F430 f1 shifting woes | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F430 f1 shifting woes

Discussion in '360/430' started by aslowdodge, Sep 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Depends who you ask? Which would make you question whether or not to spend they money on an electronic relay. BUT if you already have one, why not eliminate any risk whatsoever, disable the beeps, and leave it in place.

Not accusing at all, I'm just really curious why you wouldn't leave it in place.

Kevin

2. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    The beeps could not be disabled according to Scud Ing. Plus I haven’t heard of a failing relay on a post 2006 F430. It’s really more of an issue on the 360.

3. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Agree. I did not realize that the beeping was undefeatable. In that case, I would probably have tossed it out a moving window.....

Kevin

Zed82 likes this.
  4. firewire

firewire Rookie

Feb 23, 2008
    Have you checked the potentiometer? Same happened with mine. Delayed gear engagement.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

aslowdodge likes this.
  5. aslowdodge

aslowdodge Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Marietta, Georgia
    What is that?

6. aslowdodge

aslowdodge Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Marietta, Georgia
    That would be pretty annoying. What was different on the 360 from the 430 that made relays an issue?

7. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Don’t remember exactly but it has something to do with the size of the relay.

8. aslowdodge

aslowdodge Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Marietta, Georgia
    was it something like a 30 amp relay being pushed to it's limits so people went to a 50 amp+ one?

9. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    There is a lot of info on the forum about the issue. I suggest you do a search.

10. Fenz

Fenz Karting

Nov 8, 2018
    Team Europe
    I hope no one thinks that all of these relays beeps continuously.. They don't.
    I have had the advanced version of the Scud relay installed for almost two years. No problem, it works great. Beeps only once at start-up, no beeps while driving.
    Have friends with Lambos and Astons who also have these relays, they are also happy. If I remember correctly, Zed82 had an early version of the relay, which beeps more often than the later version. To get rid of the many annoying beeps you could send in the relay for reprogramming / exchange, but it's probably not free of charge.
    Alternatively, just unplug the display and use the relay standalone.
    As I work with electronics, I personally rely a lot more on a solid state relay than a regular electromechanical.
    But that's me..

kes7u and BruceC like this.
  11. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    The replacement ediff valve arrived from Eurospares today - trying to squeeze that in along with a new accumulator before our mechanic leaves to support the Challenge Series at the Finali in Italy in later this month. Stay tuned.

aslowdodge likes this.
  12. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Agree fully. That is what I was getting at as well. If there is any way possible to eliminate the beeps, always go with solid state!

Kevin

Fenz likes this.
  13. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    To unplug the display could also be an option of course. I’m more disappointed in the false errors that cost me a lot of money to diagnose for nothing.

kes7u likes this.
  14. aslowdodge

aslowdodge Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Marietta, Georgia
    Dying to see what you come up with Bruce. How much was the ediff valve?

15. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    Don't have the detailed invoice yet, but the valve & accumulator were ~ $500.

16. Drflint

Drflint Rookie

Aug 17, 2016
    florida and indiana
    Full Name:
    doug flint
    My problem with the yellow warning lites was dx as e-diff solenoid valve at Naples Motorsport.Once replaced no further warning lites but infrequent shift failure does occur.

aslowdodge likes this.
  17. aslowdodge

aslowdodge Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Marietta, Georgia
    Was that the same valve pictured. Earlier in the thread?
    How often are your missed shifts? Stuck in gear or popping into neutral?

18. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    Yes, that's the valve that our mechanic ordered. Hopefully going in next week.

I personally am of the opinion that the relay module was accurately reporting the pump was running too long on occasion well before I started experiencing shifting issues, but as I stated before, the F1 trans was operating without issue, so I just ignored the beeps. The first shifting faults showed up the first weekend of May en route to a car show ~ 2 hours away. Sitting at a light in neutral, the trans refused to go into gear for 3 or 4 seconds. Happened again on the way home and then not again for 4 or 5 weeks. Gradually the frequency picked up - initially always from neutral to first gear, but now it is happening in several gears & both upshifts and downshifts.

If we interpreted the ediff valve leak rate correctly, I can see where the F1 would not respond until sufficient hydraulic pressure was available and my thinking is typically "leaks" get progressively worse over time, so fingers crossed we're on the right track. Craig Waterman (website consultant) tipped us off to look at the leak rate based on the symptoms I described.

