StartedFromTheBottom - A Warning to Others | Page 2 | FerrariChat

StartedFromTheBottom - A Warning to Others

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Jasonberkeley, Oct 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    Why didn’t you post your first reply mate? And yes. You can go back to loving yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    #32 Jasonberkeley, Oct 8, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    So above are the highlights showing the history of what I was to receive.

Supposedly the original, draft rules with hand marked-up changes to the first 348 Challenge series, supposedly from the person who conceived of the series. An individual who Carlo is friends with, and who was a senior team manager with a series of top level pro teams in Germany.

I had bought a number of 348 Challenge related items from Carlo previously with no issue. The agreement, as per the PM with him above, was that he would provide from Peter the original draft rules with hand mark-ups, a typed history of how he conceived of the idea and what happened subsequently, with a series of historical highlights that Carlo had first pointed out to be included, translated, electronically, and a signed printed version. A copy of the person's CV. Also electronically, as well as a printed and signed version.

I never received the originals. Only worthless xerox copies. I never received a detailed story. I received three handwritten only pages (in German, not translated, not electronic) simply sayin that he was a race manager who worked at teams x, y, and z and he came up with the idea for the series. Not much more. I never received his CV.

I did not want to go out in the public like this and had hoped to resolve directly with Carlo privately. However he has gone from making excuses for four months to deflecting and simply not responding. He should have my money returned or private what I paid for and he agreed to provide immediately.

3. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    The moderators have full access to the entire PM with Carlo and I had requested that they review and make decisions based on the actual complete exchange which I endeavored to do in a private matter with some decorum directly with them. I find this entire process of public shaming distasteful and not my style.

Im not looking for positive reinforcement from everyone on here. I simply wanted a refund or be given what I paid for. The moderators suggested they cant do anything directly to help (which I understand), and best bet for success was to warn others publicly, which has now been done.

AshAP likes this.
  4. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    I will never understand how people can feel comfortable doing business with those outside of the U.S. You always have to ask yourself, can I live with $X amount if I get burned. In the end, always ensure the transaction provides you recourse of some sort to get your money back but airing it in a forum rarely works. Not saying you're in the right, or he's in the wrong (although you have fairly substantial proof).

5. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD

Jason,

I'm sorry that you are going through this....it reminds me of the Opus thread in 2018. Fortunately a local Fchat member got involved (Sid) and got the money refunded.

What seems very similar is the language and excuses. What is different is that at least according to your emails....it looks like you sent the money to Peter not Carlo. Isn't Peter the one who should refund your money?

6. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    I only ever dealt with Carlo, who is effectively serving as Peter's agent, as you can see from the exchanges.

I have no contact information for Peter, and apparently Peter speaks only German.

I trusted Carlo as I had purchased several items from him previously with no issue.

While I agree, ultimately it is Peter's responsibility, you can see yourself from the exchanges with Carlo that Carlo has made no effort to push this with Peter to get it resolved or approached Peter about my refund request. As if the two are complicit with one another to provide nothing and pocket my money.

7. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Perhaps Admins do but I certainly do not.

Matt

8. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    At this point, the best you can do is just suck it up and accept that you've been taken. Since it's an international issue, you're extremely unlikely to get any financial satisfaction.

I suggest you use this as one of those learning moments and be glad what you lost isn't going to impact your lifestyle in any way.

My condolences.

9. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Unfortunately, I think youre right.

Hopefully other on here can also read, learn, and avoid doing business with Carlo.

jferrante, WATSON and EastMemphis like this.
  10. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    It does appear that you've been wronged.

It seems like you got yourself involved in a complex and fairly risky transaction, to the point where you must always have known there was a concern of this happening. I could see myself entering into something similar, but would always have to keep in mind and accept the risk of losing the purchase price. Sorry this happened to you. Could just have easily turned out to be something wonderful.

Kevin

11. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
  12. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    commercial poster here ? if not, seems to be a business to me via the volume of stuff ?

Jasonberkeley and BOKE like this.
  13. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I don’t see any”facts” or explanations in Carlo’s posts here.

14. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    [​IMG]\
    Jason.....did you send the money to Peter or Carlo.....it does make a difference. According to this screenshot the money was to be wired directly to Peter. If that is the case, Carlo should provide you Peter's contact info and your beef is with him.

15. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    To Peter, but he supposedly speaks no English and all communication was through Carlo as his agent.

A valid point, but I dont speak German, Peter doesnt speak English, and at this point I actually have no idea what Carlo said to Peter the expectation for deliverables was. As others have pointed out, I took a risk based on past transactional history with Carlo, and it seems to have back-fired.

16. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    That's a very good distinction.

If money was paid to Peter, and Jason received the best that Carlo could get Peter to produce, what more do we want Carlo to do?

Note that Jason voluntarily paid €1,300, €200 more than the originally asking price.

Matt

17. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    It’s always a shame when members get into a tussle over business, whether small or large amounts are involved. I’d love to be able to help, but I don’t speak German and don’t think I fancy giving a 70 year old man a heart attack, so this time I won’t be able to be of much help!

Forza Ferrari..... the only racing team and car marque that matters. Italia forever It’s easier to apologise than it is to ask permission

AshAP and INRange like this.
  18. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Matt- I paid 1100 Euro, or equivalent to a touch more than $1300, which was the agreed upon price for the original documents as well as the back-story and CV.

I would hardly describe this as "the best that Carlo could get," as at no time does he appear to be acknowledging the lag in time or asking Peter for a refund. He seems to be either afraid to push Peter, or simply not to care. Any of us could have written way more than what was required in four months.

I think that Carlo just doesnt care to provide what was agreed to, or want to be bothered with this matter.

19. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I was wondering the same thing JD. It did appear that Jason wired the money to Peter. I don't know Carlo's commission in this transaction, but he seems to have devoted a lot of time in communications. The most I could expect of Carlo is to perhaps refund his commission, but it is really Peter's obligation to refund the money.

All that being said, even though it has been an unreasonable amount of time, it appears from Carlo's last communication that the documents may still be forthcoming.

BTW, with Google translate and other like programs, there is no reason not to communicate directly with Peter.

INRange likes this.
  20. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    No one, including admins, has access to your PMs, except for you and those that receive your PM

carguyjohn350 likes this.