575 on the move | FerrariChat

575 on the move

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Clyde Romero, Oct 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    Name is clyde
    new guy in town
    Well known on the Ferrari list
    I just got a 2003 575 with 26k on it in may of this year
    So far I’ve drive 6k with the car and no major issues
    I had an oil pressure sending unit go south on me which was replaced twice
    Going to do my own oil change here next week
    Hate that body condom underneath the car!
    Plan on putting another 5-6k on the car by the end of the year
    What surprises me the most about this car is how well the A/C works
    Even down here in Atlanta where it’s Africa Hot and my trips to New Orleans the cockpit stays cool and the motor temps are down right low!
    They did an excellent job with the cooling capabilities of the 575
    I am a long time 512 TR owner with over 109K on that car so I’ve seen the major differences and improvements from that vehicle to this one.
    That’s it for now
    Stay tuned

MartinPO, psych0hans, bamaman and 6 others like this.
  2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Clyde- Welcome and continue to enjoy your 575M.

3. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Clyde. I remember you from FerrariList. Still Flying? We actually met a few times at Ferrari Events.

I too have a 2003 575 (mine is a 3 Pedal, yours?). Anyway, welcome.

4. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    Mine is an F-1
    I drive it like a 3 pedal car
    Can’t see why people go thru clutch’s on these F-1 transmissions
    Having driven several 550’s I find the manuals clunky compared to my 512 TR
    Personally I think the 575 was designed around the F-1 tranny
    Ferrari had several Manuel trannys left and threw them in the 575 to move them
    Rumor has it that there is one superamerica with a slush box
    I don’t believe it
    I would have to see a picture!
    Introduce yourself at the next event you see me at
    I don’t bite!

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  5. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    Oh yea
    Retired 4 years ago
    38 years of saying
    This is your captain speaking
    Was enough!
    Miss flying the fighters though
    Until then

6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Clyde- 3 pedal and F1 transmissions are identical except for the shift and clutch actuation mechanisms. They are interchangeable, as are all the F1 Ferrari transaxles built on the same line as the 3 pedals.

The 575M transmission was beefed up from the 550 to take the stresses from F1 shifting including triple synchronizers (one of them a dog clutch) for the lower gears. Many parts are shared with the Enzo and 612.

Superamericas have the same F1A software and F1 control panel fitted to the 612. Have never heard of an SA with an automatic, but for the Sultan of Brunei, anything was possible.

7. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    Thanks Taz
    Didn’t know you were on this forum
    Doing an oil change con the 575 shortly
    Will take pictures and post my results issues etc
    Stay tuned

8. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    I’m David Divins. We actually sat next to each other at the Canadian GP in 2002/3 (?). I had a single mirror TR at the time.

9. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    Ok
    I think I remember you now

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Seems you were moonlighting as an A&P since '69, too? :p

If it's not Boeing (or Ferrari), I'm not going...

11. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    Not actually
    I was working as an A&P during my High School years, I went to Aviation HS in NYC, during the summers, we worked for different airlines.
    I worked for Pan Am out of Idlewild Airport what you know now as JFK
    That’s how we got our experience
    I was an AI at the ripe old age of 18!
    Having flown both Airbus and Boeing is 2 generations behind Airbus in automation and overall safety !
    If Boeing drops a MAX after the fix for any reason, they might as well crush the ones they haven’t delivered, because no one will get on one

12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Now you'll have to explain to the youngsters what Pan Am was :D

Another reason why I like Boeing. Please give me an aircraft which runs on one external power lead, not four (to keep the computers happy). Easily corroded aluminium wiring (to meet weight targets)... no thanks. The MAX accidents will soon be forgotten by the public... just as they forgot the A330 accidents.

But we digress..

13. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    Sir
    I take that you are intimately familiar with FAR 25, if that is the case you interpreted it incorrectly.
    I also take it that you’ve read the AB 330 accident in it’s entirety, and if that’s the case you need to re read it as well.
    Having been type rated and flown revenue for a major airline on both pieces of equipment I speak with first hand knowledge and experience
    I see you are in Australia, ask your Air Force why they chose the AB 330 over the KC -46 Boeing, which is struggling, those of us who knew begged the USAF to buy the AB product. The buy American theme over came reality, and we got what we got.
    A flying nightmare https://www.defensenews.com/digital-show-dailies/air-force-association/2019/09/18/amc-commander-boeing-has-not-made-progress-on-kc-46/?utm_source=clavis
    This forum is neither the time nor the place for this conversation
    I wish you well.
    Fly Boeing, cause it’s not going!

