Penske to buy Mercedes ? | FerrariChat

Penske to buy Mercedes ?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Mitch Alsup, Nov 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
  2. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
    Wow, Wow!!!
    And Red Bull-Mercedes? very difficult future for Ferrari.

Rifledriver and william like this.
  3. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    It’d be an interesting deal for him to buy the F1 team on the condition that MB makes IndyCar engines.

4. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Make IndyCar engines as in design a new one from scratch or swap the F1 MB engine into an IndyCar? Honda could swap theirs over with those rules no problem...not sure what Chevy would do...give up I guess haha.

5. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Hi Indy. Has been a long time since F1 was there :) Goodbye Miami or Vegas lol

6. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Penske in F1. Fantastic. I hope it happens.

7. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    What's the old joke..."How do you make a small fortune in auto racing? You start with a big fortune." The only reason I can see for him to buy a losing proposition is for the tax write off of the loss. Mercedes doesn't make money if F1, it just spends it there. Now if he bought F1 and then merged Indy cars and F1, that would be a better business model. Consolidation of the two series could give a solid field of cars and drivers and totally rewrite all the rules. And it would bring in teams that know how to run tight ships. You could actually throw out the slowest cars and still have an easy 20 to 24 cars on the grid. And you could return to a series with multiple engine configurations...hybrid vs pure gasoline engines...no capacity limits. And get away from 12 guys to change four tires and all the other overkill.

8. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

So, if I read that right, under Penske Mercedes would be supplier to ... Mercedes, McLaren, Williams, Racing Point plus Red Bull and its satelite Toro Rosso?
    That's 6 teams out of 10 !!!

So much for those who accused Mercedes of hegemony and domination in the past !

9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Penske has been in F1 before, with Mark Donohue and John Watson; they won 1 GP before leaving.

10. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Where does this guy get the money from? Selling meth? He had just bought half of American motorsport and now this.

Personally I don't want Mercedes out till they are beaten, dead and buried.

G. Pepper likes this.
  11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Roger Penske has such a good pedigree in business and motor racing , that he finds backers for his business.
    He didn't start with a personal fortune, but demonstrated a solid business acumen that attracted investors.
    That's the secret of his success, I think.

Sunracer likes this.
  12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    That would be a most impressive acquisition and way for the captain to return to F1 plus it would hugely boost F1 popularity in the US. I hope they find a better venue than Indy for a second US GP though.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  13. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
  14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

OK, but that doesn't tell you how Penske built his empire. He didn't start with a fortune.
    Like most entrepreneurs, the captain looked for opportunities, studied the market, wrote a credible business plan, then attracted investors and convinced them to put money in his new venture. Then, he managed soundly his business, made profit and kept the shareholders happy. You need skill to do that repeatedly.
    People aren't afraid of backing him up, because he is a successful businessman who inspires confidence.

15. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    He stopped racing to buy a Chevy dealership. He took the profits from that first dealership and bought more, and kept growing. It all started with the one dealership.

william likes this.
  16. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    He had some money to start. Now I think he is getting up there in age and is building a huge legacy. Kind of funny he started with tight racing connections to GM and Chevrolet back in the early 1960's. He helped run the factory Corvette Gransport team for Chevrolet and even assisted with the secret GM team Chaparral.

Sunracer and william like this.
  17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Penske bought his first Chevrolet dealership in Philadelphia by borrowing the money from GM, I read.
    But he had to stop racing as part of the deal, since GM didn't want its investment to be insecure.

18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Penske didn't have nowhere near enough money to start a business, but he had connections in the automotive sector and motor racing.
    He inspired trust and GM invested in him to buy and redress a Chevrolet dealership in Philadelphia that had been neglected.
    Penske threw all his business knowledge and enthusiasm to turn it around in a short time, and within a few years expanded to other dealerships.

19. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Roger's first wife was an heir to Stouffer Foods.

20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    [QUOTE="johnireland, post: 146906749, member: 206241"

Mercedes doesn't make money if F1, it just spends it there.

[/QUOTE]

How do you explain that the Mercedes-AMG F1 team declared a profit last year again?
    They have to balance the books to provide a dividend to their shareholders (MB, Toto Wolffe, the Lauda family and and a few others).
    Being registered as a British company, they can not fail to declare a profit for more than 3 years under Company Law.

21. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    How do you explain that the Mercedes-AMG F1 team declared a profit last year again?
    They have to balance the books to provide a dividend to their shareholders (MB, Toto Wolffe, the Lauda family and and a few others).
    Being registered as a British company, they can not fail to declare a profit for more than 3 years under Company Law.[/QUOTE]

Mercedes-AMG F1 team receives a net contribution of about £40M from Daimler AG (paying for "marketing", and getting some money back for supplying the engines), according to https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mercedes-finances-2018-profit-accounts/4551461/. So the F1 team is a marketing expense for Daimler-Benz; btw I think all F1 teams (considered as independent business entities) are about break-even.

william likes this.
  22. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #23 Jack-the-lad, Nov 16, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    Yes, I realize that, of course. It’s a shame he didn’t stay longer. I hope this isn’t just an empty rumor. He’s an amazing man. He is singlemindedly focused on success, no matter what the venture, and he has the ability to inspire others, from bankers to janitors, to work as a team to achieve a worthwhile goal.

william and Nembo1777 like this.
  23. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    how many dealerships does Penske own now? seems like they are everywhere

he owns the Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Range Rover and others here in Scottsdale

24. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley