Battery replacement | FerrariChat

Battery replacement

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Vincent Scudiero, Oct 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vincent Scudiero

Apr 28, 2019
    Marceline, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Vincent Scudiero
    Hi
    I need to replace the battery in our 2011 California.

Need some instructions on removing air inlet tubes and clamps.
    Do I need to keep the car “alive” with a battery charger?

What process do I need to know so I don’t damage the computer and other components.

Hope someone will help in instructions for this job.

Thanks

2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You do not need to put ypur car on the charger, in fact it is ill advised to do so when messing with the electronicts. They are very sensitive. Just disconnect your battery, install and connect the new one, and follow the procedure in your owners manual. It's all there and very simple.

Good luck

3. Vincent Scudiero

Apr 28, 2019
    Marceline, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Vincent Scudiero
  4. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Placing your car's 12V circuity on a battery tender that usually puts out 13-14V of current depending on ambient temperatures makes no sense at all as your car battery acts as a 12V protective filter for your car (besides supplying 12V current). You will likely destroy many circuits if you hook up 13-14V power to a circuit that works on 12V. This is basic knowledge for any car mechanic.

Also, if you have a European or a HELE-equiped car you need to know how to reset the HELE system afterwards and those instructions are NOT in the owner's manual.

Don't work on your car if you have no relevant experience, skill or understanding of how your car's systems work - have it done by your dealer.

AD211 likes this.
  5. Vincent Scudiero

Apr 28, 2019
    Marceline, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Vincent Scudiero
    Thanks

just how do you know if it has the HELE system.
    My car does not shut down or restart at stops. But could it be shut off or just not equipped with it?

is there a button or something to turn it on and off.

we are 250 miles from a dealer. Really don’t want to tow it that far. And car battery is totally dead.

6. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    If your car has never exhibited stop-start function it likely doesn’t have HELE. Very few cars in North America has it. However I assume you bought it used so the best way to check is to locate the original dealer and ask them to confirm using the VIN. Ask them for advice on battery but don’t do it yourself because it looks like you haven’t changed a battery yourself before. This is not a good car to experiment with.

You should always know what you are buying or what you own. You should have the paperwork for your car.

7. tonyswfla

tonyswfla Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2007
    Florida
    There is a dealer in Tampa, where you are.

8. Vincent Scudiero

Apr 28, 2019
    Marceline, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Vincent Scudiero
    Thanks for all the help.
    We have been building and repairing old cars for years. This is a new venture for us.
    This is our first Ferrari, wish I was able to know more about it.

Thanks again

9. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Good luck but be aware this is not an "old car", at least in terms of technology.

The Cali was the first of a big jump in terms of software and hardware technology even from the preceding Ferrari models. If you accidentally damage the car, both the Ferrari parts and dealer labour can be very painful to absorb. To repair Ferraris built in the last 15 years you need to own an expensive diagnostic computer. These are not cars you can cheaply and safely tinker with.