812 GTS.....must have options! | FerrariChat

812 GTS.....must have options!

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by ppg70, Nov 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017
    I wanted to start this new thread since somebody already config his car and some others will do soon....including me!

so I would like to know your opinion about which options for exterior and interior this model must have

colors are subjective!!

but for example what about:

1) carbon fibre parts for exterior, yes or not? if yes which one
    2) standard seats (full electric) or carbon racing seats?
    3) carbon fibre parts for interior, yes or not? if yes which one
    4) exhaust type?
    5) apple carplay?
    6) Premium Hi-Fi?
    7) Adaptive front light + front suspension lifter?
    8) Surround cameras?
    9) ADAS pack

thanks for sharing your suggestions

Jelial likes this.
  2. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    In no particular order for me, keeping in mind at heart a GT car, not a boy racer exotic.

Classy color, leaning towards Rosso Fiorano.
    No external CF.
    Standard seats in Daytona style, I find these more comfortable than full electric. Nice stitching/horse.
    Interior CF is fine, including driver zone, I like the wheel lights, but no CF on door panels.
    Premium hifi.
    Standard exhaust tips.
    Front lifter, maybe..have to do research on this.
    Shields.
    No ADAS if possible, but suspect is “mandatory option.”
    No Apple CarPlay.
    Diamond forged wheels.
    Backup camera/camera surround with sensors.

SteveBaron, Gullwing, RamsHmb and 2 others like this.
  3. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Agreed with the no external CF, personally I think it's too glitzy. Prefer the dull look of the standard trim.
    Premium Hifi i would get, I don't have it in my 812 and the standard sound is pretty embarrassing for a car at this price level.

BLUESL, wrs and Griffon83 like this.
  4. nimamd

nimamd Karting

Mar 25, 2016
    How about the passenger display?
    I’m not a big fan of it but some say it’s a must have option as it can affect the resale value.

5. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I think that is perhaps the single dumbest option ever created for a car.

6. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    I have it and it is a gimmick. Of passing novelty value to passengers but not useful.

I think dealers are happy to have you believe you won’t be able to sell the car without it... that’s BS. There are some options which fit that category - shields, LED lights on steering wheel etc - but not passenger display

BLUESL, AMN, PTG1 and 3 others like this.
  7. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I like this spec, it's basically how I configured my 812 with a bias towards subtle (https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/finally.601562/)

Argento over Cuoio
    didn't uprate sound system
    CF steering wheel only
    Lifter is must
    black calipers and tach
    added passenger display

When I order the GTS the one change I will go with is a dark exterior color to minimize the darkened rear window area, I may tweak some other minor elements, but I agree with the whole classy and understated theme.

8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    It's quite early to say I think, but a few things are always interesting, and others are pure Marmite.

1: This one many will like for sure. It's a car that is supposed to be special, so many will choose this to add some exclusivity rather than black plastic. If any outside CF as a bare minimum, everything that would otherwise be black plastic needs to be selected, otherwise it will seem half done. Whether or not things that can be delivered in body colour like the rear diffuser, will be more up to the individual spec. Main caveat for the CF parts are for some who drive their cars hard. Yes they are pretty parts, but also expensive to replace. Fact is that when the cars are driven hard, it wears hard on the side skirts as well as front and rear lower parts. But will many choose them? Yes.

2: All I've spoken to so far lean towards the CF seats. One of the reasons is that the standard seats make you sit way too high. Not only does this remove you somewhat from the connection with the car, it sometimes also looks really odd as the driver looks like he is sitting on the car, rather than in the car so to speak. A major issue of the 458 and 488 with standard seats imo. So, both for inside looks, as well a sporty feel, but also from outside perspective, I'd say the CF sportsseats will be the most chosen. Personally I prefer the comfort of thse as well.

3: It's definitely a strong selling point, but on the other hand, I seems like quite a few will go TM on the 812GTS, so there will most likely be a lot of individual stuff done. But generally speaking, the most liked specs in the used market, both in the EU and US, will be with CF interior options. How many will be down to the spec. But I'm of the opinion that like outside, it's all or nothing. Only exception for this is where CF will replace leather/fabric. I personally don't like the big CF door panels. I prefer leather as I think it's too much. But on the alu parts, all CF or no CF. But generally, CF are a fairly coveted option.

