456 Door not Locking | FerrariChat

456 Door not Locking

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by mcfeeley, Nov 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mcfeeley

mcfeeley Rookie

Oct 23, 2013
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    #1 mcfeeley, Nov 2, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    [​IMG] Let me preface this by saying the new 456 has been a delight. I haven't really taken to a car like I have with this one in a long time. It is just a joy to look at, drive, listen to, and generally enjoy... with that being said I have an issue that I am a little stumped.

I drove the car to work the other day and stopped for some coffee, that's when the problem started. I came back to the car and got in and closed the door. I noticed the door did want to latch. The window didn't want to go the extra inch to seal. I thought I must not have closed it hard enough. I gave it a good yank and it closed correctly. I then got to the office and got out and close the door, it again didn't want to latch. I gave it a good slam and it functioned properly.

Fast forward to lunch and I got in the car and closed the door on the way to lunch and this time it wouldn't latch period. I had to drive the car home with me holding the door (thank the Almighty I live 3 min from my office). I perused the youtube and ferrarichat videos and pictures. I decided to take the door panel off as I need to send in the window actuator in for fixing. I started digging through all of the mechanical bits and everything seemed to work. I also took the opportunity to go ahead and clean the stickiness up on the interior door handle. I put it back together and checked everything. It seemed like all was good. BUT, the door won't lock now (it will latch) the car won't turnover, the windows (on both sides) won't seat and I am a little confused.

Don't get me wrong, I am an amateur when it comes to working on cars, but this has me a little perplexed. Am I missing something? Any suggestions or experience would be appreciated.

Go Seb tomorrow!

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I'm wondering if you've damaged the latch mechanism or not reconnected something properly. If the car senses that the doors are not closed, then they won't lock. Do the doors not lock by any method? Key in lock? Door lock lever? Centre console button? Via the fob? As for the no crank problem, perhaps you've blown a fuse during your door repair or just haven't set up the car properly for start.

Here's a DIY video for Ferrari doorlocks, but I don't know if the 456 mechanism is indentical

3. mcfeeley

mcfeeley Rookie

Oct 23, 2013
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Thank you for the reply. I have seen that video and it was a big assist. I turned off the battery supply today and everything worked just fine. I guess it was some sort of reset. The doors seem to function correctly now. I have a couple of videos that shows my issues that I encountered. If anyone could elaborate on what would cause this issue I would appreciate it as no red flags are completely obvious at this time.

Qavion likes this.
  4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Might the locking lever in the armrests be out of adjustment? There are warnings in the manual about using these levers at inappropriate times. I don't know if it damages the locking mechanism or just upsets the electronics.

5. mcfeeley

mcfeeley Rookie

Oct 23, 2013
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    I believe it is something in regards to adjusting the two connections, I just don't know the logic behind how it would affect the operational mechanics. Any light that could be shed on that would be great.

6. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    I have a doc on this site that showed the mech interior and me placing locking tape on the screw mechanisms. Not sure why the battery made a diff and I somewhat believe the M vs my GT had that portion similar, but not sure.

7. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    All those issues put together sounds like a battery problem to me...what's your voltage?

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Would a battery problem cause the original latching problem? Isn't latching purely mechanical?

9. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    No, you're right, that one is indeed mechanical.

I'm really guessing more than anything, it just seems so odd. But perhaps a bad striker contact told the car the door was open for some period of time, partially draining the battery? And as you don't live far, it would not have recharged enough.

I've had a few issues in the past with mine locking and immediately unlocking, it was a bad contact. Caused my battery to go flat after a week.

Qavion likes this.
  10. mcfeeley

mcfeeley Rookie

Oct 23, 2013
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    So a small update. The only thing I can chalk everything up to was that I did wash the car so maybe that caused some of the problem. I did however shut off the battery for a period of time and turned it back on. I have also completed the key in door sequence to reset the locking ecu. Everything seems to be working fine now. Now I wait to see how long it holds out. It has been a few weeks and have drove the car a couple of times without incident. Thank you for everyone's suggestions. Now on to the next project.

Qavion likes this.