F8 vs 488 | FerrariChat

F8 vs 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Hendry2019, Oct 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Are you considering F8 or keeping 488/458

1. Definitely going for F8 and will never look back

32.0%
  2. Yes, but I have to test her first in order to decide

5.3%
  3. Yes, but will wait till I see her in the street and check the reviews

5.8%
  4. No, she is not in my Radar!

22.3%
  5. No, I am happy with what I have now. But maybe in the future, who knows?

36.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hendry2019

Hendry2019 Karting

Jan 2, 2019
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Hendry
    Hi Ferrari owners,
    just wanna hear your general feedback regarding F8 vs 488 because after my last post, I got some really positive feedback regarding my experience with F8 few days ago, but also received very negative replies based on my capabilities in comparing cars although they allowed me just two laps and no back to back comparison with my 488.

the point here is that maybe i should consider the general thoughts of F8 and 488 before posting anything. I just don’t want to create any tension here unintentionally especially this is my favorite forum.

you may add answers or comments if you wish to enrich this threat even if technical stuff will be an added value to all of us.

Regards,

p.s, if this has been posted before, then our admins kindly remove this thread.

2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    IMHO you should not pay too much attention to the answers you get, it's the internet and most (including myself, probably) do not carefully weight what they write.
    Regarding the F8, it has decided me to change my 488 - I considered the Pista but was deterred by the price, and thought I would just keep my 488.
    But getting the Pista's engine for a more sensible price was then an opportunity I could not miss.
    I am consistent with my choices of crappy cars: I preferred the 488 to a Speciale, and I prefer the F8 to a Pista (for different reasons, I still believe the 488 is superior to the Speciale, and I believe the F8 will actually be very similar to the Pista but at a significantly lower price - in both cases, prestige and rarity do nothing for me).
    ;)

Jordan68, Senna1994, MANDALAY and 4 others like this.
  3. Hendry2019

Hendry2019 Karting

Jan 2, 2019
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Hendry
    thank you for your valuable feedback, your kind words and advice.

Best regards

4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #4 Shadowfax, Oct 21, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    With Pista you are definitely getting more than just a Pista engine. I wouldn't let a few dollars stand in the way of getting a Pista over an F8 from what I'm seeing and hearing so far. The wallet should only decide so much....and the saving may quickly be eroded anyway. Driving mine back today back from up the coast served as another lesson in why some things really should not have a price put on them.

PS. Also with Pista I'm told now on a few occasions it can definitely be heard coming from a distance....and I'm talking not from the inside. If you can pick one up over msrp or even used i'd advise to take it, pay the extra - you won't look back. I see F8 (maybe) as some kind of a fall back but in reality it ain't never going to be no Pista.. and I think by a long shot.

Astrid.Didier and Caeruleus11 like this.
  5. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The tangible difference between the Pista and the F8 is 50 kg less for the Pista - the rest is rather cosmetic, and I prefer the steering wheel of the F8...
    I have no doubt the Pista is brilliant but I struggle to understand why the F8 should be objectively far away.

6. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    F8 is very similar to Pista. And yes cheaper. And yes not limited and yes higher depreciation. In the long run the F8 will cost you much lore than a Pista as Pista should retain value better.

But as far as the OP- F8 is better than 488 in every measurable way. Not that the 488 is some slouch- it’s not. It’s a great car- but f8 is faster, lighter, newer. Maybe not by much but still....

Hendry2019, Gh21631 and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    No worries. I understand, but "the struggle" is not necessary in this case. Pista is not just about a few kilos less and cosmetics and I very much doubt the steering wheel will amount to much either. If the decision between these two comes down to dollars deciding which is the more exciting to drive then that's a real pity. I am unable to help in that situation.

8. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Kindly advise on your personal driving experience with the Pista and F8.

9. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    They probably drive very similar. But I think what Shadow is saying is that it’s not about the drive- it’s the limited availability of the Pista compares to the F8. Its the aggressive styling, the carbon fiber, the stripes. They are identical but worlds apart.

10. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #10 Shadowfax, Oct 21, 2019
    I'm sure I will be offered a drive at one point, and as much as i'm sure F8 will prove a good car as was 488 I truly very much doubt it will deliver anywhere near the sensations and driver involvement that the Pista delivers. I can say that between the 488 the Pista is significantly noticeable on all measurable performance metric, not discounting 488 as a very capable car. I would refer it as being like stepping out of a TTs into a GT2RS. Both fast and capable cars but the driver involvement and step up in performance is borderline night and day. I'm not hearing that with F8 from those members here who have driven it and own 488.

Socal I think you will find it's a lot more than that but I will let you be the judge for yourself and will await your thoughts. I'd be very surprised to hear the differences are minor or hard felt, least of all hard heard. Pista is say like a Gt car vs a standard 911. Both good, just one a lot more thrilling to drive where it counts. I'm not sure if I could - or would want to - go back to a regular version 488 or F8 now. My go to cars now are Pista and 2rs (which are a blast) followed by 3rs and that's pretty well it for me at this stage in the game unless something else can convince me otherwise to part with the hard earned. These cars leave very big shoes to fill in the driver engagement and general excitement stakes. But of course to each their own.

11. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Issues of greater exclusivity, and aesthetics are obvious. Opinions of how the 2 cars perform requires personal driving experience. At this time, I unaware of anyone on this forum who has personally driven the Pista and the F8 and compared them. Yet, there has been a stream of posts claiming that the differences between the 488 and F8 are so insignificant as to be virtually indistinguishable while the salient and substantive improvements wrought by the Pista are indisputable.

It appears that current 488 owners, fearful of huge depreciation with the introduction of the F8 and those who are in possession of the Pista or are awaiting delivery, downplay the similaritires of their car with the F8 to justify the premium paid for their Pista. Without having experienced the F8 or the Pista, my thoughts and others in a similar position, on the actual driving differences between the 2 cars is of no value. Simply speculation at best, biased opinion at worst. What I am certain, is that that the 488, Pista and F8 will possess differing driving dynamics, capabilities and personalities, whether on the road or a track. Those differences may be subtle or not but they will exist. While some may be incapable of discerning or adequately articulating the distinction between them does not diminish or obviate this fact.

x z8, brookliner7, OSUferrari and 6 others like this.
  12. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Subjective preferences between car models is completely unrelated to the tangible differences inherent to their individual driving characteristics. The ongoing debate over the 458 and the 488 is illustrative of this phenomenon. While many prefer one over the other, the fact that is indisputable is that their driving dynamics are readily distinguishable. Being in the high end audio industry for many decades presents a similar analogy. There are those who claim all amplifiers, cables etc sound the same and for them, that is their reality. In fact, they do not. Many can perceive sonic differences between these components and for these individuals the differences are highly significant. Furthermore, even for those who can perceive sonic differences between components, a multitude of subjective preferences of one component over another is very prevalent. The same applies to high end cars.

bobw, MANDALAY, xfrgtr and 1 other person like this.
  13. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Comparing Car A to Car B.
    Owner Car A= "A>B"
    Owner Car B= "B>A"
    Owner Car A + B= "A+B>A," and "A+B>B" but "A=B"
    Now, here is the interesting part: A(A+B) X (2A-2B)/A(A+B)-B(A+B) = 0
    I just know there is some deeper truth in there, somewhere.
    :)

14. Hendry2019

Hendry2019 Karting

Jan 2, 2019
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Hendry
    may i ask you what F car you have currently?

i really don’t understand your negativity in some of your posts!

my guessing is you dont have F car. But maybe I’m wrong!

15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona

I know of one person who has driven both the 488 and the F8 and it’s the OP and according to him- there was a very little difference.

Oh and I’m one of those that has a Pista incoming and I’ll happily admit that the f8 is very similar to Pista as it’s virtually the same machine with the exception of GPF on the f8 and a few other tweaks.

So while the cars may drive very similar, not a single Pista owner would rather spend less money to ny buy a similar car. Not one!

It’s not that they drive the same as performance between the two is likely similar- don’t know as I haven’t driven either but I’m assuming they are similar. Has nothing to do with driving but it’s the exclusivity of one over the other. F8 I’m sure is a fantastic car and I’m sure drives great. But I’d rather pay 150k more and get a Pista for the “same” car.

If you can’t understand why, I’m not sure myself or anyone else can explain it.

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Where's owner C? Three cars in play here:D

Shadowfax likes this.
  17. Hendry2019

Hendry2019 Karting

Jan 2, 2019
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Hendry
    sorry but this not true. Check the threads here and see how many Ferrari owners criticize the model they have especially NA engine 458 vs 488 debates
    Also keep in mind and especially with F car owners tend to have a strong bond with their ride. And this something you cannot see in other competitors in the market.

history, brand name, performance, and many other things that make Ferrari a special car

So, dont blame the owners if they favor their F cars. This is something you only can feel when you go home and see her in your garage ;)

Shadowfax likes this.
  18. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #18 Shadowfax, Oct 21, 2019
    Ok to better explain. 488 and Pista are both 488's as is F8. Driving Pista and 488 they are both 488's but the differences in driving experiences is like stepping out of a 911t into a Gt2rs - which are also both 911's. It appears the level of difference between 488 and F8 is nowhere near the same level as Pista based upon recent member experiences - which I have no reason to disbelieve as they have video evidence as well! These now two separate members, latest one saying he spent 2 hours in it has drawn the same conclusion as Hendry2019, except the latest member thought the experience was somewhat dull and soul less as well. Listening to his particular vid I could barely even hear the F8 until it was on top of the mic - before and after the car sounded pretty silent. Maybe it was just the vid or the Mic? Or just maybe his criticism was 100% legit?

I don't expect much difference in acceleration between Pista an F8 but again there is a whole lot more to measuring performance than just the hp factor. I didn't bring exclusivity or stripes into my 488 vs Pista comparison as I didn't see those things as warranting any mention. Maybe they matter to some folks more than the actual differences in how the cars drive? Bit like being in the latest shiny new thing vs the existing car which is so close nobody can really tell much between them except one has more sound inside and the other you can at least hear coming.

Not sure why Coincid refuses to accept the answers to his own questions - and now the other member trying to draw conclusions from an AB chart - both just want to believe what they want to believe no matter what is put up - which is fine by me - the behavior no surprise considering their constant criticism directed at 488 along the way.

19. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I was test driving 488s when I was offered an F8 allocation. The chance to spec my own car was too much to pass up on, plus get the Pista engine. If I were offered a Pista allocation, I’d do that..but I wasn’t;-) I like them all....

20. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    You need to lighten up dude. ;)

Hendry2019 likes this.
  21. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

How does the Performante compare to the Evo? Same motor, upgraded interior and electronics. Pretty much the same body as the original Huracan. Which do you prefer? The harder more special version or the newer more common model.

22. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Makes sense. If I didn't have a 488 i'd also spec an F8 or pick up a used 488 to tie over until your build gets called....depending upon how long that is likely to be. Also there are a lot of other really good cars for a lot less money available at the moment. The market really has taken quite a turn on all these highly priced new cars to where they can be had for a considerable saving - and I'm talking cars with virtually no mileage on them at all.

23. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    You have presented a perfect analogy. Without having experience driving the F8 or Pista, I would suggest that the 488 is the 610-4, the F8 is the EVO and the Pista is the Performante. My priorities and preferences are more aligned with the Performante and I expect the Pista. My contention is that the driving dynamics of all the above mentioned cars are quite different from one another and readily discernible.

24. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Coincid's on his 2nd Performante and has admitted new Evo AWD sales at least in North America are sluggish, chiefly because a new Evo costs more, sometimes significantly, than a gently used Performante.

Not apples-to-apples because a new F8 is going to be cheaper, sometimes by a significant amount, than a gently used Pista.

25. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Money aside, which would you prefer?