FF cold startup loudness | FerrariChat

FF cold startup loudness

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by andyrichter, Nov 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. andyrichter

andyrichter Karting

Jul 18, 2017
    Oahu
    How long do the valves stay open on cold start? After the valves close, is the car quiet enough not to disturb neighbors? Thanks for your help

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Cold starts are loud. If i have neighbors 100 ft away they will hear it for sure

3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I love that it’s loud lol;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Natkingcolebasket69

Here is mine the day I got it; stock cold start.
    Since it has some
    Upgrades...Louder.

Jaguar36 and andyrichter like this.
  5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    With valves closed, the car is fairly quiet. It will in that situation not bother normal people. If an FF with closed valves bother someone, you are dealing with an overly sensitive subject and not much other than a Tesla will do.

If you are worried about the cold start, or that the valves will open when pulling away, get the Forza exhaust controller. It has a Full Open, Auto, and Full Closed setting.
    If you have that installed, turn the car on without starting it. Hit the Close button on the exhaust fob. Now when you hit the start button and fire up the car, it will not open the valves during cold start. This setting will also prohibit the valves from opening when driving somewhere you wish to stay quiet.

andyrichter likes this.
  6. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    Regarding time from cold start, in my case, I start in the garage (shared with my neighbors, so we have about 40 cars in the garage - I'm very close to the exit garage doors and always reverses into my garageplace) , drives away, open garage door (radio) and when I exit more or less the valves closes. I'd say 20-30 seconds somewhere.

andyrichter likes this.
  7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    All cold starts are valve open on ff and there is no way to stop it. The controller doesn’t stop the cold start

ANOpax and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    It's been a while, but I think you're incorrect on that one. It's been about a year since the FF, but I recall the Forza controller as working like that on the FF. Once in always closed, it would stay closed until always open or regular auto mode was selected.

Not saying I could not be mistaken, but I recall it like that.

andyrichter likes this.
  9. Natkingcolebasket69

I know On the capristo it stays open even with remote.

10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    True. But the Capristo is not a three mode system. The Capristo is either fully open all the time or auto.

BOKE and andyrichter like this.
  11. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    ok maybe we are both right actually. when i tried to solve for this i asked novitec if they cld modify the ECU to accomplish this - they said impossible. i though i asked my inde if we cld accomplish this mechanically with a valve controller and i remember his saying no but maybe there is a way? wld be great if someone can confirm.

BOKE likes this.
  12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You're right. I remember wrong. Once the car is past cold start, yes then it can be closed at all times. But it's still a way to keep them close once cold start is over and pulling away:)

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  13. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    My FF came with a button under the dash by the steering wheel that makes it quieter. I never use it

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

14. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    can you post a pic? it works when you start the car as well?

15. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    ok makes sense - pretty sure they addresses this with lusso.

16. Natkingcolebasket69

But isn’t it glorious that start up noise guys though!??? It’s a Ferrari!! So special to
    Hear!

ScottS and Bamsefar like this.
  17. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I like how pedestrians get startled when you start it

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

ScottS and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B

Lots to like and it is a glorious sound. That being said, there can be situations where it's nice to fly under the radar and present a more refined and easy going public display.

Sunday morning in a place where people summer and relax, just going to the local bakery for warm roles etc. enjoying the morning sun and quietness. Then people around you sleeping late may not think that V12 ruble is the best thing since sliced bread. There's a time and place for everything and exhaust controllers offer a wonderful ability to have your cake and eat it too:)

19. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Ok, just to add to the speculation - aren’t the valves controlled by vacuum? So this is why they are open at engine start as there is no vacuum in the lines. Once the engine fires, vacuum is established and they close.

Hence, even with a 3 way Forza controller, there is no way to prevent a cold start roar of noise :)

20. andyrichter

andyrichter Karting

Jul 18, 2017
    Oahu
    Spoke to Forza.

You can press the close button with ignition on (engine off) so long as the power to the vacuum control valves have power with just ignition on. This varies based on how each vehicle model is wired.

If not, the other option is to start the engine and press the close valve button immediately.

21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Alright guys, time to clear all this up:)

Here's the answer from Steve @ Forza Componenti I got by email today while inquiring on some other things.

"The car has a vacuum accumulator and if the vacuum circuit is in good condition, that vacuum accumulator, literally a hollow vessel, will hold vacuum for quite a while. Even if it does not or if the vacuum has been lost due to time, once the engine starts, even at high idle speeds, the vacuum is very quickly restored … with a second or two … enough to be applied to the exhaust bypass valve actuators … so that if you press the button to close the valves immediately after starting the engine, the valves will close almost immediately. It actually takes very little vacuum to close the valves as the diaphragm in the actuator has a fairly large surface area relative to the distance and force that has to be applied to rotate the flapper valve."

So yes, you can in fact "kill" the loud startup noise, as I thought I recalled:)

22. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    If it now is vacuum, why is there no "golf-peg" option for the FF? I could live with maximum sound level all the time ;-)

23. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    I’m pretty sure that the ‘golf peg’ option is available for the FF. You just need to get someone to do it for you!

24. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Not sure why that would not be available? Just disconnect the lines and plug them with what ever golfing equipment suits you best. The vacuum does not open the exhaust, it opens closes it, so no lines means open all the time,

350MH83 likes this.
  25. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Sounds like straight pipe will be your best friend.:D