Brake light mods | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Brake light mods

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by mrbon007, Aug 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    anyone done this with an electronic/car radio shop?

Fireman1291 likes this.
  2. i want to completely cover or remove the bottom brake lights....

3. SO you removed the bottom brake lights that awesome, any way to get the signal to the top lights too?

4. bennzwel

bennzwel Karting

Nov 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    B N
    Im going to resurrect this thread . Wouldn’t it be easy to located the distributor switch and swap the wires at that point without any cutting ? Is that circuit board that sends light signals to the back located anywhere accessible with ease ?

5. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Great thought here

6. mobinakhtar

mobinakhtar Karting

Jan 28, 2015
    I wonder why his third brake light is not on? This is why I have not doe the mod yet! (Please see image on page 1 of this thread). After swapping lights, the brakes do come on as fog lights but the third brake light still appears dark or not-on.

7. Racerbill24

Racerbill24 Rookie

Sep 25, 2019
    Full Name:
    Bill Collyer
  8. ToddMick

ToddMick Karting

Sep 30, 2019
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Todd M
    I'm hoping to take this on over the next few days! While I'm at it, I'm going to change the turn signals into LED. Might as well...

Chizz and Federal man like this.
  9. cab2u

cab2u Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    NYC
    When the next person does this, please take very detailed photos with instructions. No one has done that yet.

Fireman1291 likes this.
  10. Racerbill24

Racerbill24 Rookie

Sep 25, 2019
    Full Name:
    Bill Collyer
    If your going to do the turn signals you must put a load resistor in each circuit of warning message will come on dash and very fast blinker.

11. Racerbill24

Racerbill24 Rookie

Sep 25, 2019
    Full Name:
    Bill Collyer
    If your going to do the turn signals you must put a load resistor in each circuit of warning messag

12. ToddMick

ToddMick Karting

Sep 30, 2019
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Todd M
    Yep, got the LED with built in resistors. Work great! Ill post a video of 1 side LED vs 1 side halogen. Worth the $20 (at least to me).

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. ToddMick

ToddMick Karting

Sep 30, 2019
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Todd M
    JUST finished with the brake lights. I have a ton of pictures and will give exact instructions shortly. My fingertips are killing me now so give me a little bit.

14. cab2u

cab2u Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    NYC
    That is an awesome job. The only thing I would ask is if you can just draw exactly how the wires are connected. Some sort of basic wiring diagram would be great. Thanks for the work.

Chizz likes this.
  15. ToddMick

ToddMick Karting

Sep 30, 2019
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Todd M
    Chizz likes this.
  16. cab2u

cab2u Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    NYC
    By cutting the green wire, it looks like you are completely disconnecting the lower lights. Some people run the wire from the upper fogs down to the lower to convert the to fogs. You did not do that. In your write-up, the lower lights are on with the trunk open. How is that?

17. ToddMick

ToddMick Karting

Sep 30, 2019
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Todd M
    I think the red wire that comes in powers the running lights and the green powers the brakes. Checked this with a voltmeter before I cut anything. The car sends voltage via red wire while the trunk is open.

Chizz likes this.
  18. Andrew Leather-Barrow

Oct 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Andrew Leather-Barrow
    Hi all I’ve just taken delivery of a 2010 California and been following this thread’s evolution for a long time.
    I am going to do this mod but I will change out the 21w bulb in the center of the led cluster for a 10w bulb, swap the wires over in the plastic socket so the daytime/ night light is in the center and the led outer ring becomes the brake light.
    That way it will be completely legal and compliant in the UK, I also think that the led outer ring along with the central led strip will give maximum impact when applying the brakes (will also match and look good)
    Cheers Andrew

19. ToddMick

ToddMick Karting

Sep 30, 2019
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Todd M
    There are 3 wires that run into the upper light fixture. I’d be 1 is ground, 1 is power for the inner bulb, and 1 is power for the LED ring. One could probably swap the 2 wires around on the harness and accomplish the task you are talking about. I put a red led bulb in place of the white halogen and it looks MUCH better.

20. scriber17

scriber17 Karting

Oct 30, 2008
    Manhattan, NYC
    Full Name:
    Tang
    Someone should definitely make a plug and play harness for this mod and take my money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dblankenbaker and Fireman1291 like this.
  21. ToddMick

ToddMick Karting

Sep 30, 2019
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Todd M
    I think you will keep waiting! Lol! The challenge with a plug and play harness is running it through the cluttered and small rubber wiring harness. It was really a tight fit to jam 2 wires with not fittings on the end.

22. Miami4me

Miami4me Rookie

Aug 30, 2019
    Miami
    Outstanding write up. I’m anxious to try it. A few years ago I swapped LED taillights into a 997 Porsche. It seemed very straightforward on paper, but it took a lot of time, tweaked resistors, and cut fingers. Your mod is so much more practical. I litigate trucking accidents for a living, and the thought of a big rig not seeing my little Cali brake lights and pancaking me scares the heck out of me.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. ToddMick

ToddMick Karting

Sep 30, 2019
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Todd M
    Thank you! It just takes time like everything else. Yeah, I wanted to stay as far away from cutting things up as I have terrible luck of cutting the wrong thing. For sure! The "real" break lights look way better and you will be glad you did it. :) Many people have done this different ways but my way works.

24. Atami

Atami Rookie

Feb 7, 2019
    San Francisco Bay Area/Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Ali Raheem
    GNU and ToddMick like this.