Drove the F8 today and placed my order! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Drove the F8 today and placed my order!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by buddyg, Nov 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    how are the aftermarket exhausts for the 488? do they help that model sound better? one of the big improvements on the f8 was supposed to be more emotive sound according to factory. my experience w turbo sport cars is gtr which is terrible stock but pretty decent with aftermarket. im sure f8 is exponentially better than gtr sound

2. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    $8437 engine frame

$7931 engine covers

Art138 likes this.
  3. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Novitec has some nice options for the 488. remains to be seen what the aftermarket comes up with to deal with the GPF, but I'm sure solutions will be available.

4. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    will the gpf be in usa? does tubi make exhaust for newer models?

5. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    unfortunately, GPF will be in every F8 produced regardless of delivery region. Big fail on that.

tickerhound and of2worlds like this.
  6. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    VERY big fail - Ferrari not considering its customers here

7. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    agreed. i would think 458 owners would be hesitant to give up that sound for f8. maybe if expert driver who tracks it a lot would make it worthwhile but thats about .0001% owners.

xfrgtr likes this.
  8. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    I totally want to see NRA sticker on a Tesla!

VAF84 and jumpinjohn like this.
  9. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    If someone engineers an exhaust system that deletes the GPF (making an assumption that this is what subdues the sound...and I think it is) then I would definitely be intrigued. I would almost bet that the calibration would need to be done in tandem.

10. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Please realize removing/replacing the GPF will require reprogramming the ECU which will immediately void your warranty.

So, I imagine if anyone does provide a solution and allows removal of the GPF it will be impossible to resell the car for a while due to the warranty being voided and good luck with the ECU reprogramming.

The GPF devices (one per exhaust channel) is regularly interactive with the ECU and you cannot simply remove the GPF as the car would go into limp mode if it would drive at all. And there are no 'dummy sensors' you can use the manipulate the ECUs as the GPF devices may have their own onboard computer that would communicate with the ECU...

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20180334977.pdf

abstract:
    The method determines whether soot loading of a gas particulate filter (GPF) requires regeneration. If it does, the temperature of the GPF is read to determine whether it is sufficiently high to achieve particulate (soot) burning. If it is not, an engine control module is commanded to adjust variables such as spark timing, fuel injection timing and valve timing. If the temperature of the particulate filter is sufficiently high that regeneration can occur, other variables may be adjusted such as leaning the air/fuel mixture, retarding the spark timing, the fuel injection and valve timing. Because the latter adjustments may limit or reduce either engine speed or power, messages in a message center are provided indicating, first, that the driver should continue driving for GPF regeneration and, subsequently, under certain conditions, that the engine power has been reduced. Operation of the motor vehicle proceeds until, based upon sensed conditions or pre-determined experimental or empirical data, the filter has been regenerated.

11. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    so like removing catalytic converters back in the 70s. it will eventually get figured out

Caeruleus11 and Dicecal like this.
  12. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Not the point, and not the same, if you are good with voiding your warranty, there may be a solution if any third party decides to attempt. Yes, there are aftermarket solutions already for GPF cars that have been on the market (VW, BMW, MB, etc) for a while and each requires reprogramming the ECU.

BMW:

http://www.millteksport.com/gpf-opf-delete-pipe-with-hi-flow-cats-ssxbm1092.html
    disclaimer:GPF/OPF Bypass software is required on the vehicles ECU in most cases.

VW:
    http://www.millteksport.com/downpipe-with-gpf-opf-catalyst-delete-ssxvw544.html
    disclaimer:Requires Stage 2 ECU Remap

MB:
    http://www.millteksport.com/gpf-opf-delete-pipe-ssxmz126.html
    disclaimer:Required Stage 2 ECU Remap

Even Porsche (they took 2 years to figure out how to do the GPF on their cars), which does non-GPF cars for other markets, still retains a "place holder" to replicate the engine back pressure.

Removing the "cats" easy super easy in comparison, and there was nothing to "figure out" back then, just take them off, done. Years later there were O2 sensors that can be replicated.

Bundy and of2worlds like this.
  13. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Sad about the sound profile. aftermarket won’t fix, hasn’t in the 488.
    F8 exterior looks pretty good.

of2worlds likes this.
  14. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    does the GPF do heat cycles and burn the particles like the diesels do?

15. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    It may differ based on implementation. From a May 2019 paper:

Abstract: Gasoline particulate filters (GPF) have been introduced to reduce particle number emissions from GDI vehicles. The filters utilize wall-flow substrates first developed for diesel particulate filters. The GPF regenerates passively, but an active regeneration assist is needed to prevent filter plugging during low temperature duty cycles. Ash has an impact on GPF performance and—if the GPF is coated with a three-way catalyst—can be a source of catalyst poisoning.

This article places regen at 1000 to 1200 degrees F:

https://www.aecc.eu/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/2017-AECC-technical-summary-on-GPF-final.pdf

If your driveway collects ice in the winter then no problem just idle your car over it for a couple minutes.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  16. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    It seems the new 992 Turbo will also be suitable for driveway ice removal. Unlike the USA 992 base models which ditches the GPF the new Turbo is saddled with GPF for the USA destination models to. Just like the F8 the new 992 Turbo will also be 110 pounds heavier than the model it replaces.

Shadowfax, Bundy and Caeruleus11 like this.
  17. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Difficult to call that progress. Most recent sportscars are already too heavy.

day355, of2worlds, Shadowfax and 2 others like this.
  18. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The F8 is lighter than the 488.

Jo Sta7, tfazio and LVP488 like this.
  19. David Richardson

Mar 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    David R

20. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The whole point of these discussions lately was how the F8 compared to the Pista since Ferrari gave it a 710HP engine to. The Pista is 110 pounds lighter but costs 75,000USD more when comparing it with F8 typical list prices. With the further complication of relative availability which has done 488 resale prices no favours.
    THE F8 is a wonderful evolution of the 458 that lacks the sound intensity but compensates with better handling and more power delivered in a more useful manner. The F8 is a Pista that has been sent to charm school but put on a few pounds...

Jo Sta7 and jumpinjohn like this.
  21. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I would love to read a comprehensive comparison between the F8 to the 488 and the Pista.

of2worlds likes this.
  22. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
  23. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I thought the whole point was simply discussing the merits of the F8. Weight comparisons with the Pista are straw arguments since the Pista utilizes quite a bit to reduce weight from the 488. The Pista is much more track focused than the 488 which, incidentally, leads to a higher price as well. It is also one reason I was not interested. I don’t track and so sound deadening the road noise is a nice thing if I’m driving the car frequently on public roads only.

I think it is impressive that the F8 comes in lighter than the 488 while maintaining the same level of livability AND being burdened with the new nannies...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

24. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Yes and no since the Pista engine contributes a 40 pounds weight reduction in the F8. But I take your point about the different street focus for the F8 vs what Pista buyers expectations are. :)

25. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    I have never driven a 488 so I can’t compare the sound of the F8 to the 488, but I just read this from an article from Automobile Magazine for what it’s worth:

With the F8's Manettino dial switched to Race, we reveled in the F8's throaty exhaust note, which engineers have tuned with longer exhaust runners to allow for more high-frequency notes. Though the sound still can't compare to the shrieking wail of the F355, it's certainly more sonorous than the 488 GTB