Our indie mechanic mentioned the range of diagnostics available on the Leonardo analyzer for the ediff is staggering, so I can imagine it's not easy to know where to look when analyzing F1 trans issues. No disrespect for Zed82's service techs, but I could easily imagine the relay module reporting a legitimate error and even a qualified mechanic not zeroing in on the issue.

Fenz and aslowdodge like this.
  19. aslowdodge

aslowdodge Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Marietta, Georgia
    I’ll check every day to hear your result. I just dropped my car off to the shop and I wrote notes on what I read here and other threads. Hopefully my guy checks the bleed valves and e diff valve you got before shipping the whole system off to be tested and rebuilt.

20. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Well, three different service techs said the same in my case. One also contacted the original head engineer for the F1-system on the F430 in Italy to get help and they could not find anything. All the values were correct. But my gearbox worked flawlessly and does so to this day. In your case since you have some issues, the relay will probably display an error.

21. evilruss

evilruss Karting

Jan 27, 2015
    Rockford
    I've also been facing a fail to shift scenario on my 430. About 5 or 6 times now that I've taken the car out for a drive, each time I had a moment where my F1 light would come on briefly for 2-4 seconds and I would be unable to shift up or down. Was a little unnerving to be stuck and gear and unable to shift, but it always recovered, until the last time I took the car out. I came to a stop sign and shifted to neutral, which is where it stayed for the next 45 minutes. The last time however I don't believe I saw the F1 warning light come on. Every time it happened was after at least 15-20 minutes of driving time, and warmer days being 75-80+ temps out. After 45 minutes it eventually was able to shift again, at which point I drove it straight home keeping my number of shifts to a minimum without any further issue.

Luckily or unluckily having the car stuck unable to shift for 45 minutes I was able to hookup my xdiag software to check a few things during that time. Mainly making sure the brake switch was indicating it was changing state when I pushed the pedal, and also when the F1 pump was cycling I could see the pressure going up to like 48+ bar or higher and then the pump would turn back off. I cycled the car off and on several times. Something I was able to hear though, was every time I was trying to either pull the up paddle, or press the reverse button, I could hear the actuator attempting to change gears. So I'm not sure if attempts were likely unsuccessful, or if the gear changes might have actually been occurring but possibly one of the potentiometers on the actuator are starting to fail when they get hot enough.

I have a spare low mileage actuator, power unit, hoses, and pump assembly, so my plan was to first start with the actuator and potentiometers. I'd prefer not to just swap everything at once as I'd like to know what component is actually causing the issue. All the spare parts have approximately 10k miles except the pump which only has a few hundred. My 430 is currently at 40k miles.

Russ

BruceC likes this.
  22. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    Quick update - ediff valve was installed last night. If you recall from an earlier post, the leak rate for my ediff valve was 75 cc/min. The new valve is showing a leak rate of 50 cc/min after a little run-in (on install was ~ 80 cc/min, but dropped to 50 cc/min after our mech. made 2 short drives). I suspect it may drop further with more "run-in," but the magic number where issues start to occur according to http://craig-waterman.com/ was 60 cc/min, so I'm hopeful we've addressed the shifting issue.

Obviously I can't declare success until I get some more miles behind me, the Leonardo data is encouraging. Also replaced the accumulator only as a matter of preventive maintenance not expecting it was a contributing factor at all. I can't actually pick the 430 up until Friday (when I get the windshield replaced - a whole different saga) - I'll do my best to follow up - good or bad, when I get more driving time on the new valve.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

aslowdodge and MCASEY like this.
  23. aslowdodge

aslowdodge Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Marietta, Georgia
    Thanks for the update. I already did the accumulator and a new pump. I left my car at the shop and suggested some things such as leaking bleed screw. They told me the car is fixed as 2 screws were loose and one more was quite loose. I will get the car back in a few days and I too want to get some miles before I consider it resolved.

24. aslowdodge

aslowdodge Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Marietta, Georgia
    Just an update.i don’t want to jinx it, but I picked up my car yesterday and so far so good it appears that tightening the bleeder screws did the trick. Hard to say for sure, but for the first time no missed shifts. Weather is getting worse so I’m not sure if I will get another opportunity to road test the car. I think that replacing the pump and accumulator were unnecessary, but it’s done now so I shouldn’t have to worry about those for awhile.

BruceC likes this.
  25. aslowdodge

aslowdodge Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Marietta, Georgia
    Bruce, what’s the status on your car?