1/18 news | Page 49 | FerrariChat

1/18 news

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by furoni, Jan 14, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The nose on the model looks like it might be the "standard" nose, but noses at Monaco were typically shorter, sometimes very much so.

2. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
  3. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
  4. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
  5. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    NürScud, BLACK HORSE and gt4me like this.
  6. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    ???? yes, why is it so small!!!!??? WTF where they thinking??? That's not a 312T from the 70s!!!

7. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Selling my 1:18 Ferrari LaFerrari Aperta in the classifieds section.

-F

8. Trokosi

Trokosi Rookie

Feb 2, 2019
    Hi, I have a fairly large collection of model Ferrari’s that I’ve moved onto some display shelves in my garage. Would anyone know if cold weather is bad for models over the long term - is there any risk to the paint work for instance?
    Thanks

9. Banzai!

Banzai! Karting

Mar 1, 2013
    Yes, the shorter noses created a larger intake opening for additional cooling. Amon ran the standard nose in the race, Bandini used a standard nose in practice but switched to the short one for the race.

10. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Cold-ish weather should be OK. If it reaches freezing temps in your garage that could affect the paint and glues.

-F

11. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    It's not ideal to subject any models long term to extreme cold or heat, and also the temperature and humidity changes of the seasons can also be a problem.

Trokosi likes this.
  12. Trokosi

Trokosi Rookie

Feb 2, 2019
    Thanks - need to persuade my wife to convert the spare room!

13. bwshihtzu

bwshihtzu Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2014
    Arizona
    MR Collection is going to be making a 1/18 model of the Viola Hong Kong Ferrari Pista recently posted in the 488 Pista thread. It’s an exclusive for Unususl43.com. See their Facebook page for more info.

14. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Well I finally gave in and bought one of the Matrix Ferrari 250 'Bertone' 3269GT. It is a very nice model, though flawed as I had expected, but still hugely better than the pig made by Tecnomodel.

It is pretty well made, but not up to the quality level of an equivalent BBR model. Fit & finish could be and should be better. There are a number of details not quite right, but very close. Some of the most noticeable mistakes/screw-ups are:
    The shade of Blue is too dark.
    Exhaust pipes are unevenly; fitted/crooked, and red stripe decals poorly attached and missing areas.
    Brake detailing is weak.
    Worse than the brakes are the cheap looking wire wheels. Brightly finished, but not chrome. And the Spokes? Well I guess their attitude was: we don't need no stinking spokes! These pedal car wheels only have 48 spokes, and no valve stems. I might replace the wheels with a set from BBR.
    Fitting of interior parts is ok, but not well done in some areas such as the door panels. Detail painting of the gear shift is a little sloppy.
    ALL of their models in both the Dark Blue and Silver colors have a glaring mistake. The top of the door window trim on both sides is incorrectly painted flat black - see the last photo, which shows their model without being fixed. I fixed the trim on my model - just carefully scraped off the flat black paint.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. ursoenzo

ursoenzo Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2006
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Christian Rauch
  16. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    That does look quite nice. But how strange to paint the window trim unnecessarily. You could easily imagine it not being painted when it should have been but most bizarre to do some work that isn't needed and make the model look worse. I don't get that at all!

17. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Very strange, my 250 GT PF Coupe by Matrix does have better wheels with a lot more spokes than the ones on the Bertone. And the freshly released 250 GTE also has more spokes. Maybe you should contact your seller or Matrix about this. Seems like something might be wrong with your sample.

18. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Thanks. I never even thought of looking at other pieces, and now that I have.... you're right. All those others appear to have wheels with more spokes including the 250 Bertone sold by others. So much for quality control in China. I've just contacted the seller and expect to be returning this model for one with good wheels. Thanks again for mentioning how you models are.

19. David C

David C Karting

Jul 29, 2014
    Thanks to Lusso123 for the impartial review; very few collectors do reviews on new releases anymore, especially knowledgeable collectors.

20. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Looking further into the wheel problem... I discovered that the wheels are not actually missing photo-etched parts, but that they were assembled incorrectly in the factory. There is unfortunately NO guarantee that if I have the model replaced, that I won't end up with the exact same problem again.... and or another different problem, since their quality control is not the best. This is another example of why when buying a model like this from standard model dealers who don't know the difference between a brick and their own rear end that buying from them is simply a gamble. I'm disgusted and frustrated. And the overall Chinese quality control is not good enough. So, I'm going to do two things:
    1) Buy and install a set of BBR wheels which are better than any from Matrix.
    2) Buy one of Pinto's 1:24 kits and have it built. It is a better, more accurate and more detailed piece anyway, and with engine detail.

21. Sharknose

Sharknose Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Pennsylvania
    Where would you source the BBR 1/18 wheels?

22. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
  23. Sharknose

Sharknose Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Pennsylvania
  24. Sharknose

Sharknose Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Pennsylvania
    Ordered a set from a site called Gemini Modelcars. Looks like they are based in Italy and their ordering is done through Etsy. They were sold out on the BBR site. I got the silver Bertone and the poor quality wheels really stood out. The new ones will make a big difference. Thanks again Marshall!

25. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares