Ferrari twin turbo V8 vs the competition | FerrariChat

Ferrari twin turbo V8 vs the competition

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 96redLT4, Nov 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    This has sort of become the engine du jour in high want cars and I was curious how Ferrari's tt V8 bests the competition, not just from McLaren but AMG and even BMW. I know F has won the engine of the year competition for a long time, therefore I'm curious what makes it so much better.

J

2. 355TDI

355TDI Karting

Feb 1, 2019
    London
    Full Name:
    Immat Wings
    McLaren have never been engine builders, it’s actually a Ricardo engine. Ricardo are a bit like Cosworth and have been around for a while. That’s a good engine and quite reliable but it’s architecture dates back to the 90’s so it suffers from turbo lag and poor sound compared to its rivals. It’s like a good looking woman with no personality if that makes any sense.

in any case, the innovation that has set the Ferrari TTV8 is the variable torque management some how they have managed to make the car behave like a NA engine. My friend has a Pista and the engine is mighty, instant response and they’ve basically eliminated lag, engineering witchcraft. I would say the AMG V8 is also magnificent and probably sounds the most characterful. It doesn’t feel like a race inspired engine though which is what Ferrari do so well. The AMG errs more to those thunderous American V8’s

Caeruleus11, stavura and 96redLT4 like this.
  3. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    I would say drive it if you haven't already, and you'll understand why. Especially if you have any sort of familiarity with other turbo cars like McLaren, Porsche TTS, etc

On sound and performance (linearity, instant throttle response, power from down low) it's brilliant and unique compared to anything else turbo that I've experienced (avoiding the NA vs turbo rabbit hole). YMMV

tomc likes this.
  4. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    ^^Great info. I did not know that about McLaren. I know Ferrari has its own foundry so they can control quality from start to finish. Thanks.

J

5. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I’m sorry but I disagree. The Ferrari TT V8 is very powerful and excellent, but it doesn’t behave like any NA engine I have ever driven, for better or worse. Drive a TT V8 Ferrari against its NA immediate predecessor and there is a gulf of difference, whether 458 vs 488 or Cali 30 vs Cali T.

The TT Ferrari V8 has much more in common, objectively, with the TT AMG V8 than it does with any NA Ferrari V8.

Note I’m not making any qualitative judgement here. The Ferrari TT V8 is a great engine. The Pista application is wonderful. So was the Speciale. But I am saying the Ferrari TT V8 is far less differentiated to other TT V8s than the NA Ferrari V8 was to other NA V8s. To use the example: both my 430 and my C63 AMG 6.2 have great NA V8s. As do the 488 and the whatever AMG V8 TT. But the latter are closer in character, by a multiple, than the former.

My favourite application of the Ferrari TT V8 to date is in the Lusso T, which (RWD) is really a sophisticated muscle car, loved it.

Conclusion, I think the OPs question was a good one and it just isn’t so much better than the competition. The cars may be though.

96redLT4 likes this.
  6. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Interesting comment. The reviews on these new turbo engines always seem to have the comment that 'they have reduced the turbo lag to zero or near zero' b/c that is what people want to hear. I don't think I have ever driven a turbo engine that I could not feel any lag, and I have driven a 488. I wonder if your thoughts have something to do with the sound as well.

J

7. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Ferrari typically "lags" the competition when it comes to revolutionary engineering.
    McLaren, Lambo and even lowly Alfa all have mass production Carbon fibre tubs.
    Consumer deaths in outrageously horsepowerd aluminum tub chassis in the hands of idiots can be handled in court.
    Much cheaper than re-engineering an outdated product line.

8. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    Going back even further. Disc brakes, fuel injection, 4 valve heads, etc.

9. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    My 458 Spider has the most responsive engine l have ever driven. This is my third Fcar. Had na Porsches, BMWs, supercharged Audi and a tt Audi.

10. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Good point. I think they sound similar too though you can disguise that through exhausts. But a 458 engine could never feel or sound like any other engine, while the turbo V8 engines just lack that difference. To your original point, I have always wondered what makes the Ferrari TT V8 any better than the AMG one, say. Whatever it is, it has to be quite marginal.

11. The 458's V8 is a better sounding and more fun car to rev out vs the 488's TT motor - I feel the 488 lacks that same emotion as the NA though it sort of is in the spirit of the F40 (understanding they are totally different cars).

There is definitely a "lag" but that is I think more from the torque management software than from actual turbo lag since it holds back torque at low revs in low gears.