For those with Satin PPF on gloss paint | FerrariChat

For those with Satin PPF on gloss paint

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by obbob, Nov 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    For those who decided to put Satin PPF such as XPEL Stealth on their gloss car, how did the end result look?

Every gloss PPF install that I've seen had visible edges and relief cuts, most commonly at corners and panel gaps. For gloss on gloss PPF, it's not that big of an issue since you will only notice it if you are literally 6 inches away from the edge.

However, with satin on gloss, I'm guessing the exposed glossy edges will catch the sun and thus stick out very noticeably.

Has anyone experienced this or is this not really what happens?

2. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    while I have not had it done on my cars I have a friend that did this on his GT4 and it looked good did not notice any issues ..

3. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I was actually going to do that on my 812, but the several shops I spoke with will not even install satin over gloss for that reason. It scared me off and I went with the regular PPF. No regrets.

4. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    No forum member has experience with this?

5. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    since starting this thread I spoke with several people offline. For most installs, the gloss paint will show at the edges and will stick out if the sun catches them. If you move far away from the car then they become unnoticeable, which is why the cars look great in photos but less so in person.

There is a way to get a completely seamless install, but that requires dismantling the car which comes with its own sets of problems.

6. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    CaliT UK and Thecadster like this.