Low profile floor jack | FerrariChat

Low profile floor jack

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by pdxjim488, Nov 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pdxjim488

pdxjim488 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2018
    Would like to get rid of my old Craftsman, two ton jack that does not fit under my car. Any suggestions a non-Chinese type that works on our cars?

2. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    FordGTDriver likes this.
  3. fboutlaw

fboutlaw Karting

Dec 3, 2014
    Woodside, CA
    I use the ac hydraulic dk20q. Its pricey but is a very solid steel jack.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Jaguar36 likes this.
  4. Rdwaggie

Rdwaggie Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2018
  5. docster

docster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 14, 2004
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    David
    I've gotten low-profile jacks from Costco in the past that worked fine on my 360 (which was lowered a bit) and my F430 (which was stock ride height). Haven't tried it on the 488, but assume there won't be a problem. Don't know about country of origin, but seem to be of decent quality, wherever they're from.

6. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    Pretty hard to find one that is not made you-know-where. This is a rare cases where I would actually recommend going to Harbor Freight. They have a very low profile, long reach floor jack that works nicely on the 458/488 jack points. See post #2 for an image. They come in various colors. (For readers outside of the U.S., Harbor Freight is a store we have over here that sells tools that many see as purely disposable). While a lot of the stuff is of questionable quality, some of their products are really handy. The Daytona line of floor jacks are one such example.

I use a hockey puck as a soft lifting pad, and the whole assembly clears with ease. It is most certainly made in China, however.

FPFaeth and pdxjim488 like this.
  7. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Checked the site out earlier and they also sell a yellow one for more than the orange. I guess the point is different colors seem to indicate different specs and different models not just paint.

FordGTDriver and pdxjim488 like this.
  8. OldDog

OldDog Karting

Nov 2, 2017
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    JJ
    I would not get under a car without jack stands or some other support, so I am not worried about having a cheap jack. Harbor freight does nicely. But keep the Craftsman as these low profile jacks have a limited lift and you may need to boost the vehicle higher once you get it off of the ground.

Need4Spd and pdxjim488 like this.
  9. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    +1
    I love my AChydraulic jack. It not only is extremely well built, but also has a huge range of motion making it super easy to lift the car up to a comfortable working height.

For a 458 I think the dk20q is overkill though, the DK13HLQ should be plenty.

10. pdxjim488

pdxjim488 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2018
  11. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Harbor freight 2.5 ton aluminum jack is great for mobile use. The long reach steel low profile jack is probably the best option, but don't get it if you plan on moving it from garage to garage, or toting it along in the car, that sucker is HEAVY.

12. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    quickjacks are great, but we use these for the cars without airjacks. http://www.brunnhoelzl.com/low_profile_jacks.html

I have a set of the quickjacks at home, and the only downside is their weight, but they have 2 small wheels to roll. Highly recommed buying them on sale at costco, ~900.00

pdxjim488 likes this.
  13. pdxjim488

pdxjim488 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2018
    So got my dk20q. Wondering where the underbody jack points are. I DID look through the entire owner's manual and saw nothing. Wanted to confirm with the experts the right spot. TIA!