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Clyde- What killed the aircrew and all passengers off the coast of Brazil would not have happened in a Boeing aircraft. The right seat side stick controller was full aft during most of the stalled descent, but you could not see that on the left side because the two sticks are not interconnected. Design problem.

The KC-46A vs Airbus story is much more complicated than you make it out to be. I dread every time I have to ride in an Airbus. The WTO just found for the US on the issue of whether Europe illegally helped Airbus financially.

Qavion likes this.
  15. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    Taz
    I Respect your opinion as an Air Force officer and a fellow member of the TAF.

16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Sorry, I can't let your last post go unchallenged on any forum. Which accident? The one closest to home is the "Qantas 72" (106 injuries, 14 serious)... What if pilot training and altitude hadn't saved that flight? Over-automation (not only Airbus) is interfering with pilot control and exacerbating pilot confusion, killing people en-mass. I'm sure you're familiar with the expression "children of the magenta line". And let's not forget the first A330 crash. How "convenient" it happened before the aircraft was delivered to customers.
    With regards to Air France, opposing pilot input has been seen on old style Boeings, too (That recent Prime Air/Atlas 767 crash, for example).

Do I need to be intimately familiar with FAR 25 in Australia? Yes, I've worked on US-registered aircraft (Atlas) under their regulations, but my exposure to your certification paperwork, thankfully, was limited. What part of FAR 25 are you referring to?

Sorry, no hotline to the RAAF. Price? Size? Delivery time? Some of the Airbus 330's in our fleet were offered to us at prices we couldn't refuse .... part of a package deal because we bought the A380. The A380 was chosen on capacity/airport slots. In hindsight, the 777 would have been the better choice during the GFC, despite the increasingly poor U$-A$ exchange rate. Engineers love the 777 because it had an input into the design from the engineers who work on aircraft (unlike, it seems, any other aircraft before or after).

You seem to be inferring I don't. I won't brag how long I've worked on 747's and 767's (in their various iterations) because time on aircraft is not necessarily a measurement of how well you've known them. But, for information, a type course on the 747-400 (Avionics) alone was about 4 months in an Australian classroom (and many, many years of filling out experience logbooks before I was allowed to certify for them). Yes, I too, worked on Pan Am (in my younger years). Of course, I spent less time on A330's and A380's, but long enough to know the differences in philosophy. A fellow engineer aptly labelled the A330, the Hyundai of the skies.

That's all from me, folks... rather coincidentally, packing my bags for another Boeing flight...

17. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I for one, am so overwhelmed to see cLyDe here...it is nothing short of a miracle! Clyde, what was your quote about those of us defecting from the FerrariList to Ferrarichat some 14 or 15 years ago? "Real men don't chat!" ;) Looking forward to your many informed posts, and strong opinions. Welcome Clyde.

F456M and Clyde Romero like this.
  18. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    I came here because I wanted assist the 308/575 / 512 crowd with their cars
    You know I drive my cars don’t wash and wax them!
    Already have 32k plus on the 575 and the 512 will break 110k by years end
    So I figured I’d pass my extensive working knowledge to those who wanted it like we have done on the Ferrari list
    And you know how many I’ve helped there
    I am not going to get into it with anyone on this forum
    That’s what we have the FERRARI LIST
    There It’s much like a fighter squadron de brief , tell it like it is and get over it
    Here not so much
    Anyway stay tuned if there are issues with the 575 I will find them
    I am just curious how long a clutch last with the F-1 system
    I’ve never replaced a clutch in any of my slush box cars
    So I will be the test guy on the F-1
    Right now the clutch has 6 k on it
    That’s it for now

19. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Clyde- As long as you drive her like you do a 3 pedal, just with one pedal missing, the clutch should last a long, long time.

20. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    Taz
    I hear you but why is it that when I see Ferrari’s with the F-1 tranny for sale like mine was the clutch was done at such a low mileage?
    my cars clutch was done at 26K miles
    that’s ridiculous, who makes a clutch that last such a small period of time
    So what is it then?
    Are they driving in the automatic mode?
    Idiot mode ?
    Drag racing?
    I’ve been driving Ferrari’s since 1984, had 308 GTB QV put 118k on that car with the original clutch
    Sold it that way with no issues
    My current 512 TR has 109k on it when I did the engine swaps 95K I changed the clutch and the flywheel out only because I had worn out the flywheel
    The clutch had 95k on it and it was still good in fact I still have the clutch assembly in my garage with the pressure plate
    And all I see and hear is that the F-1 trannys eat clutch’s 355/360/430/612/575/ on and on .......
    In fact when you look at the FML all you see is F-1 cars that say clutch replaced
    So I am a little leery to say the least about this system
    I drive my cars, they don’t sit around, that why I bought them
    So we will see how this plays out
    This forum along with the Ferrari list will be the first to know
    Until then

psych0hans and F456M like this.
  21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Clyde- Many folks never learn to use F1 correctly, so that helps. But I actually have no clue how they wear out a clutch that quickly. Back up a bunch of hills, I guess. Reverse is nearly as high as second, so it is rough on the clutch.

Ferraris are geared like drag racers, especially compared to something like a Corvette, so the clutch should have a pretty easy life. Personally, I have never worn out a clutch after 56 years of trying, through 10 Corvettes, 4 Ferraris, and 4 Porsches, all with clutches. Not to mention the family cars with 3 pedals.

F456M and Red575 like this.
  22. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    Taz
    What’s the issue with reverse on a 575 ?
    So it’s higher than 2nd gear, on my 512 I can come off a stop light in 5th gear!
    I don’t do it but it’s not a issue and in fact you can drive a 512 in 5th all day long if you know how to work a clutch
    Surely in 3rd and 4th without any issue whatsoever
    The 575 has at least as much torque down low
    Anyway I just find it unbelievable that these F-1 trannys have this clutch failure issue associated with them
    I am with you I drive it just like a slush box
    I coast into stop lights in neutral, if the traffic starts moving before I get there I paddle up, it always finds a high gear than it needs in my option
    Question how do you check your clutch to see if it’s slipping with this F-1 system?
    My technique with a slush box was to accelerate in 3rd gear hard and then let off, it the car experienced engine braking then I knew I had a solid clutch.

23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Clyde- Starting in 2nd is not a good deal with our clutch set-up and reversing up hills normally results in the smell of burned clutch.

When coasting to a stop in neutral hitting either the upshift or downshift paddle will get you the same gear. That gear will normally be too high for normal acceleration. I use the downshift paddle to select a gear and am then ready for an immediate downshift to get a usable gear.

Checking and setting the PIS so that the output shaft is barely not moving will pretty much eliminate clutch slippage until the clutch is worn out. Looking through the port at the clutch, you can gauge wear by looking at the throw-out bearing pin. When worn, the pin disappears into the guide hole.

Any of the techniques for checking clutch wear on a 3 pedal will work on F1 as long as it is not in a rev range that causes an automatic downshift.

24. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    Taz
    I’ve never started in 2nd gear knowingly with the 575
    Next time I have the car up on the rack will look for the pin you speak of
    My PIS seems to be set correctly, while in 1 st gear if I am on a hill I will roll backwards
    It’s basically a neutral until I add some gas
    Like I said I will be the test pilot on the clutch usage on the 575 since I will be driving the car more than most
    Thanks for your input as always

25. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    Ok so I Just got back from a round trip Atlanta to Charleston SC
    775 miles give or take a couple of miles
    The return trip was in rain
    Here is what I learned from that
    Moderate to heavy rain you will here the rain hitting off the bottom panels and if you haven’t heard it before it will get you attention
    I drove partially in the slip mode and what I found out was that even though you are in the manual mode
    It will shift for you
    Interesting
    Since I could not find anything in the book that alluded to this phenomenon of it shifting for you
    I thought if you were in the manual mode that was it
    But not the case
    At least that’s what I experienced
    Wide tires will hydroplane, so be careful out there
    Remember theoretical hydroplane occurs at 9 times the square root of the tires pressure
    That’s it boys and girls
    Have a run to Memphis at the end of the month
    Got 20 mpg on the run with a 27 gallon tank tank and 2 gallon reserve that’s 500 mile stage length
    Plenty for me
    Big trip up north coming up in early November
    New Jersey Philadelphia New Hampshire Pennsylvania Virginia North Carolina
    Maybe snow sleet
    Definitely cold weather starts
    Until then

psych0hans, Il Tifoso and F456M like this.