Ferrari ROMA | Page 36 | FerrariChat

Ferrari ROMA

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ajr550, Feb 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I see a lot of the Monza SP2 in this car, but the front could use some more work. Good to see Ferrari is back on top!!

2. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    back on top? so when they where not on the top?

3. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    And what’s wrong w how a Miata looks? I’ve always thought it easy on the eyes, just coz it’s a cheap car doesn’t mean it needs to be poorly designed.

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I think they have made a really pretty car. I only worry its too much Aston Martin. Its not special enough to be "a Ferrari".

When you look at that rear end and tail lights and you look at the Corvette C8 rear you understand just how far ahead the Italians are in design than anyone else.

ferrarifanatic25 and HotShoe like this.
  5. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Well not Ferrari as much as the death of the Italian design houses. They are coming back with a vengeance now. The Alfieri and SP2 started it. Don't get me wrong they have made some very pretty cars such as the 458, but some misses also.

6. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    "But is it special?"

I believe so. I think this type of Ferrari was missing and was needed in the stable. Classically beautiful, not out to set speed and performance records, but a performer nonetheless, more utility than the mid-engine cars, simple (ie, not a complicated hardtop convertible attempting to be all things) - a gentleman's sports car. Handsome, not ostentatious, capable - I love it. I know many will.

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I get it. Its a marketing slot that needs to be filled. But I don't know if its really that different than an AM. And I don't consider AM's to be "special" anymore.

Its very pretty but I don't think it stands out enough.

HotShoe likes this.
  8. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    As for the Aston Martin comparisons - that's hardly an insult. Aston has proven to be expert at classically beautiful design (with some exceptions, of course). When a low, swoopy, long-hooded sports car design is desired, there's only so many ways to pull it off, and Ferrari in the past, and Aston in the present, have done it masterfully. There will always be similarities when it's done correctly. The Roma is a perfect example.

GPM, ferrarifanatic25 and Prancing 12 like this.
  9. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Bobby Williams / Parts Manager
    Didn't say there was anything wrong with either. Just my opinion that the Roma looks quite similar to the Miata.

10. PBE624

PBE624 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2005
    De Panne Belgium
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Like the overal shape and design, reminds me of my DB9 and the 456GTM. However:
    no fan of the front grill, needs to be reshaped (egg crate). Also, as already since 458, front number plate will cover prancing horse...
    no fan of rear lights, prefer the double round ones ... ;-)
    no big fan of too many (touch)screens in interior, will show fingerprints, and look outdated in 3 years time
    paddles on steering wheel are too big (elephant ears), either shorten them or (as an option) no paddles...
    best colour will be dark blue TdF, Pozzi with dark cream interior...

Cheers,
    Frank

11. Superfans

Superfans Karting

Jan 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    Superfans
    Miata or the Mazda Vision Concept?

12. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Bobby Williams / Parts Manager
    That too.

13. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    This could end up being their top seller - subdued and subtle enough for a broader market of buyers. Look at the age of the crowd: if the older potential buyer has money and doesn't want as much styling as the F8 or the Hot Wheels fenders of the 812, there's this softer, sleeker model.

In a way, with the group here they're obviously 'damned if they do, damned if they don't' since so many lament the loss of the elegance of the 550/575 and 456, the Ferrari goes right back to that and guys say 'blah.' The best part is they can sell this AND the F8 AND the 812 GTS so you can choose your level of wild and stay with the marque.

14. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I like this

15. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I wish there was more SP2 surfacing in it.

Therein lies the problem IMO. It's not that it's an unattractive shape, it's that the surfacing is maybe 80% there. When one goes back thru Ferrari's past and carefully studies the surfacing that made their forms iconic you will notice a recurring theme of voluptuous forms that are taut. That is the secret sauce. A great example of this is the P3/4. When you intently study the shapes you will notice a very subtle crease line that runs along the peak of the fenders. This creates crisp highlights, tension and a visually taut surface. It's often used in their lineage. It's like the difference between a beautiful woman who has some extra pounds on her and one that is in shape. :)

Now maybe it isn't evident in photos because it is a very subtle thing. Or maybe they just couldn't achieve it given the massive packaging they are pushing. Or maybe it's just a quick money grab to expand market base to first time buyers. ;)

It's the same cliche shape every student designer pens when they do a Ferrari project. I still think it's pretty. It's just missing that extra ooomph that would set it out and better represent the brand.

16. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith

Not to split hairs, because I have nothing against the Roma design (just not a car for me) but I must be one of those people smoking crack...because the 250 GTO looks NOTHING like an E-Type in any way shape or form. That is precisely why you have never heard anyone compare the two, ever. Furthermore, if you remove the badging on the 250 GTO I would never assume it was a Jaguar.
    Someone here less lazy than me, if he were so inclined, could post up comparison pix of the GTO and the E-Type coupe to prove they have as much in common as the perennial crack about every supercar "looking like a 'vette."

17. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith

That blue one look A LOT like Blu Simond....

18. ferrarifanatic25

ferrarifanatic25 Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    I guess I should have said that I would never compare the two either. My comment should have been “if you compare the Roma to the F-Type, then you’re probably smoking the same crack as those who would compare the 250 GTO to an E type.”

They have 4 wheels, a long hood, similar headlights and a short deck lid. That’s about it. Similar cars from similar eras look similar. So knocking the Roma for looking like an F type is, in my opinion, a mute point.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

deltona and Juvendude like this.
  19. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Now that makes a little more sense to me. :)

20. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    When they released the sf90!!!

therryzsx likes this.
  21. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    I absolutely love it, adventurous design, especially the front and rear but would I buy a turbo car with particle filters, er NO !, you might as well go electric

22. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    Well, imagine your neighbour's wife is rather pretty.... Tell your wife she looks like her! Be sure she won't take it as a "compliment", instead you'll get a good kick in the ass, if you're lucky! On that level, creatures, even ladies, want to be unique...... :D And we want them to be unique.
    Now, if you feel a 250 GTO looks like an E-Type, I wonder what you've been smoking.
    Not one single Lambo looks or will ever look like a Ferrari. For instance a Miura doesn't at all have the lines of any Ferrari of that epoque. And a Maserati Bpra or Merak looks very different from any Aston, name any of the DB's. Or you want to compare a Mercedes SL to a de Tomaso Mangusta?
    So, most of the nonsense in this thread was found in your post.

Ferrari makes a big mistake to produce this kind of retro BS. It's as big a mistake as the very "Corvette like" rear lights on the SF90 Stradale.

IMO, the Roma looks like a sad dog.

Surfah, Maggio23 and HotShoe like this.
  23. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    There is only one little thing that pisses me off with this car....i can't afford it! Other than that it's perfect!