458: New Wheels and Drop! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458: New Wheels and Drop!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by HX_Guy, Oct 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Viper830tt

Viper830tt Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 10, 2017
    Looks great in all respects (height and wheel design). Im not familiar with buying novitec springs but can you get stiffer ones to lower the travel distance? Obviously you would notice this with drive comfort. There are always trade offs.

Sent from my SM-N920V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Karting

Jun 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val B
    No, they only have one kind of spring, and I really wouldn't want to go stiffer.

I'm going to drive it for a few weeks and see how I adjust to it. Worse case I'll have it raised 1/4" or maybe 3/8" which Im assuming would be enough to have it not rub anymore.

3. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Karting

Jun 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val B
    Golattus likes this.
  4. squires

squires Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Why 21’ n 22’ ???? Not 20’ 21’

5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Congratulations!

Often times a car will settle down a bit on new springs. I think Novitec springs will allow you to raise it up a bit. They are progressive rate springs- which is why you can lower the car and still retain a fairly good ride quality.

6. Sean@TAG

Sean@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 25, 2015
    The car came out looking absolutely stunning! So glad we were able to help in this project :)

7. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Karting

Jun 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val B
    Thank you Sean! Sorry for being such a pain in the butt, you and TAG were awesome! :D

8. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I think it's a little low. My personal preference is to keep a uniform distance around the top of the wheel, rather than having it narrow on the top.

9. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Karting

Jun 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val B
    Thats my whole crux right now! If you look at the rear wheel, its PERFECT! Nice even all around the top. Front though, as you said, narrows at the top and gives it an aftermarket, slammed look, which I dont prefer. Lifting it will make the front look perfect, but the back may end up looking too high...have to pick one over the other. Given the rubbing, that has to be the deciding factor, so raising it up will have to win.

ryalex likes this.
  10. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
  11. Sean@TAG

Sean@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 25, 2015
    Not a pain at all!! She is your baby, and she deserves to be perfect!!!! thanks for the kind words :)

12. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    Rubbing is great.

T308 likes this.
  13. v35

v35 Karting

May 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Looks great, but that little bump in the fender liner is a very typical area for our cars to rub with aggressive wheels and low ride height. I couldn't stand the rubbing sound because it felt and sounded cheap. I ended up raising my car a little bit to get rid of the rubbing.

14. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Karting

Jun 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val B
    Any pictures of before and after?

15. Golattus

Golattus Karting
    BANNED

Dec 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    JN
    A bolt does not disappear just because of rubbing, it would shine but never gone

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Few things make a car feel as cheap and bad as the sound of a rubbing tyre. I can't stand that. Ugh!

I think to achieve the look you photoshopped you'll need a ½" raise. In the first few weeks, it might seem like tad much, but over the next two months or so, you'll lose about 3-4 mm as the car settles. But yes, that picture you photoshopped, looks a lot better imo.

Something else to keep in mind. I'm looking at the pictures of your current stance, and can't help but thinking that it looks very front heavy. It would be interesting if you could put it on a four corner scale and corner weight it while raising it. With the rake it currently has, it must have a lot of weight on the front wheels. There's more to setting ride height than just stance.

Generally I think it's a good idea to corner weight a car before doing these alterations. Then one can aim for OE weight bias while setting the stance as well as get the left and right balance even.

17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    #42 Il Co-Pilota, Oct 18, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    If the rear picks up too much when raising the front, just lower the rear. That's not an issue normally though as teh rear "rotates" when you raise the front, When you raise the front it also adds weight to the rear, so if anything, it sometimes lower the rear ever so slightly. But from what I've seen over the years, it usually don't do much if anything at all.

18. v35

v35 Karting

May 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Golattus likes this.
  19. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Karting

Jun 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val B
    So I stopped by the Ferrari dealer this weekend to take a look at some stock 458s and get a better idea of what happened to the fender lining. Looks like there was no bolt or anything here, just a bump out in the lining to clear a bolt that is located behind. My wheels rubbing, unfortunately, ate through this bump.

Have an appt this Thursday to raise it back up a tad.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Ouch!

Might want to consider having it fixed somehow. Can't help but wondering if that hole will let water into places where it does not belong. Possibly be worth giving Ricambi a call and see how much a new liner is.

21. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Karting

Jun 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val B
    I cant imagine that its a problem - if you look at the first two pictures, those are of a white, stock 458 (mine is red), theres already a pretty big hole there in the same area.

22. RickH3

RickH3 Rookie

Feb 14, 2010
    what size front tires you using?
    i went to 245/30 which stopped my rubbing.

if you get a chance i would be curious what the fender height is above ground.

23. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Karting

Jun 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val B
    I'm running 255/30-21 on the front. Fender height is 27 1/4" above the ground. How's yours?

24. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Where on your tyre are you rubbing? Side, outside shoulder, or on top of the thread itself? Only way you gain something by going to a 245 if it rubs due to width rather than diameter, as the radius difference between 245/30R21 and 255&30R21 is miniscule. What is your front wheel offsets HX-Guy and RickH3?

Rdwaggie likes this.
  25. RickH3

RickH3 Rookie

Feb 14, 2010
    i will dig out my numbers on the wheel offsets and check fender height
    i was rubbing on the rear portion of the liner when turning sharp

i did the math on the different tire size and figured it would help and it did
    I do not have the numbers in front of me, but even though the radius is only about .1" less, the width is also .4" less, so if you measurethe diagonal distance (to where tire edge rubbed) it was aboit .25" less, enough to not rub!

if car is too low then i doubt it would matter