Funniest/Stupidest comments you have received about your Ferrari | Page 107 | FerrariChat

Funniest/Stupidest comments you have received about your Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by carguy98, Jul 1, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Me: Enjoying a drive listening to the glorious sound of the flat-crank V8. Stopped at traffic light.

Dude in pickup: Pulls up on my right. Leans head out window. “Is that an original Mustang?”

Me: Speechless. “Umm. No.”

Dude in pickup: “Well. It is a good looking car, anyway.”

Me: “Thanks.”

PhilNotHill likes this.
  2. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    :eek: It really does seem so funny that the American icon pony car can be confused for anything else by another American. I am not trying to belittle any Ferrari but really confusing one for a Mustang in America? The badge also confused with a Porsche logo because they both have a horse.
    Those damn horse themed logos :p:D

3. mswiek

mswiek Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    I get tired of people asking me how many horsepower my 550 Maranello has, or what its top speed is. Inevitably, they then counter with stats from a more contemporary car which are higher and faster. They can't seem to understand or accept that automotive beauty and driving pleasure is more than those two parameters. Soooo, a while back at a cars & coffee gathering when one guy asked me for the horsepower rating, I hemmed and hawed a bit, noted it depends on how it is measured and who is doing the measuring, and then added that the consensus seems to be right around, or just under a million.

When he -- or another guy, can't remember -- asked about top speed, I told him I never get close to that, but on one recent trip of about 100 miles, I left the house on Sunday morning at 8:00 AM, and arrived at my destination in the year 2027.

4. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    At least he didn't think it was a Pinto, LOL.

MalcQV likes this.
  5. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    #2655 greatscott73, Nov 4, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    After an entire weekend at two different car shows, I am freshly armed with new ammunition.
    Saturday, at an all-Ferrari show, I really only had one. The guy asked me if I didn't get tired of paying for oil changes that costs thousands since the engine had to be removed to accomplish this feat. I told him the oil was easier to change than on my Kia, but he was having none of it.
    Sunday was just a typical "Cars in the park" kind of show, and it was rather amazing. One genius asked how much the kit cost to build my Mondial from a Fiero. I told him the Ferrari driveline swap was a major hit, but stretching the tupperware Pontiac to accomodate the rear seats really was the most daunting challenge.
    Another obvious car enthusiast was convincing his poor young son that my car was a four cylinder, since he could only see four spark plugs. When I told him it was a V8, he pointed at the rear most distributor and yelled that it only had four leads coming from it. When I pointed out the second distributor, the dual coils and the hidden-but-there rear cylinder bank, he still wasn't admitting defeat. I didn't want to completely make him look like an idiot in front of his kid, so I let it go. I have decided our public educational system must be in completely abysmal condition these days....

nicholasn, stavura, Portofino and 4 others like this.
  6. thehick

thehick Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    VA
    I recently took the yellow 360 to my favorite restaurant, and as I was getting out, a genius stopped by to chat. He said "Wow, that's a really nice car. I didn't know they made Ferrari's in yellow. Who would be crazy enough to have them paint it yellow?"

....hmm, I guess the guy you're talking to? .. ha. At least he didn't think it was a Mustang.

nicholasn, stavura, mswiek and 2 others like this.
  7. mswiek

mswiek Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Speaking of non-red Ferraris, since my 550 is TdF Blue, I a always asked if: a) is it a repaint; b) was it a custom factory order; c) how much extra did I have to pay the factory to do a color other than red.

Best one was once in Maranello, talking to some of the artisans in the Classiche Department, they asked which car I had. I told them a 550, and then noted the comments I get about it not being red. One of the artisans came up to me, put his arm on my shoulder, and said, "Every Ferrari is red...no matter what color it is."

8. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    I usually had the reverse problem, explaining that although they could see 8 wires and plugs the car in fact was a four banger.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/xielf669dp5pey6/motor%20-%20top%20view%20copy.jpg?dl=0

Best regards,.

Robert

9. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Took my wife's Lusso to local SHELL station.
    When fueling, a guy on the opposite side asked what kind of car it was, I responded it was a kit car made by a friend of mine.
    He visibly relaxed and with a smile said: "Oh, great, I thought for a moment you were some kind of a drug dealer and it was some expensive car"

10. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    you should’ve said, ‘no, that’s the mrs, I have to go bail her out and if her car isn’t topped off she beats me’

nicholasn, stavura and PhilNotHill like this.
  11. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    At least he didn't call it a mistake! :)

daytona355 likes this.
  12. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Guy pointing to the shields on my 550 " Were you in the First Cav?"

13. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    #2663 absent, Nov 8, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    Why would I tell him the truth?
    Btw, she was arrested back in June for passing an Illinois State Trooper on I-294 (he was in front of a semi and she did not see him until too late.:oops:
    She was doing about 120 (mostly empty tollway) in 65 zone.
    Had 3 continuances so far and hope to get a supervision for her by the end of Winter.

daytona355 likes this.
  14. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Jeez, now thats a cool wife! Not afraid to bash the loud pedal, love it......

yesterday I was called to hospital, ultimately to hear that my best friend is dying, and I had to be there with him for the doctors before they would tell him... I raced to be there, and at one point went past a cop doing around _ _ _ mph, I saw his lights come on, figured screw him as I have no plates on the car, and carried on pressing a bit harder. I think he is still on the motorway network looking for the blue flash that made his car shake as it flew past! Of course, I’m not saying I exceeded the limit, I would never do that, I think he was pretty much stopped when I passed him, or so it seemed! Hehehe

I got arrested in Texas years ago on the Bullrun, and had to go before the judge and pay an extraordinary fine. She said if I was a local I’d have been locked up for a bit given the speed, but being a tourist, and doing it collecting for a charity, she felt my donation to the local police force benevolence fund was enough, what a great lady.

I really don’t understand why cops don’t give some people in some circumstances more leeway, a warning would suffice. A well maintained and serviced Ferrari, built for ultimate speed and handling, faster on the brakes than a normal car, travelling at 120 is no danger to anyone on an open highway, with good visibility and assuming the one truck and cop car don’t do any stupid weaving around.... why arrest her? I appreciate it’s the law, but I’d rather they nicked the drunk drivers and people that can’t drive even well below the limit that we see every day on the roads, they are the dangerous ones... speed in itself is not dangerous, it’s the person behind the wheel and their skills, and those around them who don’t check their mirrors and don’t anticipate things properly.

15. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    May l suggest no matter how great of driver you are...make sure you have really good tires at he time.

I'm 360 Canuck and daytona355 like this.
  16. ScreaminRevs

ScreaminRevs Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Arresting someone for going xx miles over the posted limit should absolutely result in felony charges to the corrupt scum; it is armed kidnapping -- a quite serious offense. Any real lawyer worth his salt should be able to file this under the criminal code Title 18 {not sure of the section}.

daytona355 likes this.
  17. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    always Phil.... I’m one of the people who actually records the batch numbers from my tyres and changes them when they reach three years old, like I throw out food when it’s a minute past midnight on the date they are best before... religious about it, and check condition pretty much every time I go out and pressures at least weekly. Doesn’t mean you can’t still have a problem, but it definitely makes the chances less likely

18. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    im pretty stupid, but I’m not stupid enough to argue with a Texas ranger if he wants to nick me for speeding! Even a chancer like me is all ‘yes sir, no sir’ when faced with an angry cop that just stopped me for high hundreds out in the middle of nowhere’s Ville, he may be too tempted to cite resisting arrest and blow me away right there

19. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You should have told him the original paint was hot pink but you had it converted over to yellow

thehick likes this.
  20. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I would have said yes it is the original mustang but with a Ferrari body kit.

21. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    But they're not arresting the car, they're arresting the driver... So doesn't your last point (people's skill behind the wheel are what's dangerous) contradict your original point (why arrest people for speeding - their skill keeps them from crashing)?

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

22. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    not sure what you are getting at. I’m suggesting that pulling over a Ferrari, which is a very much more capable car at speed than any normal car that might be on the highway, and arresting the driver, just for 120mph, is over the top and unnecessary, as the car transfers to the driver the ability to stop faster and handle better. Yes, someone can act like an ass behind the wheel and those should be stopped regardless of the car they are in, but a well driven Ferrari that just happens to be over some arbitrary speed limit is no threat to anyone at all. When I was stopped at 160mph on a Suzuki GSXR, the officer actually commended my driving, and gave me a warning to slow down as other officers would like to throw the book at me. He did not think it necessary to arrest me, as he probably should have done by the letter of the law, but saw that the motorcycle was capable, he saw me slow for hazards, anticipate problems and avoid them, and use speed properly.

similarly, in Florida, I had a ticket for well over 130mph (I can no longer remember exactly) that should have seen me jailed most likely, but I just got the ticket and a friendly chat that turned into a suggestion I move to Florida and trade as he knew of hundreds of likely clients he could introduce me too! The ticket was for over $1500, but who cares, no jail, no aggro and of course, my licence is a UK one so no issue for me on insurance etc. Again, he followed me and saw me driving well, just fast, hence the treatment... far more sensible way of dealing with it

hence, assuming the car is driven well, and just a bit quick, as long as the car is capable of what it is doing and the driver is clearly skilled enough to do it, leave them alone.

23. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    She was driving her 2019 Lusso, 4 empty lanes on Sunday at 5 AM and just one semi with a cop hiding in front of him on far right side.
    She is religious regarding tires condition, it's in her blood, she was one of top female drivers in Poland Rally Championships 1989-1990. Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    1989/90 - was she in the ‘toddler’ age class? Christ, they stay young looking in Poland eh?

25. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    LOL!
    She will be 52 in a couple months

458Silverstone, Bas and daytona355 like this.