Headers exhaust questions | FerrariChat

Headers exhaust questions

Discussion in '360/430' started by 550nitis, Nov 24, 2019.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Been seeing a lot of post of cracked headers and exhaust on the way out. I'm wondering if there is a way give it preventive maintenance and just get there swapped?

what header exhaust combo would be closest to stock?

2. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    From what I have seen, the metal is simply too thin to withstand the heat and possibly is not the best alloy they could have chosen, the manufacturer could have gone to a thicker gauge or a better alloy like hastelloy or similar, but the cost and weight would have gone up, proably way up

I am not aware of any after market header maker that has "pre-cats" in the header or metallic blankets welded on.

after market headers and a stock muffler are about as close you can get to stock unless you buy stock headers again.

3. SlowScud

SlowScud Karting

Oct 10, 2019
    Texas
    If my car wasn’t under warranty I would (starting with a clean car and with fresh fluids / filters / plugs) do the following:
    - Hill suspension bits
    - Aftermarket headers / brackets (any of the common ones, Capristo, FS, AP, Kline)
    - Scud F1 relay
    - Fresh battery
    - Fresh accumulator

Knock out that stuff on top of well cared for car and you should have many miles of trouble free motoring in front of you. Stay on top of service, warm it up properly, don’t do anything stupid and you’re all set. All the above installed at a good shop is under $10k.

4. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    #4 LightGuy, Nov 24, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    Ferrari warranty is 2 or 3 years ?
    They know milage will be minimal.
    So Why not design systems that need expensive repairs or maintenance beyond that if pure profit is the motive ?
    No way Ferrari enginnering didnt see this coming.
    Elsewise they are idiots.
    Its a simple freakin exhaust system for god's sake.

5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If you fit the Capristo expansion brackets, it will certainly reduce the stress on the manifolds- my brackets move about 15 mms so it just shows how much stress there is.

6. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Cracked exhaust is much more a 430 problem than a 360 problem. 360 had issues with the pre-cat. This thread is tagged 360 so cracking is not common and I wouldn't worry about preventative replacing headers.

sparetireless and Rifledriver like this.
  7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Precat failure is easily heard long before damage is done so I agree. Biggest enemy to precats is use with motor tuning issues anyway.

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Right or wrong Ferrari chose some time ago to define exhaust manifolds as a consumable item. Yes, they are too cheap to buy higher quality items. Part of the reason, and most manufacturers subscribe to this logic to some degree, if it outlasts the original buyer so he buys again it is good enough.

9. SlowScud

SlowScud Karting

Oct 10, 2019
    Texas
    Agree this is how manufacturers think about it unfortunately. I think it cost them more in the long run with hits to brand loyalty.

Reality is you could fix all common issues on these cars permanently for call it $10k. Now imagine these cars had a bullet proof reputation from the factory. Bet they sell for a lot more than $10k over current market.

The irony is that most of us have benefited from this if you think about it since most of us are probably not the original owners. So moral of the story, all the major bits on these cars are pretty damn good, plan to fix the smaller issues when they need it and just know that you got an awesome car at a discount because of it.

cole328 likes this.
  10. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003

good point, when they first fail is sounds like popcorn at idle, based on a super small sample size, so probably not true, drivers side MAY be prone to going first.