Anyone here consider the mp4-12c? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Anyone here consider the mp4-12c?

Discussion in '360/430' started by carbonm, Jun 7, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Your comparing a car with a 16 year gap in technology. They are not even in the same class. The 360 has minimal tech if that. I don't know if you can even call it tech. Basic on or off or traction control and that's about it. Almost no electric nannies, where the Mac has a computer controlling every function the car performs.

A 12c can only be compared to a 458. Something in the same build generation. I've driven a 650S. It's one of the most boring cars in the world around town. Definitely comfortable, tame and quiet compared to any Ferrari. The 650 only comes alive above triple digits or on a track. The sound is not all that impressive from a car with 600+ hp. I think every modern Mac will run circles around most of the new Ferrari's but they just don't have the soul and character that Ferrari's have. Not to say that one is better or worse. It's about the experience your looking for. The excitement factor plays out a lot sooner in the Ferrari. From light to light, the car has an attitude and temperament. From it's jerky shifting to it's whining exhaust, it puts a smile on your face even at low speeds.

2. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I wonder how much of this "soul" we always talk about here is because of the sound. Seems like it's a pretty big part and that this new turbo era will reduce the "soul" factor of newer cars.

As an extreme example, I was at Laguna a couple of weeks ago and they had an electric vehicle day. I know that the cars were going fast but they were nearly silent. Just wasn't the same. Didn't stir the emotions the same way as good 'ol combustion.

3. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Sound is very important to most. Being able to feel the engine power/vibrations through your body is another. A rush of torque is different from feeling the inner mechanics of the engine through vibration. The car speaks to you in a way you should be able to drive it properly without even glancing at the gauges.

4. 1mean3

1mean3 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2012
    #54 1mean3, Jun 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
    Chris Harris's summation on this boring car. The optional sport exhaust does make it sound a lot better. These cars will never sound like a NA Ferrari but they do sound great under throttle. When this car is screaming its likely you will be too.

The software upgrades that have been done since 2014 allow you to shake it loose when you want to. You do have to be in the Sport or Track handling mode to get jiggy

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5mKB-8WUB5k

5. rob4092xx

rob4092xx Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    #55 rob4092xx, Jun 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  6. rob4092xx

rob4092xx Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    #57 rob4092xx, Jun 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    Probably. One of my buddies batteries died in his and it was $3400 with labor.. Terrible

8. carbonm

carbonm Karting

Mar 13, 2016
    Can't you just use a reg replacement? Thats insane.

9. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
  10. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    That battery cost alone tells me NO, regardless of any refinement and performance advantage. Plus the technology would keep me awake at night worried what else can go wrong and require a mortgage to fix.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  11. carbonm

carbonm Karting

Mar 13, 2016
    Just put in a pepoys battery it will be all good. 😬

12. 1mean3

1mean3 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2012
    Yes, Lithium-Ion batteries are very expensive. They claim dramatically longer life, physical durability, shorter recovery/recharge time, and ultra-low weight. They appear to be used in most all race series cars including F1, 24hr Le Mans, and Indy

If it was an option box I wouldn't have checked it as they cost 4-5 times equivalent batteries.

The McLaren lithium-Ion battery is dealer quoted at $2340.00. A Braille Lithium-Ion battery lists at $2100.00. or $1999.99 at JEGS. Its the cost of the technology, not McLaren.

13. forza4me

forza4me Rookie

Jan 11, 2007
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    this aged pretty dang well I'll say...

14. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Oh snap.. I didn't even remember that post... should have bet money on it! Funny thing is now that they're $80k I have no interest..

Dewinator, Robb and forza4me like this.
  15. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    I love all McLarens... gorgeous cars in every way. My buddy in Dallas just picked up 2012 12 C for a great price. Volcano orange. Gorgeous. The only reason I just got a 2007 F4 30 spider instead, was the lack of independent McLaren techs in South Florida scared me. I’ve heard that the dealer network for these cars is horrible.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Got to experience an f-chatters. Fastest thing I can imagine... flattest g cornering ever. Braking like retro rockets. Loved it.

Only reason I would not get one is I cannot afford failure on any components... ever.

I’ll stick with the F-cars.

Robb

17. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    The battery thing is ridiculous. It is Li-on. It isn't as lite as I thought it would be. It is $3K from the dealer. McLaren actually has you on the hook because their battery has an extra connection. I did acquire an old Mac battery and having it reverse engineered. The estimate is I should be able to supply them for $1K.

