After 10 years with my 612OTO, issues and rants...... | FerrariChat

After 10 years with my 612OTO, issues and rants......

Discussion in '612/599' started by johns930, Oct 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    It’s been years since I updated any info on my 09’612 OTO with 45K kms or 27K miles now due to my recent years of being spiritual. Now Ferraris are as far from my mind as Mars to me.
    I have to first apologize for my previous posts showing off my cars, I wasn’t awake before, and the only reason I still have my OTO and some other retarded ones is because it’s hard to sell.
    I’m one of the retarded people who got my 612 new, so bare with me.

Besides the dreaded sticky interior, shrinking leather door sill, my 612 left me stranded earlier this year during a spirited drive up the mountain due to a transmission issue that won’t let me get in gear. Easy fix once in the shop, a reset switch near the battery with a factory specific tool solved the issue and I also changed that F1 solenoid just in case ‘cause it was showing some oxidation and it was cheap.

For those who say the 612 is great or easy to drive always baffles me, it can’t be compared to a 430, 599, or anything with a double clutch.
    The car is huge and the nose is low, parking is an issue in the city, the po-go superfast F1 is an annoyance, any real automatic wins.
    The seat with the right leg and feet positioning is a little awkward and uncomfortable, I have to rest the whole side of my right leg/feet on the center console to gain leverage otherwise it gets tired after hanging there for a short while, and I’m young. Seats themselves are hard and flat.
    I have only recently got used to the stupid F1 by always shifting at around 3-4K RPM.
    I love the looks of my 612 the longer I got it, I love all the lines on the car and think it will look as good as a 250swb or lusso once it really ages. I changed to over 5 sets of Ferrari wheels to experience with looks being dumb, and think the original 20” challenge rims or GTO rims look best.

A 3series BMW is much easier and relaxing to drive than my 612, a Bentley is much easier to drive, hell, almost anything is easier to drive than this, but nothing, even in the Ferrari family looks this tasteful and classy going down the road.

I only attack the mountains with this car and almost never commute in it, compared to other Ferraris, it’s a yacht, it’s a nice yacht, but still a big yacht. Interior trim is zh!t compared to Bentleys or Audis. And no, I never use the backseat so I don’t even know what’s back there and why it needs to be so long. Trunk is small, not that I ever use it though.
    I enjoy the twistys in it but people in gt3s think I’m crazy. Eats tires fast when u do that.

Even at cheap used prices, I don’t know if I buy a 612, it’s old tech especially the transmission, it’s huge for what little room U can use inside, everything is as fast nowadays. So, the only reason I can think of it’s the looks. It’s really a sexy looking car, contrary to what people think when it first came out.

In closing, I still own some people vin#s on other rides and stuff, but my recent spiritual quest has distance myself from stuff like this. And hope u all enjoy ur cars and life.

https://rennlist.com/forums/rennpository-video-clips-and-other-online-videos/864060-612-gto.html

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Neither the 599 nor the F430 have a DCT. They have a twin plate dry clutch, just like the 612 OTO, and the 612 uses the same Superfast 1 F1 software as the 599.

3. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I'd say its not a super easy car to jump into and drive hard after a long time away from the car. I cant think of a decent drivers's car that isn't though.

If the car is doing little for you, I suggest that you sell it to someone who would value it more? Either that, or put on a plinth as static display only if its just the looks you appreciate?

Or if its mainly the F1 tech that bugs you, then maybe consider converting it to manual? Apparently its "easy"...some would say...

