458 and 488 price parity... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

458 and 488 price parity...

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dann0, Oct 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    wow this is really turning into another 458 stroke fest thread :)

Dicecal, Shadowfax, Viperjoe and 2 others like this.
  2. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    458 every time.

there's just something magical about it.

Graz likes this.
  3. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I have a feeling this thread is going to start to turn ugly... :D

IloveGT likes this.
  4. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Lol
    Next up some foolish comment about Tesla’s not selling well or EV’s are the devil.

just drive!

5. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    ....and then another depreciation string of posts....:)

IloveGT likes this.
  6. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Just to stir people up more a little bit - if 458 and 488 end up at the same price, how does it make sense for the Pista to be priced more than the Speciale medium / long term?
    That's a real question, why would there be eventually more difference between the 488 and Pista than between the 458 and Speciale? (today the Pista is much more expensive than the Speciale, but it's virtually new - the question is for when it will be considered as used car)

7. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I don't know about the ultimate price delta between the Speciale and the Pista, but the difference between the 488 and the Pista is more profound than the Italia to the Speciale. Having had all of the "base" cars and then all of the LE cars, the Pista is to the 488 more like what the Scud was to the F430, or even the CS to the 360. The Speciale felt like less of a change vs the 458, an endorsement of the 458.

Bundy and johnr265 like this.
  8. cab2u

cab2u Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    NYC
    My thoughts. I am in the market for a 458 spider. Now, 2016 488 coupes are around the same price as many of the 458 spiders. I just don't think that 458's will continue at those levels especially after the F8's start to hit the streets. Do you really think 458's will trade for more than 488's for the next 5 years? I don't. New cars will always sell for more in the long run.

Shadowfax and Viperjoe like this.
  9. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I think you are right here !

Viperjoe likes this.
  10. veilstylez

veilstylez Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    You really need to drive both and see what kind of cars you like. Driving both will allow you to figure yourself out(learn about yourself) and get to know what you like about cars, what you need in a Ferrari, and whats important in a Ferrari for you or even if a Ferrari is right for you. Like Ray says, you need to really experience both cars, like women. Both are similar yet so very different. Drive them! Renting them is a good idea actually.

11. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    lol why I haven't chimed in, you may note many of the same vocal few waxing poetic on the 458 (which is a fantastic car)

There are many 488 owners happily enjoying their cars regardless of market price/"value" including myself, and who chose it over the 458 (including myself) or upgraded from 458

Value/depreciation/monetary related aspects to a car purchase are thrown out the window for me as I'd be better off giving the 300k+ to my brokerage if that were the case, and noting that life can be too short where such related aspirations or hopes may never materialize

If you truly prefer the 458 to 488 I'd say go 458, and vice versa if you enjoy 488 more than 458 (but concerned about depreciation or value or anything of the sort or what the "majority" may prefer) I'd still suggest you go for 488. Drive both, back to back if you can, and go with what tugs at your heartstrings, it's why we buy these things and why I haven't paid 1 second of attention to deprecation or value of my car. My only concern and joy is seeing the odometer increase

NuorderSG, Bundy, Graz and 2 others like this.
  12. dann0

dann0 Karting

May 7, 2010
    Agreed, and I will drive both. Cant get around the fact though that I know whenever I step into my basement and see the 458 I would get the "fizz" every time, and way more than looking at the 488. Superficial yes, but all mechanicals aside, I just love the look of the 458. the choice was never in question until 488's started to hit 458 prices... or at least in the ballpark.

veilstylez likes this.
  13. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Good luck :) hope you find your 300 k 458 Italia.

14. Golattus

Golattus Karting
    BANNED

Dec 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    JN
    488 prices are heading fast towards 458, not on the contrary; 458’s prices are not rising, they are steady on current levels. Same happened with Porsche 996 vs 993... at that time looked impossible as 996 was better, faster, newer, more reliable, but...

When F8 was born so early after 488 release, the latter became in no mans land... above, the F8 and below a change of era with 458.

Hire both and Buy the one that makes your heart beat faster. Both are gorgeous!!!!

Melvok likes this.
  15. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Most threads tend to wind up talking about depreciation and which is the better value which generally signifies the thread has run its course.

16. Hypek9

Hypek9 Karting

Apr 9, 2012
    Australia
  17. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Agreed.

But on the other way it is a nice discussion: who would have believed 2 years ago that shortly a 488 will be sold at same prices of a 458 ?

18. dann0

dann0 Karting

May 7, 2010
    For clarity i had said $350k. Understand there's SD on top of that etc. So realistic that it will head towards 400k for a decent one on road.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

19. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Yup. And it isn't getting better. F8 will be the same.

If you're paying 300 for that it's top dollar on today's scale. For this one I'd go in at least 10 to 20 lower drive away.

If you're paying 400 on road then you've paid way over unless it's a 2018 with virtually no Ks and very heavily optioned.

20. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Several said. F8 only sped it up.

Melvok likes this.
  21. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    Owned the pinnacle of the 458 run, the lovely Speciale. Owned a "base" 488; I preferred the 488. I know I'm in the minority with this opinion, but there it is. I confessed before that I am a boost lover, and if ever that was clear to me, it was in the difference between the these two cars. You simply gotta drive them both with an open heart and mind, and then pick the one that makes YOU happy.

Bundy, johnr265, Dicecal and 2 others like this.
  22. Hypek9

Hypek9 Karting

Apr 9, 2012
    Australia
    I would like to know where you are getting this info? Do you know the sales prices of these cars moving?

23. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    From my inside source who sells. 458 and 488 are way way down. Not surprising really. One only need look at the numbers of cars for sale, what the competition is asking and, the weak market conditions. It's a buyer market.

24. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Add stamp duty $350,000
    How many kms ? Owners ?
    First car in the series
    No warranty
    No free service
    Condition ?

25. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Definitely without a doubt a buyers market but those who have to desperately have to sell their car

I’m seeing states have also a bearing

Great time to find the car that you want and negotiate.

I can see them coming down more on the private sales but less so in the dealership

But with the crash next year all these cars will become victims with the standard cars coming down the most

Melvok and Shadowfax like this.