458 - Picked up my new 458 Italia / Pics | FerrariChat

458 Picked up my new 458 Italia / Pics

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Tarek307, Nov 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Well guys, today is my birthday, so happy birthday to me lol. 2010 458 28K miles, nose lift, LED steering wheel amongst the notable options.

I'm a Porsche guy, always drove Porsche & until last year when i bought my 360 Gated Manual Modena i had never thought i'd get into these Italians..its crazy to me, as even my work is Porsche (i am a very low volume dealer specializing in air cooled 911's)

I've had my Gated Modena a year put 10K miles on it and was toying with the idea of getting a 458, even though i never ever expected myself to enjoy a car that didn't have that 3rd pedal. I always said i don't care how good paddle shifter is, i need that manual.

For the past few months i've been casually browsing for 458's had to be black, had to be an Italia.i saw this one on ebay, it was local to me and the owner had just bought another car and wanted to sell this one for a very reasonable price.

I figured why not go check it out, so i went and checked it out last weekend, he let me drive it, and i was very impressed, that DCT trans is pretty awesome, and i really couldn't find a scratch on the car, interior & exterior are near perfect and it was inspected at Ferrari a couple of months ago and all that was noted is the coolant reservoir could possibly need to be changed soon and brake pads due at next service. The owner did have a buy bid already from a local dealer and was about to just sell to them so he'd have a quick simple deal. I thought about it for a couple of hours and ended up leaving a deposit Saturday and we concluded the deal today on my Birthday...

I got some real seat time in it today, took through some twisties, and slowly getting to feel the 458 out and get to know it. My dilemma is i can't keep both the 458 and my Gated Manual Modena so one of them will eventually have to go, but it will be a tough decision.

For now i'll just enjoy the 458 for a while and see if it'll really make me want to get rid of the manual 360..either way i can just drive it on my dealer plate don't have to worry about paying taxes/reg in this "trail" period- and if it doesn't totally captivate me i can always sell it,

I suspect my next thread will be a poll getting opinion on which would keep, Manual Modena or 458 lol.

Here are some pics i just took today.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Stunning. Thanks for posting. Ciao bella.

Tarek307 likes this.
  3. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Congrats !!!
    That road looks familiar ...near GMR?

Sent from my 16M

4. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Palos Verdes.

5. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Happy Birthday! Congratulations and enjoy in excellent health!!

Tarek307 likes this.
  6. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Happy birthday!

You know, in my opinion, the gated 6-speed 360 and the 458 Italia are two of the best Ferraris there are. I loved driving my gated 360 and swore after owning it (and also a gated manual F355), that I would never buy any Ferrari w/ an F1 gearbox.

But then I saw a black 458 parked outside a hotel in Long Beach...

At first, I was a bit luke warm on the idea of having an F1 transmission car. At the time, I guess I felt like it was too much like having an automatic transmission. But then I happened to watch a YouTube video showing how to drive one. I suddenly realized it's actually a manual gear box, not an automatic transmission at all. That realization allowed me to move forward on shopping for a 458. I think I've told the story before (here on Ferrarichat) of how I found a beautiful black one at Ferrari of SF, only to spend nearly a month grinding the price down, just to have someone else show up 1 day before I planned to visit the dealer w/ my check book and buy it right out from under me (and probably at the low, low price I had gotten the dealer down to). In the end, it worked out okay, because I found an nicer better Grigio Silverstone car - albeit for about $20K more.

If you are having qualms about letting go of your 360 with the manual gear box - don't. The 458 is such a better car from A-Z that you will find that you soon do not miss the 360, at least not too much. And besides, the gearbox in the 458 really is basically a manual transmission anyway. The only difference is you shift via the paddles and the ECU jumps in to work the clutch for you. Once you realize that, and drive it as such, it becomes a whole new world of fun.

Also, the DCT setup of the 458 is nearly bullet proof, as compared to the single disc clutch of the 360. The 458 also has timing chains, as opposed to belts, which is another big plus in my book.

Once you adapt to driving the 458, I think you'll see it's equally as rewarding to own and drive as the gated 360, if not even more so.

As long as you never drive the 458 in auto mode, it's downright amazing.

Ray

Caeruleus11, docf, BOKE and 1 other person like this.
  7. RWC58

RWC58 Karting

Oct 14, 2018
    Columbus Ohio
    Full Name:
    Robert W Crooks
    Ray is right . Drive the 458 and there will be no decision LOL !!!!

Tarek307 likes this.
  8. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Congrats !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tarek307 likes this.
  9. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Black looks menacing. I love it.

Tarek307 likes this.
  10. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    oh oh..houston we have a problem..this thing may not fit in my Garage..the Modena fits ok, i did scrape side of bumper once as its still tight (and always have to fold drivers mirror in) BUT the 458 seems much wider, i tried once but i'm by myself rite now and didn't dare push my luck. Will have to try again with a friend helping when i get back from a trip to cancun i'm taking tomorrow..boy oh boy, if it doesn't fit i will be heart broken :( I live in a condo in Belmont Shore, Long Beach and garages are small, and definitely can't park her in the street.

seems from the pics i have few inches on the right side..maybe she will fit with practice and seems on this one i'll have to fold BOTH mirrors in not like the 360 where i can just fold drivers side one.

Do the mirrors fold in automatically w a button on the 458 or no?

Excuse the dirty messy oily Garage, many Old air cooled 911 parts and oil stains lol

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  11. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    My 458 parking was a tight fit also. After a while, you get used to it and can park with your eyes closed almost. Don't forget the mirrors fold! :)

Ray

Tarek307 likes this.
  12. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    On your left, the button controlling the set up of mirrors, turn it half way toward bottom the mirror folds.

Caeruleus11 and Tarek307 like this.
  13. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    I found these measurements online -

360 Modena VS 458 Italia

Length 172.3 in 178.2 in
    Width 75.7 in 76.3 in
    Height 47.2 in 47.8 in
    Wheelbase 102.3 in 104.3 in

To give you guys an idea of how tight the fit of my Modena is here you go- Right side is even smaller so only the 911 fits in there. I literally have to squeeze out of the Modena..God this is gonna be tough with the 458

Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I think it will fit. I have similar problem with my friends where the garage is small and at an angle...takes multiple manœuvre to get it in but it does! I’m sure u will.
    Worse come to worse u might find a storage option nearby? But hopefully u don’t need that!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    oh, I see the solution..

At first I thought it might be that you need folding mirrors, but now I see you just need to bash out that center wall and install a steel header. The 458 should fit on the right and the 360 on the left.

problem solved.

Ray

GSF355 likes this.
  16. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Congratulations! I enjoyed my 458 ownership days.

17. spyder625

spyder625 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2017
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    beautiful, Good luck with her

18. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Black 458.....not sure it gets any better than that! Congrats!

19. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    great looking ride

20. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    if it had yellow calipers, yellow tach and yellow stitching instead of red it would be just a tad bit better haha

21. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Congratulations! When the problem is how to fit your Ferrari into the garage the other Ferrari and Porsche fit into, life is good! :)

Tarek307 likes this.
  22. tr328

tr328 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    Pacifica, California
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    Congrats! You will get use to pulling in and out the car with just a few inches on either side with practice, just take your time and you'll be fine. Nice looking car.

23. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    #23 Tarek307, Nov 27, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    Thanks all. Celebrating in Cancun, cheers.

Attached Files:

tickerhound, Need4Spd and Caeruleus11 like this.
  24. aatk

aatk Rookie

Nov 24, 2017
    Damn that’s a pretty car.

25. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward