Looking for 348 / 355 ABS Teves Pump | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Looking for 348 / 355 ABS Teves Pump

Discussion in '348/355' started by yelcab, Oct 31, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
  2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  3. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    looks like the pump bolts to a housing that hosts the pressure switch and the accumulator.

i imagine the housing does not go bad cant you plug a pump and switch to the existing housing and not have to relocate it?

does not seem you need the whole unit just swap the used pump and switch onto the ferrari housing, what am i missing?

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. User-C3

User-C3 Karting

Aug 29, 2018
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Yes you are partly correct, the pump itself is the cast part that the accumulator, pressure switch, and electric motor all mount to. The real issue is the part is not serviceable, and too many of these cars go long durations without being driven. That and not flushing the brake fluid often enough causes the brake fluid to almost crystallize and cause buildup inside the pump, it then begins to get locked up.
    The pump on my car was frozen solid, I even broke the keyway trying to get it to free up, and because it froze up the electric motor burned itself out. The Jag electric motor is a direct bolt on to the ferrari pump unit, as is the pressure switch, so if its the electric motor you need that is no problem. But if you are trying to use one that has gotten bad fluid in it chances are it wont build pressure any longer, much like the units 97Spider had for sale, and the same as the Ferrari pump I sourced for mine, even if they spin free there is a possibility they no long pressurize the system.
    Hope that makes sense and answers the question.

5. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    The brake fluid absorbs a lot of moisture over time, thus the requirement to flush it every 2 years (better every year). The water in the system causes corrosion of any steel parts. I believe that the ABS pump uses steel rollers on the pump rotor (similar to what fuel pump rotors have) and, if it is sitting for long periods of time with "wet" brake fluid, the pump rotor and its rollers will corrode and freeze the pump. even if the rotor is force-freed, the pump will be no good due to pitting on the rotor/rollers.

6. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric

The hose you had made..... it was the black one with the hose clamp, the fitting needed is in the pump as a 90 degree elbow and pipe clamped on the other end?

7. User-C3

User-C3 Karting

Aug 29, 2018
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    No, thats the line from the master cylinder or reservoir, it has a hose clamp on it because its not a pressure line just a transfer line. The line you need made is the black flexible line with the banjo fitting on it on the pump side and connects to the brake hard line under the master cylinder. I never took a picture of it on mine. I believe the jag unit actually has a hard line going straight into it, and thinking about it now I may have used the banjo bolt off the range rover unit I bought because it was the right thread pitch. I would take the pump into a hydraulic shop with you and the flexible line. Tell them you need a hose made just like the one removed but to mount up into the jag pump, so a larger banjo fitting.

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The idiot at the Pennsylvania rebuilder outfit ...

1. Could not evaluate the unit so he told me that it was working fine, (after sitting on it for 4 weeks)
    2. I had to help him trouble shoot the unit to find the pump leaking at the center shaft
    3. He disassembled the motor from the pump body and tried to reassemble it. In the process, he misaligned the pump drive gear and tried to torque the pump motor to the body thereby cracking the mounting ear off from the pump body, rendering the body broken,
    4. Then he tried to "glue" it back together with black silicone and of course it failed.
    5. And he proceeded to declare that my pump was un-rebuildable... and I owed him bench fee and shipping charge back to me ($100).

That is why I need a whole pump, with a body and a motor. I should find their name and post it on here so none of us ever have to deal with this dishonest incompetent jerk again.

It is garbage service like this, or price gouging (3000 sterling pounds for a new old stock) that I am so happy to find a $200 solution even if it means a custom line to be made.

9. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    No I get why you need it I was just wondering of the parts around pump body are replaceable. I have seen the motors from time to time is why so next time I'll pick one up is all. thanks!

10. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  11. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Final report.

The Jag pump does work if …..

1. You change the pump pressure sensor from a blue unit to a Green unit. Otherwise the Brake warning light comes on.
    2. You modify that mounting bracket so that it leans the other way and fit under the lining upper cover. I chose to modify the existing bracket but in retrospect I should have made a new one from scratch. This involves cutting, welding, and grinding. A true DIY solution.
    3. You need a new flexible hi-pressure line. Easily made (in 5 minutes) at Royal Brass in San Jose.
    4. You need to source a new banjo bolt 10mm x 1mm by 25mm length.
    5. You also need to lengthen the low pressure feed line from the master cylinder to the pump body. 3/8 inch line is used.

All in all, it is not a drop in solution but totally doable and gives you a chance to show the bird to the $1500-$3000 Ferrari pump on ebay.

If all you need is a motor, any Jaguar unit will give you a good motor for $150.

An even more elegant solution is to swap positions of the ballast reservoir and the high pressure port. This involves some machining work that is beyond my equipment but doable for someone else with this level of skills. Then, the Jaguar unit would just fit the existing bracket.

I am buying two more for future stash.

12. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    And you are not going to share what model, unit, year for the rest of us?

13. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  14. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  15. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Or you can just search for Jaguar ABS pump and it is then easy to recognise those that look like the Ferrari one. I believe they are all the same irrespective of the Jaguar model or year.

16. User-C3

User-C3 Karting

Aug 29, 2018
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Lets see some installed pictures

17. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Too late. It's all back together now.
    I am actually very impressed with your installation and especially the new base bracket to lean the pump the other way. You actually move the pump back 1 inch and lean it 30 degrees. very nice fit. You should make that bracket and the new banjo line as a conversion kit and sell it for $100 bucks to help out the DIY.

Wade likes this.
  18. User-C3

User-C3 Karting

Aug 29, 2018
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    I could do that. If there is interest I could make up a batch of brackets and lines.

Wade likes this.
  19. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    There will be interests. There are many 348 and 355 and it's time they will fail. I have changed out 3 of them in the last 3 years. Each time, I have to search high and low and then pay $1000 for a used pump that may or may not work. This time, I had to deal with 2 rebuilders that are no good. This car has sat for 3 months while I source for the ABS pump (multiple times).

Make the bracket, I will buy two.

20. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I'd buy one, I was going to waterjet the parts and weld one for myself but if you do it i'l just buy that and the line. Plus you can use a larger accumulator this way.

21. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
  22. User-C3

User-C3 Karting

Aug 29, 2018
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Alright, I think I will just make a jig to crank a bunch of brackets out and that way I can reproduce them anytime in the future. Maybe I'll start with a batch of 10. I'll include the bracket, the pressure line, banjo bolt, low pressure line, and hardware as a complete kit to bolt up a Jag pump. May be a bit over $100 each but I definitely will not be contributing to the Ferrari tax on these. I have a few things going on right now so it may take a few weeks to get started.

Wade, jeffdavison and Qavion like this.
  23. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  24. User-C3

User-C3 Karting

Aug 29, 2018
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Not a radiator shroud, but I do need a transmission. I'll make a bunch of brackets for a transmission lol :D

25. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    I'll commit to a kit. THANKS!