355 - 355 B and GTS Stick getting really hard to find | Page 9 | FerrariChat

355 355 B and GTS Stick getting really hard to find

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, Aug 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I think the main frustration by buyers and obviously owners in the know, is that the current market does not support a car with 20k + in needs for an asking price at 100k.

That’s just not realistic currently. It wasn’t realistic at the bubble top a few years ago either.

How about a 60-70k car with 10 to 20k+ in needs. That I get. And there aren’t any of those on the market now next to the very few that are for sale. Well there was ONE like that, and my friend in AZ bought it....

Robb

Wsmatau, MAD828 and blkdiablo33 like this.
  2. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  3. Suffyk

Suffyk Formula Junior

May 25, 2012
    Talk about a price drop.. I called a few weeks ago and they wanted 95k

4. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Then someone should act and buy it, assp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    If I wanted a gated GTB or GTS with no stories, documented maintenance (up to date), low miles, etc., great car, I would post in the "Wanted" section. And I think some owners would contact me and be willing to sell at $90- $100K and some would not until much more than that....because what are you going to replace it with?

carnutdallas likes this.
  6. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Most of them do. I didn’t study the photos that hard, but it doesn’t look like the basket case described here.

7. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    not stating a basket case,but at 99k plus surprises its overpriced

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  8. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
  9. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    RUN AWAY,RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY. :)

I always wonder about such things. The car was reported to be in a accident with the 1st owner at 14k miles in 2001. He kept it for another 5 years, 4k miles before selling it. Then and other 16k miles put on the car. Wonder just what was damaged. Personally, I've never been afraid of accident cars if I can verify what was damaged.

10. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    I think the majority of 355 buyers ( and Ferrari buyers in general) want to buy in a "turn-key" deal and not have unknown costs or surprises. Certainly most don't have the ability as johnK... to do nearly all the required work.

audi_328 and blkdiablo33 like this.
  11. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    The main thing is most buyers who buy a 50-80k car don't want to throw another 10-20k into it immediately knowing another 7k will be required in the next 5 years. Unfortunately it's just the sad reality of engine outs. If I'm to get another 355, I'm definitely waiting 7 years between timing belts after I have the first one done. I also deduct if valve guides, headers and/or cats have not been replaced since those are some of the most expensive things that require fixing on these cars.

audi_328 and blkdiablo33 like this.
  12. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    i agree if paying top dollar i expect not to put alot of money into when receiving it.i found a few 95s b both with full eng rebuilds does not make me feel good about full eng rebuilds .

13. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I have decided to buy ultra low mileage cars with great pedigree. Currently have the 8500 mile GTB. Also own a 966 mile 2004 Z06 Corvette Commemorative and a 6800 mile 1996 Corvette Grand Sport Convertible (1 of 190). The problem with low mile cars, sorted and great collectibility is a narrow market and really hard to drive and enjoy, unless you just do it. I have decided to just drive them and enjoy. The GS is really cheap fun.

The GTB has to really pop up and support its value eventually. Cannot be duplicated for my investment and ask, none of them can. Just have to find people who think the same way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    There you go- Rob is the gateway to the Holy Grail- though he may need to refer you! ;)

carnutdallas likes this.
  15. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    made an offer on a 95 b with 34k miles and said was too low did not even counter i would of gone up on my offer but with no counter thats the end of that one

16. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    I had a 02 Z06 I bought brand new, I put more miles on mine in the first weekend I had it than yours has now.

carnutdallas likes this.
  17. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I'm sure there are many owners here who's ability surpasses mine. Perhaps not ability, but certainly desire. I wouldn't hesitate to do an engine out on my own. I considered buying a lift just so I could. But I lack the motivation. If I can't do the job in a day or two I'll write a check.

On the other hand I guess not many would tackle something like this:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

audi_328 and carnutdallas like this.
  18. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Low mileage doesn't ensure anything. I walked away from 6k mile and a 13k mile cars when I was looking because of the excessive needs of both. Ended up paying less for my need nothing 19k car. In fact, the 6k car is for sale again with a little over 8k and it's a mess now. Hell, it needed tires when I looked at it and 7 years later it still has the same tires on it.

ShineKen likes this.
  19. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Agreed, maintenance is key!
    John, your paint looks great, you must have taken a Corsa in Rossa ! :D

20. RRRREDRVR

RRRREDRVR Karting

Jul 28, 2004
    Aptos CA
    Full Name:
    M Kitchen
    Its Rosso Barchetta, a very nice color on a F355. Low miles, recent major service. Looks like all it needs is $3K worth of De-sticky, and possibly tires replaced (old). There were ONLY 45 F355GTSs imported to the US in '95 (according to F355 Registry). Fewer than that left. Very rare, very drivable, 3 pedal Ferrari.

21. RRRREDRVR

RRRREDRVR Karting

Jul 28, 2004
    Aptos CA
    Full Name:
    M Kitchen
    Personally, I think the '95 is the preferred one to have. Rarest. OBD1 instead of OBDII (easier to smog, easier to repair - does not require the Ferrari computer for ANY procedure I'm aware of). Breathes a bit better than '96 and up as it has twin intakes with individual MAF sensors, where the OBD II ones have a single MAF with the intake air siamese into the MAF. And that MAF while larger, is NOT twice as large. Is a six speed manual, NO $16K F1 box to replace. I'm sure most of you know all this, but the major issues to watch out for are valve guides (my '95 still has its originals at 52K miles and is just fine, thank you), exhaust headers (mine are replaced), cooling fans (an easy fix), a recall on fuel line routing (mine still original, but carefully monitor fuel lines for issues...problem occurs when hose clamps replaced interfere).

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  22. RRRREDRVR

RRRREDRVR Karting

Jul 28, 2004
    Aptos CA
    Full Name:
    M Kitchen
    And, of course, STICKY! But pretty much ALL Ferrari's from '95 on have that annoying problem that Ferrari just ignores for whatever reason.

23. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Is one of them the Rosso Barchetta? If so, I remember seeing that car when I was looking years ago. The previous owner had driven it hard. I think the engine might have been taken apart twice for some reason but I don't recall since it's been so many years. I can look it up though if you get serious about it. I'm a bit hesitant about an engine rebuild but I guess if done by a top mechanic it should be fine.

24. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    im with u hesitant also buying one like that