Bambino68 likes this.
  4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    well i totally disagree. i just drove my 612 oto after 2 years and its a very easy car to drive, doesnt drive as big as it looks. the sound is incredible and i can stream music from my iphone with a bovee 1000. i only have 67oo miles so no sticky stuff or dash imperfections. the car is friggin awesome.

rampante550, Makuono, donv and 3 others like this.
  5. montegoblue

montegoblue Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN
    Just came back from trip to NC mountains and odometer clicked 40k miles — one of the most reliable Ferraris I have had the good fortune to own. Agree with original post in the sense that if you compare it to modern cars it feels slow... My daily driver is an Image Unavailable, Please Login AMG GTR that I enjoy, 3 seconds to 60mph etc but almost feels soulless compared to my old faithful Scag. And yes she is looking better and better with age :)

rampante550, Makuono, TheCook and 2 others like this.
  6. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    Drove mine for about a 100 miles yesterday and loved it. Even took her to a BMW dealership and most of the salesmen came out to check the car out. Then I test drove the new Mc Laren GT and appreciated the feel and soul of my 612 even more. I have zero complaints not to mention that the car receives so much compliment. Looking better and better with age too.

7. montegoblue

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN
    Didn’t realize the new McLaren was out, will have to go check it out. Cool thing for me is that the 612 feels like a mix of old classic Ferrari V12 with some (Although now dated) modern conveniences like working AC :). The newer cars just feel too “digital” at times

8. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Johns930, everybody has their own opinions about what they enjoy driving and that is what makes the automotive hobby great—-there are so many choices. But I really dont understand why you think the 612 is so bad to drive and not worthy to commute in.

I have had my 612 for almost 5 years and initially it split the commute with my Mercedes. A couple of years ago I upgraded the Mercedes to a new S Class coupe. After a year I decided the new S Class was a waste of time and dumped it. The 612 is now my sole daily driver and I love it.

Now a Mercedes S Class is no slouch in terms of drivability (and gives the big coupes of all the other manufacturers a run for their money—most of which I have driven) but in my opinion the 612 beats them.

With respect to the F1, that is actually what sets the car apart as a daily driver—in a very good way. A manual is too much work to commute in. The dual clutch of the Mercedes and its brethren are certainly faster but also not engaging from a driver’s point of view. I always drive my 612 in manual mode and find it perfect for commuting in terms of being engaged but not overly taxed (but the automatic mode is a nice backup if I am on the phone or otherwise distracted).

FerrariTexas and Modena_2003 like this.
  9. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Strange opening post , I wasn't sure the point to spirituality, awake-ness has to do with a 612 rant. My take away was feeling sad for you and your conclusion especially in light of it sounding like you are finding "peace"? I bet you did have many good times in the car, I think we all have or will experience some problems.
    I enjoy my 612 oto for what it is , what it does, how it looks and feels regardless of some problems.

good luck

10. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I agree with a lot of what u said but personally I’d never drive my FF to commute instead of my s63 coupe. Yes the Ferrari is more special but the s63 is meant to do all that stuff: stop and go start, massaging seats; huge screens etc...on a commute to SF or MIA where it’s jam packed I don’t see the point of the f car. Can’t use the power anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I owned a 2007 612 HGTS with F1A for over 5 years, and just recently sold it. This was my 3rd Ferrari. It was serviced by Automotive International (Charlotte, NC) every year, and I never had a lick of trouble with that car, except for the seat heaters that turned on whenever they wanted to.

First off, you NEVER put F1A in AUTO mode; completely undrivable in that mode. Use the manual mode with paddle shifters and you're fine. The car is reasonably quick and the F1A, whilst not as fast as DCT, provides a far more connected experience IMO. Yes, it is large, but very agile for its size. Make sure you use the excellent proximity sensors when maneuvering in tight spots.

The sticky issue happened when the Ferrari was 10 years old. However, this is not unique to the 612 - all Ferraris of its era have this issue, sadly. There is one very serious problem with many 612s that involve leather on the front dash and back shelf. In Ferrari's selfish wisdom to cut costs, they did not provide enough leather to compensate for shrinkage in the Sun, which results in a very expensive fix. I agree this is totally inexcusable, but more of corporate Ferrari's fault than the model itself.

Although 2+2 models have never been great investments, I believe the 612s beautiful lines will endure and make the car coveted in the future. Most of the issues are endemic in other models as well.

I have spoken to many people at car events who lamented selling theirs, and rarely hear anyone state they were glad they did. Maybe I was lucky, but if you take the right precautions and have the car serviced by a top-flight service center, the car should provide many years of GT enjoyment. Ultimately, I wanted a more agile sports car; but, if I could have afforded both, I would never had sold my 612.

12. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Natkingcolebasket69, I often commute from Orange County to LA. I think that is every bit as bad as SF or MIA. A couple of weeks ago it took me three hours to get 60 miles during rush hour. A bit unusual but becoming more and more the norm. I preferred my 612 over my S Coupe for that commute but I will admit there are a lot of things that I never used in the S coupe such as massaging seats, heads up display or self driving. I also hate huge screens. Personally I like to be engaged in the drive even when I am commuting but for some a self driving Tesla would be the perfect commuter car.

So it all depends on what you are looking for in the driving experience.

Makuono, cgt000 and 599_GTO like this.
  13. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

That’s what I was about to say; it depends if u commute or drive. Then I understand ur point;)
    That being said the new version of autopilot in the s coupe does 90% of what the Tesla does;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonH likes this.
  14. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    After 11 years with my 612 OTO (yes, bought new), I still love it. One of the best cars in the world.

Apparently your spiritual journey, or woke-ness, or whatever, doesn't include having a positive attitude. I would start working on this, personally. It's one of the most important things in life, and even if it doesn't get you points toward heaven (although it might), it certainly makes life more pleasant on earth.

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    if your attitude is after being woke with the spirit, then please leave me asleep! :D ;) just kidding, good to hear from you again and an update. maybe a little rough getting back into it it after time off, the car that is. :D

599_GTO likes this.
  16. montegoblue

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN
  17. Anthony James

Anthony James Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    @johns930 I really don't comprehend your reason for such a post.

But if your "recent years of being spiritual" some how makes you feel guilty of Ferrari ownership, and compelled to confess your sin with a post like an Act of Contrition, confession is heard 3:15-3:45PM on Saturday. I did it.

18. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Well, @johns930 used to be a very frequent poster here regarding his experiences with the 612 and other Ferraris so maybe this is him just reconnecting with the community after a long time. Also he lives in an Asian country where traffic just does not move in the same way as in the US or Europe. A 3 hour jam in LA is much better than rush hour moving traffic in developing Asia so I kind of understand why he does not like using the 612 on daily commutes for the tight overcrowded streets and parkings. The only thing that confounds me a bit is the comment that 612's F1 (especially in his OTO) is not better than a 430's unless he is comparing it to the one in the Scuderia (If my memory serves me right he did own a Scuderia, a 599HGTE and a 599GTO at some point and maybe he is comparing the OTO to those cars).

19. rquad

rquad Karting

Jul 26, 2019
    Georgia
    Not buying it. Who keeps a car they hate for 10 years? What car is so hard to sell you can't get rid of it in 10 years? What kind of spiritual journey/awakening makes you post hatred for a car and freely use foul language to do it? Somebody either hacked this guy's account, or he's been body-snatched.

Tim Riley likes this.
  20. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Carlos:

I see that you still have your car. We were discussing it back in 2017 when you were considering selling her. I love the interior on yours with the beige and black.

21. montegoblue

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN
    Thanks Peter ! Can’t get rid of her :) , drove her 300 miles this weekend and did not miss a beat.

22. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

does the OTO shift as fast as the scud and GTO?

23. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    No, 100 ms for the OTO and 599 vs 60 ms for the Scud/16M and 599 GTO. 85 ms for the 599 HGTE.

cgt000 and 24000rpm like this.
  24. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I have always appreciated the 612 and I'm glad to see such enthusiasm for it. The 365 GTC4 took decades to find a following.

Makuono likes this.