458 - What to pay for 2015 458 | FerrariChat

458 What to pay for 2015 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by slvr993, Oct 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. slvr993

slvr993 Rookie

Aug 16, 2013
    West Chester PA
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Hey Guys - After owning 14 Porsches over the last 20 years it's time to give a modern Ferrari a try. I've decided the 458 Italia is where I'll start. I like the idea of the spider but I can't, not have the glass engine cover. Anyway - I'm looking at one on the West Coast, a 2015 with under 10,000 miles and a 2 year factory extended warranty. It's a basic build. CF steering wheel, Lights, front end lift are the biggies.(No Carbon trim) Gray with Black Interior. 3 Owner car, all records, excellent shape. Whats the rough range for a car like this. Asking is $200K.

Thanks in advance

2. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    I don't live in the US so don't know if that is a good price or not, but just wanted to comment that it sounds very expensive compared to Swedish prices which would probably be 150k usd for the Italia in that spec. 200k is what you would pay for the spider.

And Btw, you must buy the spider!! Forget the engine you won't look at it. There is no reason why you should not go with the spider, unless there is a money constraint. If not, Spider is so much more worth it. Pull down the back window when roof is not down, and the engine will be screaming right behind you

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

jem890 likes this.
  3. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    A friend traded in a 458 Spider, nice car well optioned with 8k on the clock but didn't have a CF led steering wheel nor the lift package, for a Pista - he got $150k from the dealer as trade. Another dealer offered him $160k but didn't have a Pista.
    So I an thinking perhaps $160k - $170k retail would be a good deal?

4. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Coupe? 185k max

5. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Www.luxuryautocollection.com has a white coupe with 13k miles asking 185. Assume selling price is less. That gives you a good ballpark of where price should be.

6. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    You can get this glass engine cover for the 458 spider, I love the 458 spider so much I highly recommend one, if it's just the cover this might do it. Once you put down the rear window in the 458 the sound you can hear changes dramatically. I had the opportunity to switch to a speciale but would never give up the rear window going down. Any 458 you buy coming from porsche will be a great experience anyway. I did the same a while back and now on to buying my 4th and will be ordering 5th ferrari in the coming days
    Sent from my CLT-L09 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

jem890 likes this.
  7. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Forgot the photo in the first post Image Unavailable, Please Login

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  8. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    A spider is good only to drive slowly on smooth tarmac - lack of stiffness will get in the way in all other conditions ;)

IloveGT and boobernackle like this.
  9. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
  10. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel

Have a good look at more dealers …. and asking price is always too high.

Such a rear panel with glass can be found on Ebay often.

But is expensieve, you may also have to respray the color …

Tell us what you have bought please, wit lots of photo's :)

Good hunting !

11. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Not oem although it looks great, it's Capristo, buy it used, keep your original, drive with it on then sell again used and put the original one back on when u sell the car

Zcobra1 and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  12. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    A non-OEM cover looks great, better than the OEM hood that prevents you to look at the engine at all.

Even so, you have to adjust your expectations: the positioning of the engine in the Spider is different from the Italia, to make way for the roof mechanism to operate, making it always less visible than the Italia. You can barely see the engine’s head in the Spider, while in the Italia you have full access to everything. That said, I’m a fan of the non-OEM glass cover. It makes the Spider even more charming.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Melvok likes this.
  13. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    It looks amazing! Checked it out, costs 9k usd not worth it IMO. I don't even look at it since I'm driving it

Melvok likes this.
  14. slvr993

slvr993 Rookie

Aug 16, 2013
    West Chester PA
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thanks guys - very good advice here. I was torn on the spider vs Italia. I'll need to give the spider another look. The Italia I'm looking at is from a dealership and would come with two years of warranty and maintainance...How do I value that vs buying from a private party without either? Meaning if the true value of the car is $175-$185K. Do I treat the warranty as a value $5k ? - Just curious - Thanks again

15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I think that’s about right.

16. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Another thing I've noticed with the rear window is that people with Italia always keep the window down to hear the engine and exhaust, but on the road it can get annoying with all the other sound from other cars etc. But with the rear window down, the only thing you hear is the engine. And you hear it really well! Having that said, 9/10 times I'm driving with the roof down. You don't take your ferrari out for a joy ride if it's raining.

17. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    With a 2015 you'd still get about 2 years of maintenance even from a private party (the 7-year maintenance is transferred); the addition you'd get from a dealer is the warranty but you can buy it (so you could have it quoted to get a real monetary value).

18. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Congrats on the decision to go Ferrari after Porsche. I did the same thing and couldn’t be happier.

Above replies are accurate, $200 is too high.

My only comment, is are you sure you don’t want a Spider? Everyone here talked me into one instead of a coupe. Great advice!

19. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Same here. Thinking of selling my 991.1 4sc now. The 458 killed all the joy I felt in the porsche. The jump from my 991.1 to 458 Spider was like the jump I felt from my bmw 530 to 991.1.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I was offered 4.5k used, and I would sell it used again so it's not crazy, maybe if you want to jump out and buy it used right away you have to pay a premium i.e 9k. I wouldn't go for it if I wasn't going to put on Rosso or cost of spraying and the back again would be prohibitive. If u wanted it u would wait for it to come up and buy when price is right, like many thi gs if you wait you get a bargain, could be less then 4.5k

21. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    What is the warranty? If its new power it covers little, I had 3 458 spiders and last one I bought only had new power, it doesn't cover much anyway and cost for 2 years is £5k not sure of cost in $

22. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    The porsche is hard to replace for everyday, I have a 991.1 3.8 2s and you can't beat it, they cost nothing to run, depreciation is minimal, warranty that covers near everything is £1k per year and service averages £500 per year, its bargain basement cost for a great package, I lost more on BMWs

of2worlds likes this.
  23. slvr993

slvr993 Rookie

Aug 16, 2013
    West Chester PA
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    PTG1 - I agree on the 991 as a daily. Unbeatable and the warranty covers everything - no issue if you track the car. But after 20 years of Porsche I need a new toy and this is a weekend driver not my daily.

As for a spider. I love the spider look and when I was going with the Mac 570s it was going to be a spider. On the 458 I love that engine window but as you've all pointed out that window adds zero to the driving experience so a slight shift in my search may be in order.

What I'm taking away is $200K is too much for an Italia, I should be strongly considering a spider ad I need to do my homework on warranty so I know what I'm getting / or not getting and how to value it. I'm quickly running out of driving weather here in PA so I can at least take my time, but I gotta have something before spring. I already sold my Porsche and I am without a toy car of any kind for the first time in 20 years. Honestly, it gives me a twinge of anxiety.

24. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    of2worlds, DefunctNeurons and PTG1 like this.
  25. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Agree to that. I'm switching between my 991.1 and X5 on daily basis depending on the comfort I feel like. However, thinking or replacing the 991 for a continental GT.