At the end of the day and 30+ years with Ferrari, McLaren are making some incredible cars. With my 570 there is virtually nothing I can't run away from either on the road or track.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I'm 360 Canuck and rob73 like this.
  18. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    That's part of why I have no interest in owning one, despite how incredibly amazing a car that they are. It's reputation precedes it in the internet age...

Is there an "adaptor" that can be made to use a cheaper Li-on battery? Kind of a "plate' that can be bolted to the two normal connections and output to the third is managed by circuitry in the adaptor?

19. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    So many stories of INSANE repair bills... its a technical marvel but with only a couple minor issues you could surpass your purchase price in repairs. 100k in repairs for mechanical components is not unheard of. The 540C is close in price to the MP4-12 and whilst down 60-70hp it has mechanical suspension instead of the overly complex hydraulic system

20. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    I wonder if this is just internet hearsay unless evidenced please

21. houtie123

houtie123 Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2007
    Cape Town, RSA
    Full Name:
    Andrew

I was going for a 570 to replace my 430 but this review of mclaren products in general influenced me somewhat.
    Repairs costs a major factor

22. maxhubris

maxhubris Rookie

Dec 18, 2015
    I love both for different reasons.

I say dont get caught up with what others say, do your own research and if it makes you happy pull the trigger and dont look back...

23. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
  24. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    The Internet is full of hyperbole, some of it massively exaggerated and some plain wrong.

The 12C is an excellent car, its very very rapid car and overall well engineered and wonderful to own now, especially at current prices. Absolutely nothing gets close price wise. An exceptional first entry to the market. I think with light remapping to 700hp you can see off even a 488. With upgraded turbos your dipping under 10 seconds for standing quarter. That's quick indeed. It's very surprising how fast in the real world this makes it. Its also aged very well, everything except the Iris touch screen which is horrid!

I've owned my 12C for nearly a year now and even I let my friend borrow it for a driving holiday and he took it to the Nurburgring and also did Spa in it. Did several thousand miles in it before handing it back. I then took it on a road trip. All without missing a beat... For track duties they are hard to beat. For everyday supercar driving it also ticks that box too, easy to live with and easy to drive too but isn't not a Ferrari, it's just different which I quite like. They complement each other well. It feels like a grown up supercar. Maybe too polished infact.

The 12C no doubt does have some quirks but almost all are known about now and you can work around many of them without resorting to YouTube fame about it eating your kids college fund in one sitting. Yes they are a bunch of me too on social media. Don't believe all the hype.

Actually My biggest gripes go to McLaren Automotive company themselves and their related control freakery. Its hurt residuals and they need to address it. Mclaren just try to restrict repair information way too much and the cars therefore have to be kept within main dealer network which obviously makes repair of common faults much harder and much more expensive than it should be. They also need to be much more sensible about buy back prices for upgrades within the dealer network. And align spare prices to Ferrari price range, not x3.

Mclaren did some really silly stuff like restricted paint codes so you cannot even buy touch up paint without going to a McLaren approved bodyshop. Same with independent garages, they've locked down the diagnostics too so only main dealers can service the cars. All of this makes prices to fix ridiculous because knowledge doesn't build up outside of mclaren. And also main dealers won't repair expensive parts, they will just replace them.

An example of a common failure is the door module which has a cheap electrical connector on which wasn't bolted or glued to the board. The wires are heavy and they move when you slam the doors so it clean rips off over time so the switch pack failures are common place. Mclaren dealer answer is several thousand in repairs, my answer was $100 to repair it and then fix the actual design issue itself by bonding the connector to the board with a much more sturdy approach. I'm sure mine won't fail again.

Also very silly things like battery going flat and then breaking a window due to lack of flex in window and rubber seal design. On 360 if your battery goes flat you don't worry about breaking a side window getting in!

A lot of these little niggles are actually similar on the 360 and F430s (different niggles ofcourse but equally they would be mclaren reputation expensive to keep fixed if they had to be repaired at a main dealer).

Overall I plan to keep the 12C, I think they will appreciate significantly in the future being Mclaren's automotives first brand launch car. In the mean time they are just insane fun as long as you get a warranty or find someone as technical as the car to help you look after it.

Manda racing, imahorse and Robb like this.