winter storage | FerrariChat

winter storage

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by c8spidey, Oct 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    I've always stored my cars with covers on in my heated garage with tires over inflated,and a fuel additive .
    I've read that some do not recommend covering their cars.

I welcome any other opinions on winter storage.

2. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I don't cover my cars in storage due to location. Home in the woods, state forest across the street. Mouse damage a real threat!
    Want to see and check on a regular basis.
    Mice did $6k damage to my wife's covered Lexus some years ago. Ate the carpets and nested in the transmission tunnel in my early 930 years ago as well!

3. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I had a mouse crawl up the side of my car cover and eat his way through into the car. Only ate the cabin air filter (I got lucky). Bought one of these, no problems since:
    https://www.carbag.com/carjacket/

4. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Cover or no cover, I would place a desiccant in the car (unless you live in the desert :)).

I'm 360 Canuck and daytona355 like this.
  5. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    Thanks-i do surround the car with mouse traps and had no problem with rodents

6. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    Thanks I will get a dessicant and have cracked the window a bit in the past to prevent any condensation.

7. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    Interesting idea but even though my garage is heated I'm not confident that basically sealing the car in a bag wouldn't result in some moisture creeping in

8. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I store in a heated garage with car covers. The one that came with the car covered by a waterproof breatheable cover.

Fabric softener sheets that you for your clothes dryer keep rodents away and the car smells good.

I crack the back window of my 458 spider to keep film from building up on the inside of the windows.

Fill the car with gas and plug in the battery maintainer that came with the car.

Never have put extra air in the tires. Never had any flat spotting.

Best

9. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Have very aggressive mice! Tried fabric softener sheets, mothballs, bobcat urine(yes there is a product) etc. All failed!
    Victor mousetraps are best in my experience.

Jasonberkeley likes this.
  10. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    I like hanging out in the garage during the winter and looking at / dinking around with the cars. Detailing little things, or fixing small things that need to be addressed that I never got around to during the summer. Lots of mice by me, but have managed to seal-up the garage and eradicate what was in there when I bought the house. A lit match helps to find drafts and possible entry points, but mouse poison and the classic Victor traps work best to eradicate and then maintain. Stuff entry points with steel wool, then spray foam. For the new garage addition we used closed-cell spray-on insulation which is supposed to be critter-proof.

My garage is heated and dehumidified, so not worried about the moisture. I think the issue of covering (other than mice) is dust. If you wash the car and put the cover on immediately for the duration of the winter without pulling it off, should be no issue. If your going to have it on and off and leave it off for a few days to do stuff and enjoy looking at the cars, then they get dusty, putting the car cover back on could lead to micro-scratches as you move the dust around while putting the cover back on (unless you wash it again). I know its a bit OCD, but I guess it depends on how crazy you get over the finish of your paint, and what color the car is (darker colors really seem to highlight the micro-scratches).

Bottom line is I dont think there is a right or wrong answer. It depends on your situation.

INTMD8 likes this.
  11. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    The Car Jacket I mentioned comes with 10 lbs of silicon desiccant.

On the mice issue: I have 4 levels of protection in addition to the car covers:
    1. Poison pellets
    2. Dryer sheets in the car
    3. Mouse spray (stinks)
    4. A rodent service

12. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    My Porsche always got flat spots before I started over-inflating my tires-so I'll probably do it on my 488 spider.Thanks though for the dryer sheets tip for mouse avoidance

13. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    Just curious
    Where do you live that you have to store your car and not drive it in the winter months?

14. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I would say anywhere North of the 40th. Parallel.............about 1/2 of the US.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  15. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    His info shows Westchester County, NY. Just north of NYC. We get plenty of snow and lots of salt on the roads once first snow hits.

16. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Isn't winter when people send cars off for service? ;)

17. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I stored the 458 Spider today for the winter.

Took a great drive. Beautiful sunny day in the 50s.

18. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Hi Phil, you need to move to Junction we can drive all year :cool::)

19. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    Ok
    But to be honest Ferrari’s love cold weather these cars generate more heat than Chernobyl
    I drive mine year round
    Now I live in the Atlanta area, we get cold weather and every so often some snow
    But I am about to leave next week for NJ,NH,Pa and surrounding states on a 2 week trip in the 575M( it has 33k on it bought it may of this year with 26k) , yep it might snow a little
    But I can tell you the modern day cars are well equipped to handle it
    When I owned my 1984 308GTB I was in Raleigh during an ice storm! Snow, sleet you get the idea
    Made it home alive, it’s a mid engine car well balanced, that’s why you bought it right?
    I put 118k on that 1984 car and it never missed a beat, wish I would have kept it, but that’s another story
    The window defogger sucked but that was about it
    Now I am not saying be a ice rally champion, but trust me a cold clear day in the northeast is nirvana for a Ferrari!
    I also own a 1993 512 TR with 109k on it driven, to Montreal in the fall months and New England as well.
    And that car doesn’t have any ABS or traction control.
    Ferrari’s are all weather cars
    But storing the car, is hurting the car
    Too each there own
    Until then

daytona355 likes this.
  20. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    or us cool, manly men, roll up our sleeves and pretend to be more competent than we are and do it ourselves ;) great time to send out parts or order them.

I can go either way with the cover. I suppose it would accumulate less dust, but I often need access to it in the off season for small maintenance tasks, and I’ll wash it in the spring anyway.

I keep my car on a hoist all winter, garage isn’t heated but temperatures are moderate as it’s attached to my house, so never goes below freezing. Car sits on foam pads, stabilized fuel, battery mantainer, desiccant, not much else. I could get it up and running again in a few minutes, as all secret agents, should.

No mouse problem in the garage, but this fall one of the little devils crawled through a vent pipe into my furnace and prevented it from working.

imahorse, daytona355 and fire_n_ice like this.
  21. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    I live in Westchester county just north of NYC-roads too covered with salt and sand during the winter

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  22. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Snowing right now. 3-5 inches expected. Then they put magnesium chloride on the roads. Low temp -2F on Wednesday.

Been storing Fcars for 19 years in the winter. No problems yet.

23. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Lou , F this storage thing and move to Florida. We need you here. Best , Kirk.

BOKE likes this.
  24. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    Best solution to date-

Cigarzman and daytona355 like this.
  25. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Too hot. And l doubt if Ferrari of Denver would pick up and deliver for service. There are several Fcars in Aspen. They are here regularly.