Battery for '90 TR | FerrariChat

Battery for '90 TR

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by 1RedHead, Sep 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1RedHead

1RedHead Rookie

Sep 2, 2019
    Mexico City / NC USA
    Full Name:
    Chris M
    I am not having much luck finding any information on replacement battery for my '90 TR. Any of the normal battery manufacture websites don't have any listings. None of the normal auto parts stores in the States also show anything available. Unfortunately I am 10k miles away from the car and can't even see what is currently in it. I just know that it is several years old and would not start after been sitting for a couple of weeks. Any guidance on what fits would be greatly appreciated.

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
  3. 1RedHead

1RedHead Rookie

Sep 2, 2019
    Mexico City / NC USA
    Full Name:
    Chris M
    Thanks. I found reference to the 34R when I searched the threads but even the Bosch website shows this battery as "not compatible". You would think that if anyone could get it right, it would have been them. Looks like the local Advance Auto has an Optima Group 34R Red Top that I will have my son pick up and install for me.

4. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Skip the Optima and just get the Interstate if you can. I have had zero luck with Optima Reds for the last few swaps. YMMV

5. 4heid

4heid Karting

Jul 31, 2019
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Just bought the Interstate replacement at Advanced Auto Parts a week ago. Standard battery, in stock always.

6. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    The TR takes a standard lead acid battery. Just make sure the top terminals are correct. Pos. to front and close to headlight, and toward center of tire well .

BOKE likes this.
  7. Jeff Pintler

Jeff Pintler Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2005
    Richland
    Full Name:
    Jeff Pintler
    I have started using Walmat 34R agm batteries. They have the tabs on the bottom to fit into the hold/tie downs. Only $150 and the AGM is more resistant to abuse. And run away from Optima as they will always let you down. Also get one of the battery monitors that talk to your cell phone, very handy.

Jeff Pintler
    89 348tb, 86tr, 99 360 3pedal, 05 S-160 bobcat

BOKE likes this.