4: Not much to say. All you pay for are tips, not an actual sports exhaust system. They only have bearing on the cars desirability in relation of how the tip colour matches the spec. So no, they are not important options by themselves. Go black if ti fits, silver if that fits, or Ti if that fits.

5: Some like it, come don't. I'm an Android man, so I could care less. The price is down right idiotic and borderline insulting. Not important overall.

6: 50/50. Dealbreaker for some, not for others. The Ferraris generally fair well in terms of clearance. The lights are nice, but few care. Not a desirable option overall.

7: Quite a few have not been particular pleased with the front and rear cams, so if this system works better, yes they are definitely going to be a nice option many would want.

8: This is hard to say. A lot will see it as a really nice safety feature. But for just as many, it will be seen as something problematic that can be dangerous. For those of us whom have already experienced such a system hit the brakes unexpectedly in a car, it can easily be a deal-breaker and it's most certainly not something I would ever order. If two cars are for me to choose with one not having it, I choose the car without. If I can't get a car without it, I will turn it off. Here in the EU, we are fortunately not forced into that one, yet.... I would not order it and know of nobody who would. Is it a must have? Not at all.

BLUESL likes this.
  9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I definitely disagree that it is only a gimmick now. Yes, the first incarnation of the passenger display was, but not anymore. It's actually very nice that a passenger can operate the navi and radio, so the driver can focus on driving during a road trip. It's great that a Ferrari is as driver focused as it is, but it's also a bit of a pain sometimes that the driver is the only one whom could do anything. Yes some cars hsd a center screen which means that this can be done by both which did indeed render the passenger display a bit redundant, but here it's actually a great thing which makes the passenger able to make life easier. on a road trip.

Napoli likes this.
  10. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Love you spec but have a question. Why the interior CF? You can get leather wrapped steering wheel with LEDs. Metal and leather interior spec would be classier than one with CF.

Napoli likes this.
  11. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I agree with you...will depend on final color choice and leather interior colors. Hadn’t thought about leather wheel with LEDs...will definitely keep that in mind.

[gTr] likes this.
  12. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I have it in my Lusso and never use it. Frustratingly you have to lean over to switch it on at startup which i find myself doing to try and get some value for money out of it!!! ;-)

BLUESL and ScottS like this.
  13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Apples and oranges.
    The Lusso is one of the cars where it's definitely a more useless option, as the passenger can use the center screen. But we are talking the 812 GTS here. The passenger display is the only way for a passenger to run the satnav and the radio. It might not be important to some, but for others it's definitely a nice addition.

14. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    JMHO :)

1) carbon fibre parts for exterior, yes or not? if yes which one - No, the concept here is open air V12 romance not hard core sports driving.

2) standard seats (full electric) or carbon racing seats? Go with full electric for the same reasons. The latest generation full electric seats are tremendously comfortable and have very good support to hold you.

3) carbon fibre parts for interior, yes or not? if yes which one - I would go with no CF interior parts, but I would order the LED wheel and have them wrap it in leather.

4) exhaust type? Is there a choice or do you mean the color? I think that depends on the rest of the spec, but I would avoid the black look.

5) apple carplay? Yes, its very nice to have for current and future functionality.

6) Premium Hi-Fi? Yes to the same, have a look at all the threads about people looking to upgrade their factory standard radios, it will cost 3-5x the amount to do it after the fact and the integration won't be as good, and I can tell you the new hi-fi is very very good to excellent. Btw- the standard radio is actually pretty good too, but the hi-fi has really nice sound.

7) Adaptive front light + front suspension lifter? Yes

8) Surround cameras? Yes

9) ADAS pack- If this is the radar cruise then no way!

pdxjim488, MalibuGuy and deltona like this.
  15. RADM JJ Corronado

Oct 22, 2018
    Northport, NY USA
    Full Name:
    John J. Corronado
    Perhaps to a purist, you're right.

However, whenever I climb to 125 mph, it delights my son, frightens my business partner, and annoys my wife every time I have them on board.

Wouldn't trade it for the world.

16. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    My wife and kids really enjoy the passenger display. No other car has this.

Avia11, JTSE30 and klinkman like this.
  17. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    "ADAS"

Why is there so much dislike for this feature in the Ferrari community? Is it just the "I'm not in control" any longer thing?

The wife's Prius has it, our Audi has it, and having used them regularly, I think these packages offer great advances.

I love the distance sensing cruise control for traffic, about the only time I use it. I think the autobraking is an outstanding feature, it's like ABS where one very very rarely activates it, but it's nice to know it's there if you're not paying full attention for that unanticipated moment. Even the unobtrusive amber light indicating a car in the blind spot is a nice feature -- seems like exotics with, generally speaking, compromised rearward visibility, could benefit.

Don't get me wrong, I like the purist aspect too, and Ferrari certainly preserves that through over-ride controls. Simply choose not to activate if those intrusions bother one so much. But technological advances like these and backup cameras (not to mention Ferrari's stunning motor, transmission and steering technologies) are exactly why I buy new cars and don't own drivers with drum brakes, lap belts and non-collapsible steering columns.

18. Elisesko

Elisesko Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2016
    Optional today has a funny way of turning into required tomorrow. False hard breaking situations do occur. Can lend itself to a false sense of security and more inattentive driving. GPS speed monitors. Weight and complexity. More potential visits to the fast turn around times that is Ferrari service. I could go on and on about the potential future requirements these systems would allow for the restricting of driving freedoms in a Nanny State. Poor weather and blocked sensors rendering the driving crutches inoperable (not everyone lives in sunny California) and now u have a driver who doesn't quite know where to look in their blind spots because the cute little yellow light isn't lit up. I'll put my 100% driving record up against a false breaking event any time. Until that is, I can't disable the less than 100% accuracy rate of a computer.

Swa589, JTSE30, ScottS and 1 other person like this.
  19. Elisesko

Elisesko Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2016
    Excuse me while I go find wood to knock on.

20. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    false breaking - we've had these systems in two different cars for more than two years and never encountered
    poor weather and blocked sensors - I've seen this concern surfaced around "self driving cars" rather than ADAS. These systems are very well engineered and sorted out, automotive engineering by its nature is rigorous. We've also had the AWD Audi in Tahoe during snow storms and never had any issues.
    amber light - uh, sorry to disappoint, but one regularly encounters folks that don't look over their shoulder when changing lanes, cute light or not

I appreciate one's rights to choice, but this reminds me of guys who want an 812 with a manual transmission. I like a throwback as much as anyone, but one of the glories of these cars is the magnificent integration of drive train. Once you drive it it's a no brainer. These issues sound more like perpetuation of myths than actual experiences with them. ADAS improves safety or can make for a better driving experience for the vast majority of the driving population or manufacturers wouldn't be moving them into their cars. But hey, I'm certain some folks thought seat belts were uncomfortable when they first came out too.

The good news is that we all have the power of the wallet. ;)

21. Elisesko

Elisesko Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2016
    It's sorted until it's not.

22. Elisesko

Elisesko Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2016
    And it is indeed experienced by yours truly and not passing along fear mongering. Crusie control. Dark Wyoming highway. Fast lane passing a semi on the right. As soon as it got close to the semi, the system for some reason thought an impact could occur. It obviously wasnt. Hard brake. Thankfully no one was following me thinking I was a reasonable driver capable of passing a semi in it's own lane. The vehicle then realized it could again attempt to pass. Since it was dark and just myself and the semi, I decided to see how the system would resolve itself. After a number of tentative looks at it, it would never allow the passing of the semi. So eventually I took control and properly passed the truck. So don't tell me about ur perfection and beautifully resolved systems. It does happen.

And yes, I'd rather an attentive driver monitor the blind spot oblivious drivers than a computer.

We can vote with our wallets until we can't. Which is what my initial sentence in response stated.

23. Elisesko

Elisesko Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2016
  24. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Please point to where I said these are "perfect systems." If not, I'd appreciate you not putting words in my mouth. thx

25. Elisesko

Elisesko Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2016
    You asked for reasons why people wouldn't like, I provided, and you took issue with it as fear mongering. We are off topic. I'm glad you never have any issues with your aids.