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith

You are smart, you will be just fine!

paulchua and Scott98 like this.
  19. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    As a Father of 2 teenagers I am greatly saddened to hear of your ordeal, my heart goes out to you. I hope there was a full recovery, though you'll never get rid of that feeling.

paulchua, VPX and dahveedem like this.
  20. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Absolutely!!! Funny how this happens around the mid 40s.....

Kevin

I'm 360 Canuck, paulchua and Scott98 like this.
  21. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Tomorrow is not promised to anyone. Although young-ish, I've been to too many funerals of good friends who went way too early, including those who never fulfilled their hankering to drive a dream car. If your financials are in order, buy that GS 599. If they're not, do what it takes to get there. My wife and I grew up poor, and so we had a saver mentality all our lives. About 5 years, we said f*** that, after our good friend had a heart attack and died at only 60 or so. Good luck!
    T

kes7u and dahveedem like this.
  22. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    QTR: Quality Time Remaining

Boomhauer and dahveedem like this.
  23. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Amen to that brother. No bank accounts in the coffin. Don't forget to live for today while saving for tomorrow.

24. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    #24 Ingenere, Sep 26, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    I have been part of Fchat since almost the beginning back in 2001. Back then it was all about owners trading stories, hints and help with their cars.

I came from zero. Abandoned as a kid. Lived in a car and made some executive decisions on the way I wanted life to go. There have been ups and downs, but most of the time (fortunately), I have come out on top. But I have never come on here and felt jealousy, or felt rich or poor compared to anyone else. That would also go for anyone else I have met in life. I've met Ferrari people that try to throw their 'snob appeal' at me and brag about all the BS they have. I could care what some loser that feels the need to brag about what he's got (probably because his self image is 2" high).

I have also met down to earth guys that are just car enthusiasts like me that happened to be able to drive Ferraris instead of Fiats (and be comfortable in either one), and nobody cares about who has the biggest bank balance. It's obvious that in order to get to the place in life where you are driving Ferraris and not Fiats, you have worked hard (unless there is a trust fund involved), and made a few good decisions. At the end of the day, the car hobby is about getting away from worrying about the daily BS and who has what and how much and just enjoy a bit of escape from the daily garbage to have a bit of fun with what we enjoy.

25. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Good for you. And congrats on your achievements!

paulchua likes this.