Movie - Ford vs. Ferrari | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Movie - Ford vs. Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Ferrari 308 Vetro, Jun 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Saw it on the weekend with the missus. Factually correct or not we both liked it!!!

(besides when did Hollywood ever know the difference between fact and fiction?)

2. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I Loved the film!

Jasonberkeley likes this.
  3. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I Predict...Christian Bale...will be up for academy award...if Hollywood does not fall off face of map ..
    probably MD as well...his speech about not work if you like it was winning stuff!

4. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    this is Fchat. I'd venture there are a great number of fans of the marque here.
    Having said that, I'd venture most just enjoy a good race. Even when Ferrari is beaten, we are not such fanboys as to hate the better team.

5. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    Greatly enjoyed the movie. Enzo is portrayed far more favorably than Henry Ford II.

Jasonberkeley and G. Pepper like this.
  6. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Watched it last night with my wife and we both enjoyed it - that's what she told me anyway!

Hated the ending though...and surprised Ken took it so well based on his previous antics. Very wrong IMO.....and then just when you thought things could get any more depressing they did! :-(

7. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Superformance makes very accurate cars, but I wonder now if the cars have the FIA aluminum luggage boxes that flank each side of the exhaust pipes. I've seen a few Superformance owners have them, but most do not. I might watch the movie again a second time with some family that hasn't seen it yet.

The luggage boxes are the shiny aluminum boxes...probably good at heating up whatever is inside them lol. Red car is Gurney's pole position car (P1047). Black one is the 1966 winner P1046.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #83 Jack-the-lad, Nov 18, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    Good point. I don’t recall seeing the boxes on the replicas. Probably up to the owner to specify or delete them.

9. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    There were 20 inch low profile tires on the Cobra daytona...Thats a faux pas..
    Gonna look for pics..

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Also..the first race with Myles in the white AC, 67 vette with the stinger hood the race took place in 63..no split windows..they all looked like 64 cars except for the 67.

11. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    G. Pepper likes this.
  12. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Jasonberkeley likes this.
  13. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I don't think it actually had them. I thought j saw the same thing but I was wrong

14. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    I saw the film last saturday and thought it was pretty good. But the most important aspects are:
    - the film is a tribute to Ken Miles, who made the Ford GT what it was
    - the typical Corporate beaucracy and how it would have not won a race
    - and it showed how the head of the team has to have a vision and how to implement it, finding the right people, and making it all happen

Its interesting that Ken came from Sutton Coldfield, not that far from where I am sitting now.

15. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Enzo Ferrari did not attend the 24 HR Lemans.

Bryanp and technom3 like this.
  16. Banzai!

Banzai! Karting

Mar 1, 2013
    I saw the movie on its opening night and enjoyed it very much. To me, the movie is really a story about Ken Miles, his life, his triumphs and tragedy. Shelby, Ford, Enzo and the rest are all supporting characters. An important element that helps make the story compelling are the individual personalities of these main characters and their personal interactions between them. The actual racing is just the backdrop where it all took place.

As ran fans and enthusiasts, I think we are hard wired to scrutinize every last detail. We want the experience to be perfect, down to the rivet pattern and color of the exhaust. The movie makers priority here was to convey the story, not detail out everything to perfection. Lots of liberties were taken with both the storyline and accuracy of the hardware. The added expense to get it all right would not be justified and I'm alright with that. They got the basic facts and premise of the story.

I liked how they showed Enzo tip his hat to Ken, after he got screwed over. It was completely fictitious, but a nod to Ferrari which suggested unlike Ford, he recognized what really happened. Complete embellishment, but it still made me feel good inside.

17. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy Karting

Jan 5, 2011
    Central IN, USA
    Oh, they were definitely low profile tires on big wheels. Maybe not 20s, but at least 18".

18. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    Great film .
    Hope it’s starts a genre of car / driver / petrolhead movies that come alive ( from a marketing POV ) with the right casting .

Not fussed by a bit of Hollywood stretches of fact or blend a bit of fiction to make it more entertaining.
    There’s plenty of numb documentaries for historical purposes.

csmjr91090 and Jasonberkeley like this.
  19. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I just thought opening the movie with this sight was wrong...aside from being a pure Kitcar look , P cars do not belong...That front bumper is so off base.

20. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Purists will find many errors in the film. From an entertainment standpoint, my wife and I enjoyed every minute.
    Over on the Corvette Forum website, many of the posts are focused on the politics associated with the actors. Let's don't do that here. With respect to film..... it was good.

G. Pepper and NürScud like this.
  21. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    I wonder if superformance gt40s will get a small bump.

22. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    It certainly won't hurt. I actually looked for one the next day, but specifically a MKII RHD sill-shift one with a 427FE sideoiler like the originals.

Only found 1 like that but not assembled. Rest were the typical LHD small block punched out to a 427 which is more popular but not period correct.

23. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Saw the movie today. Was OK, but I know too much of the true facts to truly enjoy it!

24. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
    I have the feeling that this image is wrong too, the 330 P3 / P4 were built for 1966 and 1967 and the negotiations between Ferrari and Ford happened in 1963, these cars still did not exist.

25. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    I enjoyed movie. Really a story of friendship between Miles and Shelby with side story of corporate BS thrown in. Would have enjoyed a bit more facts about Ferrari development and the Ferrari vs Cobra duels

side note ... I was in USAF in U.K. in 1966-1970. Yeah , I’m really old. Saw lots of racing while there during that golden age. Ford GTs, Lolas, F1 racing, etc. I have fond memory attending BOAC 500 at Brands Hatch. Jackie Stewart drov a P4. Came in 2nd to a Buzz Hall Chaperelle. But I was absolutely entranced. ... mesmerized at beauty of P4. Most beautiful race car ever and what a sound it produced

steve

G. Pepper likes this.