Feeling poor? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Feeling poor?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by kes7u, Sep 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Thanks, but there's nothing special going on, aside from an enjoyment of life.

Boomhauer, paulchua and VPX like this.
  2. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I really like this thread. It has tremendous potential. I will add a couple thoughts that are loosely relevant:

1). No one ever knows the story behind the glory. I wish I had a dollar for every time an employee said this to me: “...if I had your job, I would work just as hard as you do”.

2). People always underestimate just how dynamic America is. Most people greatly discount how much work it takes. I never expected to have what I have. I never expected to do what I have done. Professional lives are fluid. It wasn’t that long ago that I was a janitor cleaning out toilets with a toothbrush, and 30 years later I own three businesses with 600+ employees. (Please note, relative to most successful people on Fchat, my little slice is modest, and like most, it represents the culmination of a life’s work).

I too love Fchat. It’s super inspirational. I learn something every day. I admire the people on here greatly. And the diversity is simply remarkable. Where else do guys with $30M car collections hang out with guys looking to buy their first new car...?

3. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Met a guy on a rally. I consider him a friend now. He has 35 Ferraris. He had a stroke. Now he can just sit in the car while his lovely wife drives.

Live in the present moment. Every moment is a gift. Every moment is precious. Carpe diem.

4. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    It is indeed all relative. I walked out of a local supermarket yesterday and I had noted on my way in two homeless gents outside. How good it felt to bring them each a sandwich pack. There's usually somebody much worse off than you as there will nearly always be somebody wealthier.

Just to reiterate what has been said about not being able to take any of it with you. Whatever you do and whatever you like enjoy it to the best you can in this life.

Time

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
    Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way.
    Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
    Waiting for someone or something to show you the way.

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain.
    You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today.
    And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.

So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
    Racing around to come up behind you again.
    The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
    Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

Every year is getting shorter never seem to find the time.
    Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
    Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
    The time is gone, the song is over,
    Thought I'd something more to say.

Home
    Home again....

Songwriters: David Jon Gilmour / Nicholas Berkeley Mason / George Roger Waters / Richard William Wright

I never knew Roger was actually a George!

5. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I grew up solid middle class - my dad was a USAF pilot - until my grandfather died and left mom 1/4 of his agribusiness (There were four daughters). That put us into the upper middle class bracket, but not too much changed. Mom and dad's cars were a little nicer, but nothing ostentatious, and we still lived in solid middle class neighborhoods. I was, however, able to pursue my musical dreams, and I took full advantage of that. I was always appreciative of the opportunity. :)

Mom ended up being a shrewd businesswoman, and she diversified and grew that business into a monster. My favorite anecdote about my parent's marriage is that mom was dad's secret weapon. He let her buy all the cars, because she was a tough negotiator who could drive a hard bargain - all 5'1" of her - while dad was a happy-go-lucky flyboy who knew bugger all about negotiating. :D I wish I had a woman like that!

So when all that came to me - only child, so I was able to retire at 54 - I stayed in my little house in the suburbs where I was most comfortable, but I climate controlled the garage and put two Ferraris and a BMW motorcycle in it. So I don't feel jet-set rich, because I'm not, but on any given day I could easily say to heck with it and book first class passage to any point on the planet, but maybe only every third year or so. I also don't take nearly as much out of my trust as I could, because I still want it to grow. I love living comfortably below my means, and if something comes along that I REALLY want, I can get the money from the trust for it. I limit myself to once every four or five years on that. Last thing I got was the money to pay cash for my 360 sunroof/stick.

I feel rich on many levels, not just monetarily, and my little suburban garage is pretty sweet. ;)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I'm definitely up with the live life now philosophy, as my dad died when he was the age I am now.

italiafan, MWHC4S, absostone and 8 others like this.
  6. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    It is an interesting question, though, isn't it? Doesn't there need to be a balance between living for the present and planning for the future?

For instance, to maximize my current happiness, I would never, ever step foot in one of my offices ever again. Never. I have such specialized training that I have no other abilities to earn a decent living. My job fortunately and unfortunately pays me very well. While it makes me miserable, I have come to the acceptance that 2 more difficult years is a satisfactory trade for living the remainder of my (hopefully long!) life exactly as I see fit. If I die in the next 5 years, then it was probably a horrible trade, and I should a have quit immediately. But in doing so, I would not be able to live the life I would like, should it indeed last for a longer period.

Isn't there some level of delayed gratification that would be considered acceptable?

Kevin

I'm 360 Canuck and tomc like this.
  7. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    THIS.
    Malcolm

8. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    What a great post, George. Makes me respect you all the more.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

G. Pepper likes this.
  9. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Agreed with the poster! I feel at times poor when I come in here but then again I decided to learn from
    Those more successful and focus on happiness;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kes7u likes this.
  10. 4_Eff_Sake

4_Eff_Sake Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    At times I have been broke, but I’ve never been poor.

Broke is a temporary state of finances. Poor is a state of mind.

andyrichter, kes7u and EastMemphis like this.
  11. Natkingcolebasket69

Then i feel broke lol

IloveGT, kes7u and dahveedem like this.
  12. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    The older you get material things don't mean as much. If I had just one of these vehicles and junk when I was young, I would of felt like a king. Buy when you can and don't wait forever, because forever never comes!

