Special Tools for Timing Belt Job | FerrariChat

Special Tools for Timing Belt Job

Discussion in '360/430' started by Stuttgart911, Oct 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Stuttgart911

Stuttgart911 Rookie

Jul 24, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Stuttgart911
    Hi all,

Are there any special tools I will need to do this job? One video I saw showed a aluminum piece that locks the bottom of engine?

Just thought I would post a quick thread to ask.

Thank you all!!

2. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Flywheel lock, tensioner spanner wrench/adapter, tensioner lock pins, timing belt acoustic meter, small hands, bilingual skills to cuss in both English and Italian....

There are several articles including spreadsheets detailing the process including parts needed, torque values, tools, etc.

jehu999 and Flyingbrick242 like this.
  3. Stuttgart911

Stuttgart911 Rookie

Jul 24, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Stuttgart911
    Does anyone have these parts they would be willing to lend me for a weekend. I will obviously pay shipping! And a bottle of wine!!!

4. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I seriously doubt someone here will take your offer unless you're willing to submit some sort of monetary deposit for the tools. Just saying.

5. Stuttgart911

Stuttgart911 Rookie

Jul 24, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Stuttgart911
    For sure totally understand. Whatever they would like as far as deposit. I get it.

6. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Funny you should ask.

I did just that for another member. Basically, I've got the tools, they are doing me nothing for the next 3 yrs or so. So I basically did a Loan-a-tool like some of the auto parts stores do. Just like the stores, I don't make anything off the deal, just a good will type thing. They are hoping you will buy stuff from them. I am just looking out for the DIY Ferrari mechanic!

He sent me the tool replacement cost via PP plus shipping and I sent him the tools. When he was done, he sent them back and I sent his PP back to him once I received the tools in good condition. If you are interested, let me know. The only tools that don't have a replacement cost are the locking pins since they come with new tensioners and are not available separately. Not sure what year your car is but even if it's a 2004, new tensioner assemblies might be something to consider.

The only special tool that I don't include is the camshaft locking device...but I can if you need that highly specialized tool as well. :D

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  7. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    My prices are directly from Ricambi/Hill Engineering and shipping to my house (for replacement) is detailed below. Astute viewers will notice the tensioner tool IS NOT from Hill. However this does work as described. Lets just say the "what happens if something gets lost or broken scenario has been tested. If you would like them both or all three, let me know. Since the tensioner lock pins are not available separately, we can discuss that if you are not replacing the tensioner assemblies.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I've done this job multiple times on 308, Mondial t, 348, TR, F40 and CS. Vice grips are your friend. The other stuff is nice, but I've never needed it.

9. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Parking brake & wife’s lovely foot on brake pedal with car in gear - (mine is a 3pdl) no need for flywheel lock tool.

2 drill bits and a screw driver - no need for tensioner tool.

Finishing nail from my pneumatic nailer - I do have the pin this is just as good. (Don’t use brittle stuff like drill bit or Alan key.)

Frequency app for iPhone many out there, perfect. I have compared to the Ducati tool, just as good.

Silly putty for taking imprint of the timing marks on the cams on the back end under the inspection covers. Try it.

Vice grips to lock cam pulleys -official method.

lkstaack and tonino ct like this.
  10. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Great solutions there, esp. the finishing nail and silly putty! I didn't bother wifey when I did mine....it was hard enough for her to see her car in pieces when I did the exhaust!

11. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    I have drawers full of "specialized" tools (i.e. homemade/modified tools) that came from my past experiences in shops both professionally and personally. I have no problem with homemade stuff or alternative ideas as they are usually just as good if not better. With that being said, I did buy the "specialty tools" to change the belts on my 360 and have them sitting in a drawer taking up space. If anyone wants to use them, I'll send them to you in exchange for the replacement cost of the tool. I don't make anything on this and there is no time limit. When you are done, send me the tools back and I'll send your money back. Simple.

I'm not discounting the home made stuff or alternative methods at all. It's just I know at times, some people would rather use the tool designed for the task vs. improvising. So if someone needs them, they are available rather then them buying them and having them sit in their tool box.

I also have the Transmission bushing tool remover/installer as well.

12. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    I meant no disrespect. I buy and own many tools also. I have even lent my degree wheel, piston stop, and gauges to fellow fchatters. I agree the correct tools are indispensable.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Sorry if it came across like that, didn't mean for it too. I might drive a Ferrari and Maserati but I don't sleep in Ferrari PJ's if you get my drift. After all, some of the parts on my car actually came from AutoZone!

14. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    I bought a VW timing belt tensioning tool for $19.00

Does the same thing

Very high grade German tool

15. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    tonino ct likes this.
  16. FiatAbarth850

FiatAbarth850 Karting

Aug 2, 2020
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Full Name:
    Bill H.
    Don't forget the short 34mm socket for the crank nut....not many home shop tool kits have that in it.

17. FiatAbarth850

FiatAbarth850 Karting

Aug 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    Bill H.
    Hey Ghostdiver, are you interested in posting some pics of the flywheel locking tool from all sides with a tape measure sitting beside it? That would be very helpful! Bill

18. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Ain't it 36?

tonino ct likes this.
  19. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    it is 36mm.

20. FiatAbarth850

FiatAbarth850 Karting

Aug 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    Bill H.
    Yes, 36mm, sorry for typo.

21. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    I have seen the crank lock tool made of an aluminum plate with two bolts threaded through to lock the ring gear.

I think if one values his car it makes more sense to pay the $220.00 +/- for the Hill part, and get the job done correctly

22. FiatAbarth850

FiatAbarth850 Karting

Aug 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    Bill H.
    I agree that the two-bolts-through-an-aluminum-plate option is not accurate enough to risk your motor on but making a proper tool modeled on the Hill version should not be that difficult. I have to change belts in the spring and I plan on making a cardboard template for the locking portion of the tool. I will try to pick up 4 teeth instead of two to spread the load a little. Once I've got an accurate cardboard template it will be easy to make it in metal. I intend to incorporate inspection holes so that when the tool is installed I can confirm with a borescope that the teeth are engaged correctly. I think that it should take about an hour to build in steel or about 1.5 hrs in alluminum. Doing this for me is more about the satisfaction of making my own tool rather than saving the money of buying one. When I've got accurate templates I'll post them if anyone wants them.

23. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Now that's creativity and this is what has made FC so viable for so many years.

If one has the time and the skills it's great to make useful parts.

There is no question that the Hill products are superb in every respect.

The oil filter wrench is an invaluable tool for example.

However, the Hill crank lock is quite important for those of us who do not have the time to make the parts

24. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Or those of us that do several 360s timing belt jobs a year and it's just good to have something that flat out works.

Skidkid and armedferret like this.
  25. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    BTW the Hill Engineering tool is not locking on the teeth of the flywheel but is lodging itself in a slot on the side of the clutch pressure plate. It’s a very sturdy setup.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat