400i repaint | FerrariChat

400i repaint

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Ewan, Oct 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    Finally my repaint is completed. After two years of thinking about doing it, then another two of trying to chose the colour and painting company, and then eight months of actual work, my car finally rolled out last week.

For background, my car was originally ordered in Blu Ribot. But before it went into production, the owner changed his mind and altered the order to Bruno Acajou. He kept it like this for 6 years, before then moving the car from London to Hong Kong and having Ferrari HK repaint it Blu Sera. This is the colour it was when I bought it.

The weather has been typically rainy since then, so I've taken no good outdoor sunny pictures yet, but here's a selection taken over the period or work.

The start was removing glass, lights, rubbers, chrome trim, badges, etc. Then a full strip back to bare metal. Thankfully this revealed the bodywork to be in great shape, with just some minor light corrosion at the base of the door mirror, and the leading bottom corner edge of each door.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    Il Tifoso and Al Campbell like this.
  3. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    Al Campbell likes this.
  4. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    For comparison, here's a shot of my car taken a few years ago. The eagle-eyed may notice that as part of my repaint, I've deleted the side repeater lights that were fitted when the car was taken to New York, back in 1981. These repeaters are not required in the UK (or mainland Europe), so in the bin they went.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    WOW Ewan, that is stunning!

Beautiful color choice. Is that Prugna?

And nice job deleting the side marker repeaters. I wish I could take them off my car, but I don’t want to go through a repaint since my paint is currently quite nice, but those repeaters are an eyesore.

Congrats!

Ruben

6. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Congratulations Ewan. Absolutely lovely car and color :)

7. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    What a great color and the job looks well done! I too want to ditch the slapped-on side marker lights as I think they nearly ruin the car visually - and those damn extended US bumpers too.

8. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    great color, suits the car.

Glad to hear windshield and rear screen came out in one piece!

9. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    Yes, it's Prugna. It perhaps looks a little uninteresting on a dull day, but when the sun shines on it, the colour really pops. It's an official Ferrari colour of the period (which was important to me) and matches the original interior well. I'm pleased to hear that you like it as well.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  10. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    The front screen came out (and went back in) in one piece. Much to the surprise of both myself and the bodyshop.

But the old rear screen was milky at the top edge from delamination, so I replaced that with what I believe to have been the last remaining original one. I purchased it from Maranello (in Egham, UK) and they only still had it as it had "Damaged" written on the box. But when the box was opened, the only damage was a tiny thin scratch at the base, that would easily polish out. So I got lucky there!

11. jippiejake

jippiejake Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
  12. james.colangelo

james.colangelo Karting

Jan 28, 2008
    Detroit, MI USA
    Full Name:
    James Colangelo
    Fantastic, thanks for sharing!

13. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    That is gorgeous Ewan, congratulations. And while I love blu sera (the color of my 348ts), I must admit that I actually like prugna better on the 400i oddly enough. Good choice. And also smart to remove the side markers. Luckily mine doesn't have one on the front (which I hate) but at some point got them on the rear. AND, they drilled holes in the side carpets in the trunk to do it. Ugh. Annoying. I had 80s car modifiers. (alarm systems, radios, etc.) haha.

14. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Ugh, same here on the drilled carpets. Butchers!

Ruben

15. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    That was supposed to read "I hate" Sorry to hear about yours Ruben. And I figure if I ever remove them, I'll have carpets on the side with holes in them. And to find replacement carpets in red won't be easy. :(

Il Tifoso likes this.
  16. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    Same! So I do now have holes in the side carpets of my boot. Annoying, but only slightly, as I hardly ever go in there anyway, and on black carpets they are barely visible.

17. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Wow, I must be lucky.....my front yellow lamps were only reflectors, and stick-on at that, they popped right off.
    Rear lamps do have bulbs, along with a hole thru the qtr panel, but nicely done without carpet holes.....I don't plan on re-painting the car while I own it, so the red lamps will be someone else's problem.

Gary

Il Tifoso likes this.
  18. GTR-Man

GTR-Man Rookie

Jun 10, 2021
    Ireland
    Full Name:
    Paul Gartlan

19. 400iCarter

400iCarter Rookie

Jun 4, 2021
    Full Name:
    Layton Carter Thompson
    I have an 84 400i. Paint has seen better days. Has anyone looked into wrapping instead of painting?

20. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    I doubt one could make a clean cut around the glued windscreen. Also the body panels area is large, chances are the covering would shrink.

Good luck in reselling a wrapped 400i...

Il Tifoso and GTR-Man like this.