Maserati Alfieri became the Ferrari Roma | FerrariChat

Maserati Alfieri became the Ferrari Roma

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by rob lay, Nov 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  2. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    nope

ingegnere likes this.
  3. gt_lusso

gt_lusso Karting

Oct 24, 2013
    Northern Europe
    No it didn't become the Roma. It will still be made, but as an all electric or hybrid. Design wise, it looks similar, but what does not look similar today? Cars from the same era have always looked similar. 60s cars look like 60s cars. They all are very similar. I don't mind the Roma looking like Alfieri. They are both beautiful and made to compete in the same type of marked ish.

wrs likes this.
  4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    wishful thinking, people will be butt hurt they are paying $100k more for it with a Ferrari instead of Maserati name. Our sources were Ferrari. Yes, I still believe the Alfieri will be made under that name.

5. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    There are dozens of cars that have a similar profile - Jaguar F-Type, Aston Martin Vantage & DB11. Ferrari and Maserati have nothing to do with each other aside from an engine supply contract which is being wound down.

I’ve seen the Roma last night and I saw the Alfieri at Geneva. Their dimensions are quite different.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

ingegnere, Makuono and gt_lusso like this.
  6. Griffon83

Griffon83 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2016
    Greece
    Full Name:
    Nassos
    Hopefully if Maserati introduces the Alfieri in 2020 it's going to have an interior similar to the Roma and not the likes of Ghibli/Quattroporte/Levante with a lot of Chrysler/Dodge/RAM plastics.

7. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker

There’s ‪nothing wrong with the Roma looking like the Alfieri, yeah a lot of cars are similar with you know... 4 tires and a steering wheel but you’re kidding yourself if you think the Roma looks more like the jag or Aston than the Maserati.

Of course the Alfieri will still be made but what engine was in the concept? Not sure some of y’all understand the significance of a V8. The V8 GT died at Maserati and was resurrected as a Ferrari!

Albert-LP likes this.
  8. gt_lusso

gt_lusso Karting

Oct 24, 2013
    Northern Europe
    I'm sorry, I get what you say now. If I don't remember wrong, a V8 was never on the drawing board. The Alfieri is supposed to be smaller car than the GranTurismo, fighting Vantage, 911, AMG GT and so on. An additional car in Maseratis lineup, next to the successor of the GranTurismo.
    I think it was planned to have a thrilling electrified V6, but after new EU regulation, it was delayed like many other cars. Mercedes-AMG One (that F1 car for the road) is also massively delayed due to that. Now, the Alfieri might be reborn as an electric vehicle only, but I think there will be a V6 hybrid option.

Now, over to the Roma. My big question is; will they make a topless version, offer a V6 as an option and quit producing the Portofino? Or will it be a permanent addition next to next gen Portofino V6? This makes me wonder a lot.

Booker likes this.
  9. Booker

Booker Formula 3

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    I was under the impression that the Alfieri is the long awaited GranTurismo replacement and it has just been delayed

AlfistaPortoghese and SAFE4NOW like this.
  10. gt_lusso

gt_lusso Karting

Oct 24, 2013
    Northern Europe
    Yes, many believes so. But it's actually an additional car. A car I'm very excited for. A smaller two seater with a thrilling V6 and the beauty of a Maserati, it sounds like a no brainer to me. It's going to be a really nice car. So if they ditch the V6 for electric only, I'm not so sure how long Maserati will stay with us. Who wants to buy an expensive electric two seater?

Mbutner likes this.
  11. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Mbutner and rob lay like this.
  12. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Both beautiful cars.

I was always waiting for the new maser...

I’d still consider it if it ever comes out.

Robb

Booker likes this.
  13. qvpower

qvpower Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    Cali
    Once the Maserati comes out, it would be easy to tell if there was any chassis sharing... but most likely given now with manufacturer keeping flexible chassis structures to keep cost down... Personally, the Maserati looks better since overall design seems much more cohesive. The Roma looks like in comparison like a rebodied Maserati that maybe Zagato or Pininfarina may do for a special client...

kandi likes this.
  14. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    The Alfieri is rumoured to be electric

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

15. Booker

Booker Formula 3

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    A V6 Plug-In hybrid option is most specific thing I have heard

16. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Rumors here tell that next year there will be the new Maserati Alfieri, but it will be something like the Alfa Romeo 4c: a compact mid engine supercar. This Roma is not based on the 2014 Maserati Alfieri, but it replaces what the 2014 Maserati Alfieri concept had to be.

Ciao

17. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I don't know if Maserati pretended to build the production Alfieri on a Portofino platform, but the looks are very different.

Actually the Maserati looks better.

crinoid and kandi like this.
  18. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    In my opinion the Ferrari design missed the boat with the tail lights. Looks too Corvette. I would have preferred to see the traditional double round lights incorporated into the design.

Radu and Caphill like this.
  19. Luque

Luque Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2009
    Italy
    Nope
    The project M189 is the replacement of the actual Granturismo M145. It will be offered as coupè and cabrio. ICE version and …. ;-)
    SOP end of 2021
    Luque

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  20. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    Not sure what the issue is? Ferrari like all other car makers is facing unprecedented change, at every level. Political, social, behavourial.

Complexity (connected. autonomous, electric mobility and fundamental changes to long-held business models) means planning for a profitable sustainable car business today makes climbing Everest in the dark wearing a swimsuit seem easy.

Ferrari has to navigate this mind-boggling transition while delivering its numbers. And protecting its huge brand while it evolves. If there's a design on the shelf that's worth using, so be it. Welcome to the new normal.

When PSA and FCA conclude their merger (which makes sense - Mr Tavares btw is super smart) expect huge ''synergies''. If VWG can successfully sell a VW and Bentley using the same platform, why shouldn't others follow? The likes of my F50 will never be made again, that's inevitable.

What is Ferrari in 2030 and beyond? I'm sure they are already thinking about that, they'd be mad not too. And I wouldn't be surprised if their planners haven't already outlined the transition roadmap.

So, if the Roma is based on the Maser, small beer. Just part of the journey.

Anyway off to see the new Matt Damon and Christian Bale movie today and can't wait.

Bundy and Caeruleus11 like this.
  21. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Ferrari isn't part of the FCA anymore and hypercars will continue to exist. BTW, the Roma is not built on a Maserati platform.
    I agree with all the other points you have made.

22. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Roma looks great to my eyes, clean and modern yest classicaly stylish, only the garish key fob lets it down.
    The cali was a stillborn maserati.

23. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    The Maserati Alfieri is shelved period. The new sports car that Maserati will debut next year will be a Mid Engine Carbon car powered by an ICE engine (probably the V6TT from the Alfa QV, but will have the capability to have a Hybrid and EV power.

24. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    Thanks. I do understand Ferrari is not part of FCA Group. John Elkann is however, unsurprisingly, Executive Chair of both. Nothing wrong in that at all, it would be strange for Ferrari not to benefit from synergy.

As for the Roma (even if not a Maserati platform), or any future Ferrari, the sharing of platforms inter-brand is inevitable, and from my personal perspective, a non-issue. So long as the planners find ways of ensuring the essence of Ferrari lives in whatever execution the marque will remain strong, and sustainable.

REALZEUS likes this.
  25. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    California was meant to be a Maserati at first so makes sense