Cali T MCSF light | FerrariChat

Cali T MCSF light

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by PROV, Oct 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PROV

PROV Rookie

Oct 30, 2019
    Middlesbrough, UK
    Hi all

New to the forum and Ferrari ownership.

I took delivery 3 weeks ago of an early 2015 California T, with 7k miles on.

3 weeks later I have the Motor Control System Failure light on. The car runs fine and is not rev limited. Anyone else had similar and what was it if so?

I bought from a Ferrari main dealer with 2 year warranty so hopefully should be covered. I'm based in the UK by the way.

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Something like this?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Can be a lot of things - bad battery, fuel evap system, etc. Get it dealer asap and let them sort it out. It's a good sign that is not in limp mode.

T

3. PROV

PROV Rookie

Oct 30, 2019
    Middlesbrough, UK
    Hi Tomc, yes exactly that.

Interesting you mention the fuel evap system. The only warranty work it has had since new was on that system (the leak detection pump and the carbon cannister IIRC)..

4. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    The evap system issue seems to pop up frequently. Had you gassed up the car recently before the message?
    T

5. convertaero

convertaero Rookie

Mar 28, 2008
    Just had the same fault come up on mine on Monday a California T 2016 with 15K miles. I am in the UK too.
    Like you no loss of power running fine.
    Put the battery on charge with a proper charger rather than the Ferrari one which I use all the time.
    Tried after battery fully recharged still came up the same. Though surprised when looking at voltmeter when engine running 14v - 15v.
    Contacted the dealer and they said better not drive it here, so they are sending Ferrari assist to pick it up this morning and take it to the dealer.

Will post an update when the problem is resolved.

6. PROV

PROV Rookie

Oct 30, 2019
    Middlesbrough, UK
    Not really that soon before... tank was about half full. I will also update

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

7. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Do not ever overfill your gas tank.

Stop filling as soon as the pump stops filling. Do not attempt to second-guess and top up your tank. Excess gasoline will enter the EVAP system. Doing so often compromises the EVAP system because it is a smog prevention (nanny) system and create a CEL forcing the driver to investigate. It can ruin the charcoal canister and result in repairs. Gas (fumes) is classed as an environmental pollutant.

If you get a CEL or something similar to the OP’s fault warning, open the refilling flap and before touching the gas cap, smell around the refueling port. If you smell gas you may have a gas leak. Adjust the cap to make sure it is tight. Check using a OBD2 reader for a P0455 code which indicates a major EVAP leak. If you fixed the leak you can clear the code. A CEL can cause your car to reduce performance so it needs to be properly attended to.

whatheheck and tomc like this.
  8. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Voltage on mine when running also shows at around 14.4, so I wouldn’t get excited about that really.. the ECU light is wierd though, let us know what happens, and best of luck, hopefully it’s a £5 note in the pocket of the techie to wipe the code!

9. PROV

PROV Rookie

Oct 30, 2019
    Middlesbrough, UK
    I'd like to be able to give you an update however I dont have one.. ! Day 3 and counting

10. PROV

PROV Rookie

Oct 30, 2019
    Middlesbrough, UK
    Ok so it is indeed the EVAP system. It has previously had an issue with this system so Ferrari have given them full instructions of further bits to change to try and prevent this happening again. Should be ready late next week

11. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Sounds like it is on the minor end of things that could have been wrong. Best of luck.
    T

PROV likes this.
  12. PROV

PROV Rookie

Oct 30, 2019
    Middlesbrough, UK
    Got it back all spic and span. Hopefully the light will stay off now..

tomc likes this.
  13. convertaero

convertaero Rookie

Mar 28, 2008
    Problem solved also EVAP system leak and water in the canister.
    The dealer contacted Ferrari withe the error codes etc and Ferrari's instruction was to change all components in the EVAP system. This was done picked car up today drove it home everything ok. Hopefully thats it now and no further trouble.

whatheheck likes this.
  14. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Great. Hopefully 2 happy endings and now for more driving and less worrying! Now post up some pics of your Calis!!
    T

15. PROV

PROV Rookie

Oct 30, 2019
    Middlesbrough, UK
    Thread resurrection here..
    MCSF light came on again Sunday (ironically as I started the car to leave an Italian car and bike day event!).
    Anyway, same light, same behaviour (ie no restrcition on revs etc..). Car was recovered to dealer. Initial contact they are saying its not the same issue (though not sure if they mean EVAP system or just a different part of the EVAP system..