Carey - F! Carbon neutral by 2030 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Carey - F! Carbon neutral by 2030

Discussion in 'F1' started by TonyL, Nov 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Burn it and make carbon dioxide?
    T

2. ak86

ak86 Rookie

Nov 18, 2019
    Full Name:
    Andreas Koeberl
    This is a great goal!

3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Interesting question.
    Don't take my word for it, but I read that you can recycle carbon fiber, to make new parts of lesser strength.
    F1 uses high grade CF, that could be recycled to make simple objects like furniture, suitcases, etc ...
    There is even a small sportscar manufacturer, Enos, I think, that claims building its chassis out of recycled carbon. fiber.
    But like any recycling, it's time consuming, labour intensive, and probably not very economical, therefore not attractive.

4. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    It's in fact ZENOS

5. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Out of curiosity, are you guy serious? You are joking, aren't you?

6. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Why the question ?
    Someone inventive enough can recycle almost any material.

7. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    /
    What it has to do with being "carbon neutral"?

8. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I was replying to post #50

[ Mitch Alsup said:
    What do they do with all that carbon fiber after a season is complete ? ]

His question wasn't about "carbon neutral", but about carbon fiber.

My answer was about the practical recycling of carbon fiber parts that start to litter many workshops, that I read about.

9. I don't know about anybody else, but I'm hugging my tree as we type.....not. ;)

10. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    More political BS from the snowflakes who now run F1. We'll be using carbon as long as we live on this planet.

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    We need carbon on the planet, but not too much; so it's a delicate balance to find.

For example, the increase in carbon emission should go together with more forestation.

It's the opposite that's happening.

12. #62 lorenzobandini, Nov 22, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    How many have forgotten that we, like the rest of life on this planet, are carbon based? ;)

Like I've said before, if we (humans) all stop breathing, we'll stop killing the planet. :)

13. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    All we need is a couple of enormous disasters to bring the world human population back down to 3 billion. Virus, famine, nuclear accident, some wars...or a combination of any and all...perhaps pushing humans back into a level of existence circa 1850...all large governments and societies collapsing into tortured moaning sobbing nomadic mobs. Mad Max meets Dr. Strangelove...and a good time to have some basic carpenter skills. The end of brassieres as we know them...giving mankind the pleasure of the ghost image of a woman's nipple through thin cotton as replacement for the NFL on 52" screens.

lorenzobandini likes this.
  14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Well, the much announced global warming should take care of that in centuries to come, with desertification of land masses, and sea level rising, less agricultural space to grow food bringing famine, the shrinking of living areas accelarating mass migration, itself triggering conflicts, etc ...
    That's at least the scenario some ecologists predict.

lorenzobandini likes this.
  15. #65 lorenzobandini, Nov 22, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    Exackly. The problem is, we're intelligent enuff, as opposed to the rest of the earth's inhabitants, to find remedies for the above enabling us to continue pulling ourselves..... Image Unavailable, Please Login
    (for the slower,...."down the toilet.")
    ;)

16. F430 F1 Singapore

Mar 4, 2016
    Singapore
    I resent that remark.

I occasionally enjoy watching paint dry. :D

stavura, A348W and lorenzobandini like this.
  17. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Actually food producing land masses would increase...the unfreezing of Greenland, the artic, the Finland, Norway, Sweden, large sections of Russia, the mountains of China and Nepal...all good trade off for Miami and New Orleans, Catalina, San Francisco, and West Los Angeles sinking underwater. Not to mention the women without bras...ahhh there's the rub.

18. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    dont forget that the oceans are the biggest sponge for CO2 uptake. Killing the oceans through pollution will destroy the earth much quicker.

william likes this.
  19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Some "experts" predict that the Equatorial region would expand, and that the region around the globe between the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn would become totally desertic, like scorched earth, unfit for agriculture or habitation. Unprotected from the sun, the Amazon would disappear, same for the African tropical forest and Asia would also been cut in half by a huge desert. That's the doomsday scenario of course.

20. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
  21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yes, Formula E has certainly attracted more constructors than F1.

G. Pepper likes this.
  22. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Being a cynic, I’d say it’s probably as it’s all R&D and likely attracts lovely tax benefits, and the companies can “appear” to bring nice to the environment for the ignorant people, ie masses!

stavura, SimCity3 and G. Pepper like this.
  23. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    "Some experts" predict lots of stuff...and "some experts" say that climate change is normal and we are getting as hysterical as Chicken Little. In the end we all believe the "experts" that agree with us and our biases.

william and lorenzobandini like this.
  24. Does anyone remember the "experts", during the early '70s gas crisis, advising of depleting the earths supply in a couple of decades?

It's been over four and the earth's still bleeding........who'd-a-thunk???!!! ;)

25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Climate change is cyclical, but this time there are 6 billions inhabitants on the planet, and the media stiring up mass hysteria.