13. Natkingcolebasket69

Amen

14. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    This is a great thread. Class and Character are shown with how you react to adversity and what you do to overcome it. True wealth is how you view yourself from where you’ve come to where you are and where you want to be.

You know what says class and shows character to me, gentlemen? It’s a thread like this. Well done!! We’re all “rich” in our own way. Some just have kicker-ass cars than others!:cool:;):D

Cheers
    Dave

15. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    IMO, once your financial obligations to your partner, children, retirement funds, etc. are met, why not invest in your own enjoyment sooner than later?

I'd ask the question this way, if you buy that dream GS 599 GTB & - heaven forbid - next week it's totaled, would the $200 K or whatever you lost materially change your life?
    If the answer is no, pull the trigger.

T

paulchua, LVP488, Way2fast and 3 others like this.
  16. flifer

flifer Karting

Mar 3, 2016
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I love how this thread is going... If you look at all the other threads where people ask if they can afford to buy a certain car you see everyone chiming in with their noses high in the air with super conservative comments like:

"I'd never buy a car that was more than 2% of my net worth, heck my house isn't even 5% of my net worth- you need to get your priorities straight"

LVP488, kes7u and G. Pepper like this.
  17. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    #42 BMW.SauberF1Team, Sep 28, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    We have the same occupation (although not sure of your specialty) so I know how you feel about about being almost pigeon-holed into a career that pays well but also at the same time is very rigid lifestyle-wise with not many options to leave the field.

I don't think buying anything material will make me happier in that regard even though I love cars as my job would not allow a lot of time to enjoy it as much as I'd want. I've heard of the part-time MDs loving the flexibility it provides. You get the days/hours you want to work and when you show up people are happy you're there to help out whereas if you're an FTE and not there people get upset with how much more work there is. That may be something I have to do at some point as the money to time tradeoff right now is really not worth it to me. I enjoy my job, but when it cuts into most of my awake time it is not as fun.

I used to joke money is the most abundant resource in the universe (more than Hydrogen) as it can be made out of thin air and endless...now I think it's 100% true and don't value it nearly as much as I used to. Time and work-life balance is way more important than any dollar amount

MWHC4S and kes7u like this.
  18. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

^^^^^^^^
    This. I’ve never seen a Brinks truck behind a hearse. Best, Kirk

Way2fast and G. Pepper like this.
  19. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    To the OP: don’t sweat it over money. It is important, not going to lie to you, but there are things I value so much more, like: being a man of your word, being fateful and loyal, and putting your money were your mouth is. If you are all three and work hard, money will come almost as a consequence. You’ll figure it out.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

paulchua, kes7u and G. Pepper like this.
  20. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thank you. This is fantastic. I feel I'm set with those, as I value my integrity above almost all else.

Kevin

21. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin

GREAT posts.

Interestingly, I've actually just started looking into the possibility of a move to part time. I realize I haven't always been this miserable. And much of this has nothing to do with the work itself. As you mentioned, I feel that my work/life balance is just completely out of whack. (Yet I don't work NEARLY as much as many others, I am sure!) I didn't always feel this way, but it has certainly gotten substantially worse more recently. It may take a while to swing this, but I think it could work. Although the income will still be fine, it is so hard mentally to walk away from the current level, particularly given the time and sacrifices already made. But something's got to give!

Tom, no nothing would change in your scenario. To be honest, more than anything. we've been hoarding every penny away with the thought that a day might come where I literally stand up and walk away, never turning around again!!!! I'm going to keep looking at and pricing 599s as my plan evolves. I would not be shocked to see one filling my all too crowded garage in the near future. Not in THAT much of a hurry, as our 5 months of winter are nearly upon us....:(.

Kevin

Wikdstrate and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  22. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Fantastic posts here all around. I really never anticipated such an interesting response!

My original post was VERY much tongue in cheek. My wife and I feel fairly wealthy where we live. We have just always laughed at ourselves and how we feel like such pikers when we have opportunity to visit some of these extravagantly wealthy places around the world. Similar to how it makes me chuckle to see the vast collections of Ferraris some have accumulated!

So my post was more of a way to laugh at myself, but also an opportunity to thank everyone along the spectrum for their contributions and entertainment!!

Kevin

23. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I enjoyed cars immensely my entire life, used to think ordering a new custom Ferrari would make me happier but it took that event to make me realize that I was already happy, my marriage makes me happy, still enjoy cars( although leaning to more vintage stuff nowadays).
    Material things, new exotic or boat or plane are nice to enjoy but will never make you fully content, for that I have my wife.

G. Pepper and kes7u like this.
  24. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    I see people die and live everyday in the hospital, and I am very jaded about the unexpectedness in life.
    I think the safest thing is simply to find and love someone who also loves you, and then hope he or she dies one day before you die.
    In that case, you will be the richest man.

paulchua, absent, Way2fast and 2 others like this.
  25. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I retired last year at 64 yrs old. After having several friends die and others with health problems, I just try to enjoy life. I drive my cars and motorcycles and travel as much as possible. I figure eventually I will have health problems that will prevent me from this. It could be one year or 30 years. I am spending my kid's inheritance, but they will have cool stories about their parents.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

paulchua, MalcQV, Solid State and 6 others like this.